As Hiram might say

Seconded.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG - Bristol Rovers

by RoyalBlue » 08 Nov 2023 10:37

Royal_jimmy Knibbs has got away with criticism but honestly what does he offer? He couldn't finish inside of his missus let alone any of his goalscoring chances. He doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough for the advanced position he has. Knibbs should be dropped for Mukairu.

What concerns me most about Knibbs is that he doesn't work hard enough/contribute enough defensively. A big concern when we are already particularly weak on the left in that department.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Nov 2023 10:50

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
blythspartan After that debacle I don’t know what to think anymore. I wanted a squad full of young hungry players with a few experienced ones to help them and that’s what we got. However, I am starting to think that the youngsters are not ready for this level. Alternatively, it could be that Selles has filled their heads with rubbish and they have no idea about what they’re doing.

All the other teams we have played have looked fitter and much better with the ball than us. The way Selles has wanted us to play has only really worked in the cups, which really just means that we have better youngsters.

Could a Wilder or a Warnock get more from these players or do we have to accept that the squad is League Two/National League standard? I watched Chesterfield play on Sunday and I hate to say it but they’re much better than us.

The squad is good enough. It's the manager.

Pretty sure we've been saying that about squads for most of the last few seasons. Usually turns out the squad also wasn't good enough.

Agreed it is both the manager and players that aren't very good.
Watching us last night against a team that sacked their manager for being mid-table and with the slowest striker in English football was seeing a side drifting towards relegation with no great effort to prevent it.

For me, seeing Azeez pulling out of a challenge and combining with Yiadom to let their wide player set up a goal for the aged centre-forward was unforgivable.

You don't have to be an experienced pro to show fight, it comes from a desire to do your best and week-in,week-out these players aren't doing their best.

I look around at our squad and Nelson Abbey is the only player that I really like-I wish I could like more of them but they look more and more like a 4th division side as the games pass by.

The manager still being in his job is just ridiculous-they aren't playing for him-so the longer he stays, the likelihood is relegation.

I don't want to watch 4th division football again-we have had enough of that in the past-and I think we would all get behind this team if they were to show the kind of effort that many of us put in by turning up on a Tuesday night .

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Nov 2023 10:51

RoyalBlue
Royal_jimmy Knibbs has got away with criticism but honestly what does he offer? He couldn't finish inside of his missus let alone any of his goalscoring chances. He doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough for the advanced position he has. Knibbs should be dropped for Mukairu.

What concerns me most about Knibbs is that he doesn't work hard enough/contribute enough defensively. A big concern when we are already particularly weak on the left in that department.

Couple that with Azeez on the other side and it is a recipe for defensive failure.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Nov 2023 11:16

South Coast Royal
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal The squad is good enough. It's the manager.

Pretty sure we've been saying that about squads for most of the last few seasons. Usually turns out the squad also wasn't good enough.

Watching us last night against a team that sacked their manager for being mid-table and with the slowest striker in English football was seeing a side drifting towards relegation with no great effort to prevent it.

For me, seeing Azeez pulling out of a challenge and combining with Yiadom to let their wide player set up a goal for the aged centre-forward was unforgivable.

You don't have to be an experienced pro to show fight, it comes from a desire to do your best and week-in,week-out these players aren't doing their best.

I look around at our squad and Nelson Abbey is the only player that I really like-I wish I could like more of them but they look more and more like a 4th division side as the games pass by.

The manager still being in his job is just ridiculous-they aren't playing for him-so the longer he stays, the likelihood is relegation.

I don't want to watch 4th division football again-we have had enough of that in the past-and I think we would all get behind this team if they were to show the kind of effort that many of us put in by turning up on a Tuesday night .

Completely agree. Last night was the first game I have been able to attend in the flesh for a while - the last being Exeter away. I know we lost at Exeter but the team showed some fight that day and I thought Exeter were very good and Reading a tad unlucky.

Last night but contrast was shocking. The complete lack of fight, the absolute inability to pick a pass, the failure to create anything at all upfront apart from the goal and Knibbs horrific miss. It was like watching a slow motion car crash. Selles simply has to go now. I honestly think Hunt is the better option until the ownership fiasco is settled.

To be fair the problem is less with our defence - who generally did ok apart from the goal - but our complete inability to create anything going forwards. Of the midfield and attack only Wing seemed up for the fight. And Elliott and Craig were lively when they came on - although not very effective.

If we don't sack Seles "immediately" we will be in League 2 next season for sure. And will we find our level then? Most likely a lot of the best players will go and we will be having to rebuild yet again for what seems like the fifth or sixth season in a row.

Supporting this club is beginning to feel like a real chore.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Nov 2023 11:39

andrew1957
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Completely agree. Last night was the first game I have been able to attend in the flesh for a while - the last being Exeter away. I know we lost at Exeter but the team showed some fight that day and I thought Exeter were very good and Reading a tad unlucky.

Last night but contrast was shocking. The complete lack of fight, the absolute inability to pick a pass, the failure to create anything at all upfront apart from the goal and Knibbs horrific miss. It was like watching a slow motion car crash. Selles simply has to go now. I honestly think Hunt is the better option until the ownership fiasco is settled.

To be fair the problem is less with our defence - who generally did ok apart from the goal - but our complete inability to create anything going forwards. Of the midfield and attack only Wing seemed up for the fight. And Elliott and Craig were lively when they came on - although not very effective.

If we don't sack Seles "immediately" we will be in League 2 next season for sure. And will we find our level then? Most likely a lot of the best players will go and we will be having to rebuild yet again for what seems like the fifth or sixth season in a row.

I am starting to fall into the ‘anyone is better than Selles’ camp

Be it Hunt, Bowen, a favour from Bowen’s mate Mark Hughes for a few weeks…

They seem to have given up. Selles has given up by changing shape and seemingly making us dull as well as shit

It is a chore going. I’m quite happy when I can’t make a game nowadays

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Nov 2023 12:00

andrew1957
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Strangely, I thought most, if not all, showed a fair amount of fight until Rovers equalised. At that point heads went down (confidence is clearly completely shot) and we lack real leaders on the pitch to pick people up by the scruff of the neck and get them going again. Yes, Yiadom tries (most of the time) as an individual but he really isn't a leader.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Nov 2023 12:18

Brogue
Millsy I liked Dorsett.

Lyme Regis? i hear it's nice at this time of year

Where's Lyme Regis?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 Nov 2023 12:28

I don't think fight is as much of an issue as fans make it out to be. When a team isn't winning, the first charge that football fans throw is that there is a lack of effort.

The truth is that as a team with a lot of young players, we will be in most games, and then the experience will kick in for the other team and they will likely come out on top. The only way you can rectify it is time so you gain that experience, but our league position shows that we don't have that luxury.

As James Harper said on the radio a few weeks ago, League 1 is a "man's league" and it's hard to win in it with a group of youngsters.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Nov 2023 12:28

Pepe the Horseman
Brogue
Millsy I liked Dorsett.

Where's Lyme Regis?

in Dorset, and yes, yes i do :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Nov 2023 12:30

:lol:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Nov 2023 12:32

I just want it to be enjoyable watching this team again, it`s just been so long.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Nov 2023 12:33

Brogue
Pepe the Horseman
Brogue

Where's Lyme Regis?

Selfish :x

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Nov 2023 12:39

andrew1957
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Why haven't you just prayed it better andrew?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Nov 2023 12:45

RoyalBlue
andrew1957
South Coast Royal

Strangely, I thought most, if not all, showed a fair amount of fight until Rovers equalised. At that point heads went down (confidence is clearly completely shot) and we lack real leaders on the pitch to pick people up by the scruff of the neck and get them going again. Yes, Yiadom tries (most of the time) as an individual but he really isn't a leader.

It’s confidence and belief more than effort

I think they’ve lost faith in what they are trying to do, maybe a bit with each other.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 08 Nov 2023 12:53

Sutekh
Stranded Can't really add much more but the most disappointing thing is in the first half we employed a half press which saw us turn over the ball 5 or 6 times in their third. It lead to the goal and the chance Knibbs should have taken for 2-0.

Then, for some reason, in the 2nd half, it just stopped & the team did as a result. It was almost if they accepted that Bristol would score and a draw was the best we could get.

Honestly no point in Selles now. He has abandoned his principles and made the team even worse as a result. Simply remove him, let Hunt takeover at least until any takeover completes. It can't be worse.

1 point from 9 in 3 consecutive home games & now we go away for the next two. I know we all expect to drop but jeez, a bit of fight would be nice.

But that needs a bit of organisation and flexibility from the management team as a game unfolds. Most of all it needs a plan and they are currently rarer in RG2 than a member of a Dai Yongge fan club.

If I join do I get a badge and stickers ?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Nov 2023 13:10

Brogue
Pepe the Horseman
Brogue

Where's Lyme Regis?

I don't see what Cyril Regis has to do with any of this. He's way past his prime. (also dead. but then so is Ejaria).

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Nov 2023 16:13

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957
South Coast Royal

Why haven't you just prayed it better andrew?

I am not sure even divine intervention will help the club now.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 Nov 2023 21:42

John Madejski's Wallet Christ I don't want to see Azeez start again this season. Its painful watching all that huffing and puffing and the inevitable losing of the ball

True, but he did put a few good balls into the box, which no-one decided to attack - albeit not helped by only having a single striker on the pitch who isn't really going to win much in the air.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Nov 2023 22:56

andrew1957 Supporting this club is beginning to feel like a real chore.

Beginning to?

Where have you been for the last few years?