Reading V Utd

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Sep 2006 23:47

I don't understand it, We've drew against Manchester United in the league and upon leaving the ground I felt disapointed as I felt we did enough to have won :shock:

How can this be? - Only a few seasons ago I used to leave games happy that we'd managed to pick up a point at home to the likes of Scunthorpe!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Sep 2006 23:48

Know what you mean forbury. If only we could of held on....
Before kick off would of been delighted with a point. 1-1 jsut feels slightly flat. Still im not complaining though.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 23 Sep 2006 23:49

Sonko/Ivar played very well IMO, although they weren't really tested in the air untill Saha came on. Murty also played well but he was done for the goal but you can forgive him that as the best full backs struggle to keep Ronaldo in check.

Harper, Sidwell and Convey were poor, only Seol looked a threat of the midfield. Harper and Sidwell allowed Carrick and Fletcher too much space in the middle and didn't harrass or close down quick enough for my liking.

Lita used the ball well and gave as good as he got, Doyle was fairly quiet and should have taken his chance in the first half.

I thought United were very poor and despite having almost all of the possession they failed to create any clear cut chances. Heinze was given the run around by Seol and was lucky not to get sent off. Richardson had a shocker, as did Gary Neville. Rooney was isolated upfront untill Saha came on and was a shadow of his normal self. The only player to really do anything was Ronaldo, who showed his class with the goal that got United out of jail.

Regarding the United support, the criticism is harsh as I thought they were the loudest since the away end was cut to 2,300. I'm sickened to hear reports of trouble and Reading fans being beaten up left, right and centre. Then again if you go around winding up people don't be surprised when they bite back.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Sep 2006 23:51

What did you think of our fans alad?

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 23 Sep 2006 23:53

alad Reading fans being beaten up left, right and centre. Then again if you go around winding up people don't be surprised when they bite back.

Couldn't resist could ya? :lol:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Sep 2006 00:30

To be fair form his silence, I think he's a little shocked at just how loud our fans are. The united support watched on for about 20 minutes when they were consistently mocked by the home support. Only when ronaldo scored did you hear a peep from them for the remainder until a few minutes from time. They were pretty good in the opening 20 mins, made some fair noise. Overall, they were outsung and several comments outside the ground suggested shock on their behalf.
I was having a chat with one guy who has followed united in europe for 20 years and said galatasaray have nothing on the mad stad.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 24 Sep 2006 10:17

FiNeRaIn I was having a chat with one guy who has followed united in europe for 20 years and said galatasaray have nothing on the mad stad.

Sweet. :)

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 24 Sep 2006 13:01

FiNeRaIn To be fair form his silence, I think he's a little shocked at just how loud our fans are. The united support watched on for about 20 minutes when they were consistently mocked by the home support. Only when ronaldo scored did you hear a peep from them for the remainder until a few minutes from time. They were pretty good in the opening 20 mins, made some fair noise. Overall, they were outsung and several comments outside the ground suggested shock on their behalf.
I was having a chat with one guy who has followed united in europe for 20 years and said galatasaray have nothing on the mad stad.

I really don't get this ... every post-Utd-match thread on this board is banging on about the incredible, unsurpassed, wall of sound we were supposed to have created... I was sitting top of R31 and in the first half at least it wasn't that brilliant at all, quite patchy in fact with long quiet periods where the ground felt very nervous and tense - at first cos we expected to get hammered and then as it dawned on us that we were in fact holding our own quite well, cos we were too intensly focused on the game to loosen up and make some noise.

I mentioned a couple of time to my mates: "this won't be sounding too brilliant on Sky"

It really was only in the second half after the penalty that we got into it ... we still need the team on the pitch to get us going, rather than stoke up the excitement and passion themselves.

In the second half, once it got going - yes, brilliant. And at the risk of getting up everybody's nose, the loudest and proudest chant (volume wise) was still when all 4 sides got behind the drummer: bang-bang-bang-READING

"Sonko Is Superman" and "We Support Our Local Team" were both awesome though!!

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 24 Sep 2006 13:07

FiNeRaIn To be fair form his silence, I think he's a little shocked at just how loud our fans are. The united support watched on for about 20 minutes when they were consistently mocked by the home support. Only when ronaldo scored did you hear a peep from them for the remainder until a few minutes from time. They were pretty good in the opening 20 mins, made some fair noise. Overall, they were outsung and several comments outside the ground suggested shock on their behalf.

agreed....seemed a fair few Reading lads up for it coming out of y25/y26...LOLove it!!

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 24 Sep 2006 13:32

Cemy Junction Expat we were too intensly focused on the game to loosen up and make some noise. I mentioned a couple of time to my mates: "this won't be sounding too brilliant on Sky"

talking to your mates :roll:

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 24 Sep 2006 14:09

M4 Junction 11
Cemy Junction Expat we were too intensly focused on the game to loosen up and make some noise. I mentioned a couple of time to my mates: "this won't be sounding too brilliant on Sky"

whats worse was that it did sound brilliant on Sky. And everyone is commenting on the excellent atmosphere. Just because there was a couple of quiet spells doesn't reflect badly on us. Noone can keep going for 90minutes. overall it sounded brilliant.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Sep 2006 14:27

On TV it sounded incredible. Non stop chanting from us. There only one period where the (so called) Mancunians were singing a Ronaldo chant but that was it for them.

Totally outsung them, which is not that easy considering the away lot have acoustics on their side at the MadStad.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 24 Sep 2006 14:30

The away end is too small for any side to create much atmosphere IMO, United did their best and for the first 20 or so minutes they were pretty good. It's hard to hear much in the North stand/East corner as you have BANG BANG BANG ehoeing in your hear all game.

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 24 Sep 2006 15:21

M4 Junction 11

this was in a spoken-out-of the-side-of-the-mouth-whilst-eyes-glued-on-the-action sort of way

and yeah OK I should have been singing instead! :oops:

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 24 Sep 2006 15:23

zac naloen
M4 Junction 11

whats worse was that it did sound brilliant on Sky. And everyone is commenting on the excellent atmosphere. Just because there was a couple of quiet spells doesn't reflect badly on us. Noone can keep going for 90minutes. overall it sounded brilliant.

OK fair comment - not trying to rain on the parade. I guess the right conclusion is - it can get even better!!! :wink:

Legend

by Legend » 24 Sep 2006 15:24

alad The away end is too small for any side to create much atmosphere IMO, United did their best and for the first 20 or so minutes they were pretty good. It's hard to hear much from the telly so i am in no position to comment.

:lol:

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 24 Sep 2006 15:31

alad The away end is too small for any side to create much atmosphere IMO, United did their best and for the first 20 or so minutes they were pretty good. It's hard to hear much in the North stand/East corner as you have BANG BANG BANG ehoeing in your hear all game.

cardiff, plymouth amongst others were far better than united!!

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 24 Sep 2006 15:36

Sharpy
alad The away end is too small for any side to create much atmosphere IMO, United did their best and for the first 20 or so minutes they were pretty good. It's hard to hear much in the North stand/East corner as you have BANG BANG BANG ehoeing in your hear all game.

cardiff, plymouth amongst others were far better than united!!

Plymouth had the whole end, to be fair.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Sep 2006 15:38

Feyenoord were better than united and they had 600 fans.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 24 Sep 2006 15:38

:D

Many lower division teams seemed to have no problem making more noise than Manchester United did yesterday.

LOL @ 'the best fans in the country'