Refwatch...LIVERPOOL(A)

Elm Park Forever

by Elm Park Forever » 04 Nov 2006 20:03

Having been to the game I thought he was completely bias towards them as did large sections of our crowd. I know it is natural to blame the referee but there were several times when we were obviously fouled and got nothing and then when we went on the attack he would blow for seeimingly nothing. I didnt really see much of the penalty incidents but he did seem overly picky to me

Gordon Cumming's right ho

by Gordon Cumming's right ho » 04 Nov 2006 20:05

thought he had a pretty good game, except when he gave a Scally free kick for the disallowed goal.....Reina was clearly impeded by Crouch and Bikey ? won the header....

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 04 Nov 2006 21:27

Gordon Cumming's right ho thought he had a pretty good game, except when he gave a Scally free kick for the disallowed goal.....Reina was clearly impeded by Crouch and Bikey ? won the header....
NBA fans will have appreciated the way he won his own rebound to put the ball away. Andre Stephane is rapidly becoming a favourite in the Arch household

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Nov 2006 21:35

I like him a lot. Just what we need, bit of an animal, touch of class, massive physique, and real presence and poise.

He might be a bit naive in his challenges at times but the Coppell brand of mental discipline seems to be having its effect and I think he could be a bit of a star for us in the future.

NottsRoyal

by NottsRoyal » 05 Nov 2006 21:11

B16 From watching it on t'internet he was consistent through out and let a couple of challenges go that most other refs might have blwon for but he let the game flow and there were no diabolical decisions.
What about Gerards handball - a blatent penalty denied us.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 06 Nov 2006 09:43

NottsRoyal What about Gerards handball - a blatent penalty denied us.

He gave the foul against Sodje for Climbing. Funny how Liverpools first goal stood, Crouch was all over Sodje :?
Anyone notice how Crouch always jumps with his forearm across the defenders shoulders pushing their head forward? Rennie didn't :(

Every set piece, every forward move, every time the ball entered the box second half he blew for a push/foul against Reading. It was laughable.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 06 Nov 2006 10:02

Anyone remember the last good referee we've had :(

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Nov 2006 10:16

Howard Webb against Man City.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 06 Nov 2006 11:09

handbags_harris Howard Webb against Man City.

We should clone him, import his memories and get him ref'ing every game.

I don't care if its impossible. I want it done.

:wink:

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 06 Nov 2006 11:16

funny how when we're England fans we all howl that Crouch gets penalised because he's too tall

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Nov 2006 17:01

No, it's not a case of being too tall, it's a case of he consistently puts his arms on the shoulders of defenders to gain a lift when going for a header which in effect forces the defender down, preventing a clean challenge. This is a foul as it is an unfair jump. Unfortunately English referees either a) fail to spot it because they aren't good enough or b) are too weak to give it. Continental referees obviously spot it more often, probably because they're better. After all, they haven't got to the position they are in for nothing (as debatable as that may seem!).

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 06 Nov 2006 17:10

Wax Jacket funny how when we're England fans we all howl that Crouch gets penalised because he's too tall

As a non england fan but I will support them when they are playing I can tell you that my opinion of Crouch is he has as Much skill as a Dead dog so he makes up for this by making the I'm too tall excuse.. He is a blatant Cheat and I bet he knows it.

He intentionally Holds defenders down.. Anyone remember him against trinidad and Tobago when he actually pulled the defenders Pony Tail to hold him down??

I am of the belief that there are far better strikers in England. Darren Bent and Rooney up from would be more effective

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 06 Nov 2006 20:58

I know this sounds like sour grapes but the referee had a significant influence on the match. We were denied two penalties, every time we looked dangerous Rennie would pull us up for I-have-no-idea. Crouch climbed over Sodge for their first goal. You had to be there to believe it. MOTD didn't show any of this. I think if anything we're being soft on Rennie. I'm not saying he was deliberately biased but never underestimate the influence a big team has, especially at home, in terms of referees not wanting to get on the wrong side of them. The big clubs have influence over footballing matters that we simply do not have. In some ways, we may have just not bothered turning up - we weren't going to be allowed to go away with even a draw. We've seriously underestimated how Rennie prevented us from having any chance of getting nay sort of result. God knows what he would have done had Harper or Hunt scored (first and second half).

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Nov 2006 08:38

Personally I didn't think he was much kop for Liverpool on some occasions letting one or two dubious things go that I've seen other refs give. Definitely appeared a bit of a 'homer' overall though.

NottsRoyal

by NottsRoyal » 07 Nov 2006 09:56

Spirit of Elm Park
NottsRoyal What about Gerards handball - a blatent penalty denied us.

He gave the foul against Sodje for Climbing. Funny how Liverpools first goal stood, Crouch was all over Sodje :?
Anyone notice how Crouch always jumps with his forearm across the defenders shoulders pushing their head forward? Rennie didn't :(

Every set piece, every forward move, every time the ball entered the box second half he blew for a push/foul against Reading. It was laughable.
I don't see how Sodje coud be climbing when Gerrards arme was over his shoulders. Either way - as you say a bizzare decision when Crouches goal stood.