What the papers say: Chelsea

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What the papers say: Chelsea

by bigmike » 28 Dec 2006 11:55

Uke
Rev Algenon Stickleback H the sun has traditionally been a tory paper, and most of its columnists have tory leanings. They very much broke with tradition to back labour in the 90s after being a total staunch tory paper previously.

Nope,

The Sun was a Labour paper until bought in the 1960's by a new Australian proprietor..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sun_%28newspaper%29#The_Sun_before_Murdoch

Does that change the fact that Margaret Twatcher is a stupid bint who sold the country down the river? Sold our Trains sold our post office sold anything she could for short term gain and now we have to pay for her Mistakes

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 28 Dec 2006 12:19

The Daily Mail has one great use. It uses a special print that doesn't come off on the hands so therefore can be used as an ar*e wipe. I can't think of any other use.

More to the point, I thought the vast majority of reports as well as the comments from The Special One were well balanced and fair to us, with just one Chelsea supporting journalist allowing his bitterness to spill over and even that makes me smile. If Chelsea lose the championship by just a couple of points this year then we can all email him and tell him it was all down to us.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 28 Dec 2006 12:26

Royal Lady
Schards#2 His e-mail address is at the foot of the report:

m.lawton@dailmail.co.uk

I have just emailed Mr Lawton suggesting that his newspaper might like to make a retraction and a donation to either the RFC Academy or a charity of Stephen Hunt's choice. I have also stated that if he does not apologise, I hope the legal bods acting for RFC take him and his newspaper to court. Barstewards. :twisted:

go girl. i posted a comment under the article...well tried too. used abit more harsher words than yours though LOL so i cant see it getting posted

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 28 Dec 2006 14:05

Deadlock
Far Canal Referee Alan Wiley had a discussion with Ingimarsson after the Iceland defender reacted outrageously to an irritated jab in the stomach from Drogba.
So punching someone in the stomach is not outrageous behaviour in itself, or am I missing something?

Does seem a rather biased report.

not really the point of this thread but ivar did go down very easily, thought we were better than that :?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Dec 2006 14:07

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL
Deadlock
Far Canal Referee Alan Wiley had a discussion with Ingimarsson after the Iceland defender reacted outrageously to an irritated jab in the stomach from Drogba.
So punching someone in the stomach is not outrageous behaviour in itself, or am I missing something?

Does seem a rather biased report.

not really the point of this thread but ivar did go down very easily, thought we were better than that :?

Jab caught him around the diaphragm area, can cause you to be winded in which case you would go down as you try to catch your breath.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 28 Dec 2006 14:29

bigmike
Uke
Rev Algenon Stickleback H the sun has traditionally been a tory paper, and most of its columnists have tory leanings. They very much broke with tradition to back labour in the 90s after being a total staunch tory paper previously.

Nope,

The Sun was a Labour paper until bought in the 1960's by a new Australian proprietor..

Does that change the fact that Margaret Twatcher is a stupid bint who sold the country down the river? Sold our Trains sold our post office sold anything she could for short term gain and now we have to pay for her Mistakes

Hey bigmike sorry your state run Utopia has passed away - it had been ill for a while. Dont think there's much chance of a re-incarnation either.

Perhaps you should consider looking elsewhere. I hear housing is cheap and the buses run on time in North Korea - Enjoy!

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 28 Dec 2006 14:36

Yayyyy.... at last the typical Mail-reading, extreme right wing, semi-educated response to anything that doesn't follow the nasty little way they want things to be. 'Any dissent from my views? Tell 'em to go and live in North Korea' (or wherever the latest despotic regime currently exists - strangely enough this is the sort of regime that the moronic right would want for us).

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 28 Dec 2006 15:04

Uke

Nope,

it only started in 1964. For almost all of its time it's been a tory paper.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 28 Dec 2006 16:11

Hampshire Royal Yayyyy.... at last the typical Mail-reading, extreme right wing, semi-educated response to anything that doesn't follow the nasty little way they want things to be. 'Any dissent from my views? Tell 'em to go and live in North Korea' (or wherever the latest despotic regime currently exists - strangely enough this is the sort of regime that the moronic right would want for us).

Yayyyy ..... at last typical Guardian - reading, extreme left wing, uselessly over-educated response to anything that does not follow the state sponsored, totalitarian, nasty little way they want things to be. Any dissent from my views? Tell 'em to go and live in America' (or wherever the latest democratic regime currently exists - strangely enough this is the sort of regime that the envious left would want for themselves, but would never work hard enough for).

Chuckle chuckle chuckle - Hampshire you actually don’t know how far off the mark you are. Makes me smile though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 28 Dec 2006 16:16

Actually.. it really is quite interesting to research the events prior to 97, when the Sun changed it's allegiance.. Can't recall the details, but Greg Palast wrote some interesting stuff on it. Something to with News Corp having problems with the unions that "magically" went away when old Tony took over..

That's what makes me chuckle about the left v right arguments on here. All politicians are greedy, corruptible and ultimately always answer to big business... Makes no difference whether the party is to the left, right, or the quite ghastly centre...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Dec 2006 16:20

hmm - my email was returned - unable to deliver to that address. :roll:

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 28 Dec 2006 16:24

I left a comment that was perfectly civil, but still it was not put on the site!

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 28 Dec 2006 16:36

Northern Git
Hampshire Royal Yayyyy.... at last the typical Mail-reading, extreme right wing, semi-educated response to anything that doesn't follow the nasty little way they want things to be. 'Any dissent from my views? Tell 'em to go and live in North Korea' (or wherever the latest despotic regime currently exists - strangely enough this is the sort of regime that the moronic right would want for us).

Yayyyy ..... at last typical Guardian - reading, extreme left wing, uselessly over-educated response to anything that does not follow the state sponsored, totalitarian, nasty little way they want things to be. Any dissent from my views? Tell 'em to go and live in America' (or wherever the latest democratic regime currently exists - strangely enough this is the sort of regime that the envious left would want for themselves, but would never work hard enough for).

Chuckle chuckle chuckle - Hampshire you actually don’t know how far off the mark you are. Makes me smile though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blimey, touched a nerve, or what!! I detest the Guardian, if I read a paper at all it's either the Sun or the Telegraph. I am not extreme left-wing, I am not over-educated, I don't want to live in America (I've worked over there and really dpon't like the way they do things, or the mindset of the majority of the population). I do work hard and am extremely successful. I don't like to blow my own trumpet too much, but I probably earn more than anyone else who reads this board (players, SC and JM excluded of course). I am seriously thinking about leaving this country and moving to Switzerland (a right wing country) where I can pay a reasonable amount of tax (rather than the marginal rate I pay now of 54%+) and enjoy a standard of living which we can only dream of in this country.

I'm glad I made you smile - it is my main function in life, after all. And maybe you hit the nail on the head with your analysis of my character.......or maybe not!

Happy New Year - I'm off to Montreux tomorrow to celebrate there!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Dec 2006 16:43

Royal Lady hmm - my email was returned - unable to deliver to that address. :roll:

Maybe his mailbox is full! Great pity if it is so full of spam that we can't let him know what we think!

hobbit

Roy Bentley

by hobbit » 28 Dec 2006 16:44

From the telegraph report

"Before showing their attacking edge, Coppell's side had to endure a buffeting in the first period. For 45 minutes, and into the break, Chelsea celebrated their title credentials. During the interval, Roy Bentley, the captain of the 1955 side, was presented with a photograph of himself and Ted Drake, Chelsea's then manager"

Shame they could not also include the connection with Reading which could also be why this presentation was made at this game..
Roy Bentley - Reading manager 1963-1968 and later returned as Reading Secretary in 1977.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 28 Dec 2006 16:46

Hampshire Royal
Northern Git

Blimey, touched a nerve, or what!! I detest the Guardian, if I read a paper at all it's either the Sun or the Telegraph. I am not extreme left-wing, I am not over-educated, I don't want to live in America (I've worked over there and really dpon't like the way they do things, or the mindset of the majority of the population). I do work hard and am extremely successful. I don't like to blow my own trumpet too much, but I probably earn more than anyone else who reads this board (players, SC and JM excluded of course). I am seriously thinking about leaving this country and moving to Switzerland (a right wing country) where I can pay a reasonable amount of tax (rather than the marginal rate I pay now of 54%+) and enjoy a standard of living which we can only dream of in this country.

I'm glad I made you smile - it is my main function in life, after all. And maybe you hit the nail on the head with your analysis of my character.......or maybe not!

Happy New Year - I'm off to Montreux tomorrow to celebrate there![/quote]

And a Happy New Year to you! Not at the Hammers game?

Smillie's Dive

by Smillie's Dive » 28 Dec 2006 16:49

Hey Hampshire. How on earth do you know what we all earn?

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 28 Dec 2006 17:02

Yes quite. I earn 24 million pounds a year..

loyalroyals9

by loyalroyals9 » 28 Dec 2006 17:06

purleyroyal
Far Canal sportinglife.com

...disaster struck eight minutes later when Reading produced the equaliser...

Is this unbiased reporting? :?

No definetly not! :roll:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 28 Dec 2006 18:00

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Uke

Nope,

it only started in 1964. For almost all of its time it's been a tory paper.

Nah, for 100% of its time its been a populist paper