Ulises de la Cruz - listen to 5Live later - charitable works

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 27 Jan 2007 21:36

There's a real opportunity to support one of our players here, does anyone know where can we contribute to his foundation??

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 27 Jan 2007 21:50

This is on the BBC News front page http://news.bbc.co.uk/ and is on the most emailed story list :shock:

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 27 Jan 2007 22:01

:shock: :shock:
A whole 10% of his salary!!!
I'm sorry but no matter how much one earns one doesn't give away a whole 10% of one's salary to charity. That's incredible.

Many Christians do, it's called tithing and has been going on for centuries. That's why you'll find old Tithe barns out in the sticks where people brough a tenth of their produce.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 27 Jan 2007 22:05

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Jan 2007 22:14

Joe 90 :shock: :shock:
A whole 10% of his salary!!!
I'm sorry but no matter how much one earns one doesn't give away a whole 10% of one's salary to charity. That's incredible.

Many Christians do, it's called tithing and has been going on for centuries. That's why you'll find old Tithe barns out in the sticks where people brough a tenth of their produce.

Oh yeah I know, every religion has it and societies functioned on these charitable donations for years.

But I'm talking about this secular horrible day and age - apart from religious people, it is extremely rare.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 27 Jan 2007 22:24

RIP Elm Park wrote:
There's a real opportunity to support one of our players here, does anyone know where can we contribute to his foundation??
Im sure if the club were to host something like an end of season charity match at least part in Aid of DLC`s foundation the royals fans would be most generous.Boris Johnson XI a must!
There are a number of ways to directly donate to Ecudorian charities but I cant find a link to DLC`s own foundation.It doesnt appear to have a net presence so far as I can see.Perhaps the club could do an article on DLc`s foundation in matchday progs and publish the means to contribute. Its refreshing in these days of Bentley driving over paid premadona mercenaries that we have a player with a broader peripheral vision.

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 27 Jan 2007 22:26

higher RIP Elm Park wrote:
Im sure if the club were to host something like an end of season charity match at least part in Aid of DLC`s foundation the royals fans would be most generous.Boris Johnson XI a must!
There are a number of ways to directly donate to Ecudorian charities but I cant find a link to DLC`s own foundation.It doesnt appear to have a net presence so far as I can see.Perhaps the club could do an article on DLc`s foundation in matchday progs and publish the means to contribute. Its refreshing in these days of Bentley driving over paid premadona mercenaries that we have a player with a broader peripheral vision.

I've stuck a thread in th STAR forum to see if they can find out how we could support this.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 27 Jan 2007 22:28

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Jan 2007 10:41

10% of 50K a month is just £5K. Does that really pay for buildings?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 29 Jan 2007 10:56

SpaceCruiser 10% of 50K a month is just £5K. Does that really pay for buildings?

With cheap labour (charity workers in the picture below) in the region and the type of materials they need that will probably go a long way.

Pledge your support.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2007 11:22

AthleticoSpizz
Stranded I for one did not think DLC was good enough and am happy to be proved wrong - I have always been aware of his charitable work and do not see why that should stop be from voicing an opinion on him as a football player.
so what are the opinions four games on the bounce?

That he is becoming a decent member of the squad. Something that in previous outings in both first and reserve team that I had seen I didn't think he would be.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Jan 2007 11:30

SpaceCruiser 10% of 50K a month is just £5K. Does that really pay for buildings?

£5000 a month?

That's still a LOT of money, Spacey.

Something I'd already heard about DLC but its good to have that story given a wider press. Given that most footballers could easily spare £5 k a month, its good to see at least one of them doing it.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Jan 2007 11:39

papereyes

£5000 a month?

Something I'd already heard about DLC but its good to have that story given a wider press. Given that most footballers could easily spare £5 k a month, its good to see at least one of them doing it.

Yes, it's a lot of money, I couldn't afford to give away such a sum, but I'm thinking in terms of properties. Over here, 5K is a piffling amount and would not buy a 1 room flat in Chelsea.

fruits

by fruits » 29 Jan 2007 11:39

Cookie
De La Cruz has funded schools and medical centres
In fact, De La Cruz practically bankrolls his local area in the absence of any real government funding, or interest.

Among other things, the money Reading pay him is currently funding a medical centre, plus the salaries of a doctor, dentist and nurse.

Legend huh, he's bigger than that. Pound for pound he's a bigger man than Abramovich.

With the Russian charity begins at home, his.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Jan 2007 11:44

SpaceCruiser
papereyes

£5000 a month?

Yes, it's a lot of money, I couldn't afford to give away such a sum, but I'm thinking in terms of properties. Over here, 5K is a piffling amount and would not buy a 1 room flat in Chelsea.

But he's not flying his relatives over to live in Chelsea is he?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jan 2007 12:26

SpaceCruiser
papereyes

£5000 a month?

Aren't there some places up north where you can buy a house for like £2000?

Just imagine what it must be like out there in a random village then. Yes labour/ building materials/ buildings etc are cheap.

But that doesn't detract from his commitment to helping them out of course. 10% is still masses. I really hope he goes via the gift aid system and gets tax back on that!

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 29 Jan 2007 14:50

On Saturday Tit Dellar was talking about De La Cruz's donations, and he also mentioned that he knew of a few Reading players who he has heard make large anonymous donations to charities etc.

There is a lot to criticise about American society, but there seems to be a lot more peer pressure over there for their Sports millionaires to off load some of their cash to good causes. A lot of players contribute heavily to projects in their home towns.
It would be good if a lot more Premiership players got the habit, as long as it didn't see the Government using it as an opportunity to cut funds here and there.

leyton royal

by leyton royal » 29 Jan 2007 15:00

SpaceCruiser wrote:
10% of 50K a month is just £5K. Does that really pay for buildings?

With cheap labour (charity workers in the picture below) in the region and the type of materials they need that will probably go a long way.

You are right, building materials and and labour are cheap as chips in South America, also on the subject of DLC's general alround goodness - My missus was in a Latin restaurant, DLC and Angel were in there eating - apparently DLC was superb talking to people, signing autographs etc - Angel was a right oxf*rd playing the "i'm better than you.." card, didn't go down well with the Colombians there.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Jan 2007 15:00

Great Knolly It would be good if a lot more Premiership players got the habit, as long as it didn't see the Government using it as an opportunity to cut funds here and there.

For all we know they already do donate alot of money. We are not privvy to their bank accounts are we?

Apparently Beckham donates shedloads.I know he can afford to, but no-one puts a gun against his head.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 29 Jan 2007 15:02

Great Knolly On Saturday Tit Dellar was talking about De La Cruz's donations, and he also mentioned that he knew of a few Reading players who he has heard make large anonymous donations to charities etc.

There is a lot to criticise about American society, but there seems to be a lot more peer pressure over there for their Sports millionaires to off load some of their cash to good causes. A lot of players contribute heavily to projects in their home towns.
It would be good if a lot more Premiership players got the habit, as long as it didn't see the Government using it as an opportunity to cut funds here and there.

A good example is Reggie Bush (New Orleans Saints running back) has given a lot of money to Katrina victims.

Also Dirk Kuyt was in the paper this weekend for his charity work