Robin Friday

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 21 Feb 2007 16:16

Pants of Primus
John Madejski's Wallet He was a nasty, little pikey waster.

Yes he had buckets of talent but he doesn't deserve the worship

What a lovely thing to say about someone who is dead, on a website that his family read. Nice one.

I wasn't aware that the Friday family read this website.

Canary-Royal

by Canary-Royal » 21 Feb 2007 16:25

He certainly looked fantastic in the 1970s 4th Division
The last game of the season against Crewe was televised - we won 3-1 but he spent most of the time pulling faces for the camera as we were already promoted.

I wonder how good he would look if we had the video footage to go through - I reckon its best that we don't really know

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

by Z-Head » 22 Feb 2007 10:05

Pants of Primus

What a lovely thing to say about someone who is dead, on a website that his family read. Nice one.

And thats just why we love him. Because He stuck two fingers up to the likes of you.

LONG LIVE FRIDAY!!!!!

Ps My Son is called Robin Gilkes Garland! :D
Last edited by Z-Head on 22 Feb 2007 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Feb 2007 10:21

Vision
Glen Little is better and producing in the top tier of English football..

I think you're missing the point. Robin Friday had charisma, something different, and whenever you went to see him play there was this feeling of anticipation.

As good as Glen Little is, he doesn't do it for me in the same way. :shock:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Feb 2007 10:32

Pants of Primus

Why should I hide my feelings about someone I care nothing for, who was responsible for destroying his own life?? I am entitled to an opinion and i'm entitiled to express it, just as you are yours.

I just always feel the need to pop up as a counterfoil to the endless hero worship of someone I don't feel deserves it all that much. Same with Kurt Cobain, on the back of a smattering of talent he destroyed his own life and the lives of those around him. Hardly worthy of the hero worship he receives

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

by Z-Head » 22 Feb 2007 10:36

John Madejski's Wallet
Pants of Primus

Why should I hide my feelings about someone I care nothing for, who was responsible for destroying his own life?? I am entitled to an opinion and i'm entitiled to express it, just as you are yours.

I just always feel the need to pop up as a counterfoil to the endless hero worship of someone I don't feel deserves it all that much. Same with Kurt Cobain, on the back of a smattering of talent he destroyed his own life and the lives of those around him. Hardly worthy of the hero worship he receives

How do you feel about Best?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Feb 2007 10:38

John Madejski's Wallet . Hardly worthy of the hero worship he receives

I don't worship Friday, but I know what I saw, and it was very,very good.

I only saw him on the pitch and that is where I make my judgement, like any other player.

He had the X Factor and I haven't seen another Reading player since who has that same appeal.

I'm judging him as a footballer, not as a human being. :shock:

anR

by anR » 22 Feb 2007 10:58

Gordons Cumming I don't worship Friday, but I know what I saw, and it was very,very good.

It's been said before but a recent simalarity must be someone like Jamie Cureton. Brilliant in the third tier, but he didn't quite make the same impact a flight up and I'm sure he wouldn't in our current team.

Was Friday so good because of the lack of quality around him? For example, was he just given too much space?

My understanding is that he just didn't care, which makes me think he wouldn't cut it in our first team nowadays. He'd have to stop all the booze, alcohol, drugs and drunken 'elephants' in the Sindlesham Mill. Then with a different mind set and training, it's arguable that he would have made it.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 22 Feb 2007 11:00

John Madejski`s wallet wrote:
on the back of a smattering of talent
Er... player of the millenium. Sure he was ill disciplined,unproffessional,a loose cannon,untameable,unpredictable,non conformist, stuck his fingers up at authority, out with the fairies etc etc blah... but for shear raw talent,natural ability,crowd pleasing and abilty to turn a dour game of football into a show never to forget Robin was simply head and shoulders above anything ive ever witnessed.
I appreciate some that never saw him may consider his admirers over the top and possibly slipping into mythologizing,hero worship etc but the facts are that on his day Friday really was that good.
Away from the game clearly Robin battled with his demons but that is another story and he made his choices as we all do.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 22 Feb 2007 11:08

Gordons Cumming
Vision

I think you're missing the point. Robin Friday had charisma, something different, and whenever you went to see him play there was this feeling of anticipation.

He certainly had bucketloads of charisma, and, together with Gordon Cumming, he made it worth going to see matches at Elm Park in what was otherwise a shockingly awful time for Reading Football Club.

However, I have to ask. Were it not for his untimely demise, would he really have the adulation he gets today, great player though he was? His poster in the Hall of Fame, or whatever it is in the stadium? Surely Steve Death was the outstanding Reading player of 1969-79?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Feb 2007 11:32

Fred Sharpe's Nose
Gordons Cumming
Vision

He certainly had bucketloads of charisma, and, together with Gordon Cumming, he made it worth going to see matches at Elm Park in what was otherwise a shockingly awful time for Reading Football Club.

However, I have to ask. Were it not for his untimely demise, would he really have the adulation he gets today, great player though he was? His poster in the Hall of Fame, or whatever it is in the stadium? Surely Steve Death was the outstanding Reading player of 1969-79?

Yeah, but Steve didn't have that X Factor.

Robin did.

The memory of him running out onto the pitch at the beginning of the game will always stay with me. That gangling run with his socks around his ankles, scruffy hair................it brightened up the day.You knew you were going to see something special.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Feb 2007 12:27

I'll keep this post short because Gordons Cumming has really said everything I would wish to say. But I'll just emphasise one thing. People can argue endlessly about his skill and fitness and how it compares to today's footballers; however, he had charisma (at least on a football pitch) beyond compare and that, I believe, is the main reason why he was voted "Player of the Millennium". It was a joy to watch him, partly because you didn't know what you were going to get - football-wise and antics-wise. One thing you could be certain of, however, was commitment. I never saw him give any less than 100% - which you can't say about alot of talented players (e.g. Ronandinho last night).

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 22 Feb 2007 12:46

I`d agree with you there Man Friday, except, doesnt anybody recall when he bad games? he would dissapear, sometimes you forgot he was there. But dont get me wrong, without doubt the best player ive seen, and yes i`ll include all of todays "superstars" in that.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 22 Feb 2007 13:12

Indeed Robin certainly did have off days.As I recall on one occasion at Elm Park Hurley subbed him in the first half when he was just not getting involved and his body language suggesting he couldnt be arsed or somesuch.Perhaps he had an injury or was peed off with something but yup the occasional off day did happen amidst the almost spookily brilliant displays.
Whilst Fridays abilty was a joy to behold for sure he was far from perfect.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 22 Feb 2007 13:17

Robin Friday might be a great cult figure, but ultimately he was a complete waster, who played in the lower leagues and in my opinion there have been far better players who deserve Reaings greatest player accolade.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Feb 2007 13:17

higher Indeed Robin certainly did have off days.As I recall on one occasion at Elm Park Hurley subbed him in the first half when he was just not getting involved and his body language suggesting he couldnt be arsed or somesuch.Perhaps he had an injury or was peed off with something but yup the occasional off day did happen amidst the almost spookily brilliant displays.

Yeah, even Roger Josyln had off days. :shock:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Feb 2007 13:17

Scarface Robin Friday might be a great cult figure, but ultimately he was a complete waster, who played in the lower leagues and in my opinion there have been far better players who deserve Reaings greatest player accolade.

Who?

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 22 Feb 2007 13:23

Gordons Cumming
higher Indeed Robin certainly did have off days.As I recall on one occasion at Elm Park Hurley subbed him in the first half when he was just not getting involved and his body language suggesting he couldnt be arsed or somesuch.Perhaps he had an injury or was peed off with something but yup the occasional off day did happen amidst the almost spookily brilliant displays.

Yeah, even Roger Josyln had off days. :shock:
Dont get me on to the old cart horse.! Talk about put out to pasture lol

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Feb 2007 13:25

No-one who never saw him play can really comment of whether he was good enough.
Unfortuately I never did, but my Dad did, he still comes to see Reading and he said that Robin was the best player he has ever seen.

And that will do me.
It's good to have legends.

He said the fans really loved him and he was just a complete maverick blessed with great footballing ability.

Player of the Millenium - voted by the fans is testament to that.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Feb 2007 13:26

readingbedding No-one who never saw him play can really comment of whether he was good enough.
Unfortuately I never did, but my Dad did, he still comes to see Reading and he said that Robin was the best player he has ever seen.

And that will do me.
It's good to have legends.

He said the fans really loved him and he was just a complete maverick blessed with great footballing ability.

Player of the Millenium - voted by the fans is testament to that.

Well said.