Is Gunnarsson pushing for a first team start?

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Mar 2007 08:31

I agree with most posts, Oster and Gunner should come in for Hunt and Harper.

Just because Hunt played well over Christmas is no reason to keep him in the side. Players get tired and lose form, we have a decent squad, so Coppell has the luxury of being able to drop/rest players.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Mar 2007 10:21

readingbedding
John Madejski's Wallet
MC ROYAL
willz_royal
MC ROYAL Bring in Oster for Hunt and Bryn for Sidwell.
bryn for harper and its a goodun

Harps is our most important player, he makes the team tick.

does he hell.

He runs around, doesn't tackle and backs-off midfield runners.

He's had a few good games this season but the arguments about Harps are the same as they've always been. And I guess will never get resolved till we see what life is like without him

some see it that "The team only plays well when Harps plays well"

others (me included) see it that "Harper only plays well when the team's playing well"

You didn't go to newcastle.

One game does not a great player make

I'm always more than happy to say when Harper has played well. He had a great run earlier in the season. I just find myself doing it too rarely for my liking

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Mar 2007 11:21

thought harps played well yesterday, great passing, harried well, and the number of clearances from corners he got was in double figures

having said that i reckon gunnarson gives us a little more defensively and offensively so should be in, and hunt did very little on saturday so maybe it is time to give oster another start on th eleft

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Mar 2007 12:39

Royalee Agree again readingbedding, I thought the only players who had decent games yesterday were Hahnmenann, Bikey and Lita besides the subs. I thought Hunt and Harper in particular were the worst, however, and they were both poor up at Boro as well so I'd drop them in favour of Gunnarsson and Oster.

Interesting that the press seem to think that Harper was pretty ok on Saturday.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Mar 2007 12:41

West Stand Man
Royalee Agree again readingbedding, I thought the only players who had decent games yesterday were Hahnmenann, Bikey and Lita besides the subs. I thought Hunt and Harper in particular were the worst, however, and they were both poor up at Boro as well so I'd drop them in favour of Gunnarsson and Oster.

The press also think our players are murderers, we disrespect the FA Cup, our chairman is a poser, our manager is boring and our players are rubbish. Do I care what the press think? No, I couldn't care less if a bomb went off in Fleet Street.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Mar 2007 12:45

Royalee No, I couldn't care less if a bomb went off in Fleet Street.

Sorry to say but most of the press have relocated from there some time ago. :shock: :wink:

fool

by fool » 05 Mar 2007 12:47

Completely agree with the calls for Oster and Gunnarsson to have a first team start from recent performances. I believe both would add an extra dimension to the team in the remainming games this season.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 05 Mar 2007 12:52

fool Completely agree with the calls for Oster and Gunnarsson to have a first team start from recent performances. I believe both would add an extra dimension to the team in the remainming games this season.

Agree, play players who are in form, and not because they have been more solid over a longer period of time, Gun is playing immence at the mo, so give hi a crack, it will probably remind Harper his place ain't cert. and he better keep trying!

Not doubting Harpers quality, but some times its good for a rain check!

79Royal

by 79Royal » 05 Mar 2007 12:54

Hunt is better defensively than Oster, which is why I believe Coppell started with him on Saturday.

Harper is an attacking midfielder playing a defensive role. Put him in the attacking role and you'll get the best out of him.

There isn't much to choose between Hunt, Oster, Harper, Gunnarsson, Sidwell and Little. Any of the six could make the first team at the moment. I'm happy with whatever combination SC chooses, but I would say that none of the midfielders that played in the last three games have been stood out more than any others.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Mar 2007 13:26

roll over boltonhoven well wonders will never cease, I actually agree with Royalee - Gunnarsson for Harper and Oster for Hunt. Also I thought Kitson was dreadful yesterday, could easily have got booked before he did, plus looked slow and petulant. Doyle or Long would be more effective on that showing.
But the strangest thing of all yesterday was Murty running striaght down the tunnel at the end, rather than saluting the fans. What was all that about?

The most predictable thing was of course (apart from that Lehmann would have a go at everyone, including his own defenders) that the underground would be up the creek.
:wink:

Kitson looked very slow, in thought and deed. I am yet to be convinced that he is premiership quality. He hasn't had a great deal of opportunity I know but I think Doyle and Long hold the ball up better and certainly are sharper around the field.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Mar 2007 13:32

Royalee
West Stand Man

The press also think our players are murderers, we disrespect the FA Cup, our chairman is a poser, our manager is boring and our players are rubbish. Do I care what the press think? No, I couldn't care less if a bomb went off in Fleet Street.

I think it is just a bit unfair to tar the whole of the UK press with the same brush due to one journalist.

Not that we ever expect you to have any consideration for fact or another person's opinion. :D

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Mar 2007 13:47

bcubed
roll over boltonhoven well wonders will never cease, I actually agree with Royalee - Gunnarsson for Harper and Oster for Hunt. Also I thought Kitson was dreadful yesterday, could easily have got booked before he did, plus looked slow and petulant. Doyle or Long would be more effective on that showing.
But the strangest thing of all yesterday was Murty running striaght down the tunnel at the end, rather than saluting the fans. What was all that about?

The most predictable thing was of course (apart from that Lehmann would have a go at everyone, including his own defenders) that the underground would be up the creek.

Kitson looked very slow, in thought and deed. I am yet to be convinced that he is premiership quality. He hasn't had a great deal of opportunity I know but I think Doyle and Long hold the ball up better and certainly are sharper around the field.

You weren't at the Villa home game or Man Utd away in the Cup then.
The one two with Sidwell was class and he worked really hard at Old Trafford.
He's only just come back from a long layoff.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Mar 2007 13:58

readingbedding
bcubed

You weren't at the Villa home game or Man Utd away in the Cup then.
The one two with Sidwell was class and he worked really hard at Old Trafford.
He's only just come back from a long layoff.

I was at both games and the one-two was excellent, but IMHO his overall game is no yet up to scratch. I think, like Lita, he will get there - he just hasn't done so yet

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Mar 2007 14:00

West Stand Man
Royalee
West Stand Man

I think it is just a bit unfair to tar the whole of the UK press with the same brush due to one journalist.

Not that we ever expect you to have any consideration for fact or another person's opinion. :D

Sorry, what I should have said was the tabloid press.

aaronrfc

by aaronrfc » 05 Mar 2007 14:16

79Royal Hunt is better defensively than Oster, which is why I believe Coppell started with him on Saturday.

Harper is an attacking midfielder playing a defensive role. Put him in the attacking role and you'll get the best out of him.

There isn't much to choose between Hunt, Oster, Harper, Gunnarsson, Sidwell and Little. Any of the six could make the first team at the moment. I'm happy with whatever combination SC chooses, but I would say that none of the midfielders that played in the last three games have been stood out more than any others.

agree that harper is more effective going forward, agree that gunnar deserves a go in place of harps, but to say there isnt much between all of those players is true, if you exclude little

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Mar 2007 18:06

Scarface I agree with most posts, Oster and Gunner should come in for Hunt and Harper.

Just because Hunt played well over Christmas is no reason to keep him in the side. Players get tired and lose form, we have a decent squad, so Coppell has the luxury of being able to drop/rest players.

And, with a bigger squad these days, saying someone should start in front of another player doesn't gave to mean that someone has been playing badly.

This has more to do with Gunnarsson and Oster putting in some great performances in our so called weakened cup team than Harper or Hunt being particularly poor. To Coppell's great credit, we have serious competition for places over the pitch.

In other words, our manager's system works and cr@p journo's like Holt talk out of their backsides :?

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 05 Mar 2007 21:43

Bryn for me adds a bit of steel in the mid field, and is one of the few players we have who can reliably score from set pieces.

Would like to see him start in place of harper for pompey with sidwell, Hunt and Oster left and right with Little on for Oster with 30 mins to go if we need to shake em up a bit.

But then what do I know, I am a keyboard warrior football fan :shock:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Mar 2007 21:57

Yes, yes he is.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 06 Mar 2007 02:32

firstdivision Bryn for me adds a bit of steel in the mid field, and is one of the few players we have who can reliably score from set pieces.

Would like to see him start in place of harper for pompey with sidwell, Hunt and Oster left and right with Little on for Oster with 30 mins to go if we need to shake em up a bit.

But then what do I know, I am a keyboard warrior football fan :shock:

You can't drop God on the right hand side...what were you thinking man!! :lol:

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 02 Jun 2007 18:07

Iceland 1 - 0 Liechtenstein

26' B. Gunnarsson

Well done Bryn. :D