Should they stay or should they go?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Apr 2007 11:25

Handsome Man, talking about Convey, he had one good season out of three

Unfair. First season, he was settling in. This season he's been struggling with injuries.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Apr 2007 12:09

On the proviso that we don't lose anyone we don't want to I'd hope for the following:

Stack - Get rid. Never been a fan and just seems to be a liability. We have good enough cover
Federici - Out to loan. He's looked pretty decent, although has made costly errors and I think we'd be able to fix him up a good loan move after his performances this season.
Hamer - Get Rid. Seems to have done ok with Crawley but as ever it would seem he's one destined not to make it.

Halls - Get Rid. Waste of space
Sodje - Get Rid. Bought as cover but not quite up to it. We have better options in the squad already. Great if WBA wanted him and we could use him as a make weight for either Davies, Gera or Chaplow.
Bikey - Get Rid/Keep. Not overly impressed with his defending. I'm convinced Coppell can find better value for his £1.5m but if not at least he knows the set up
DLC - Get Rid. Has done an ok job this season. Has been both appalling and ok to good at times. With other options at right back I don't think he's needed anymore. Goldbourne or AN Other will hopefully be up to covering for Shorey next season
Brown - Get Rid.
Goldbourne - Keep. Not seen much of him at Wycombe but he's had some good reviews. Hopefully will step up and be suitable cover for Shorey
Pearce - Keep/Out to loan. Looks a very good prospect. Possibly another loan to January will further help him
Osano - Not sure. Liked him whenever he's played for the Reserves but might be another not capable of stepping up

Gunnarson - Keep. A solid squad player who seems settled and happy. Never really lets us down
Oster - Keep/Get Rid. If we get a decent offer in for him I'd take it. He obviously wants to play more games but I don't think he's good enough to be involved more than he has been this season.

Henry - Keep. Next season may be the time for him to really push on. If Oster leaves he might really push for the first team, although like Pearce another short term loan deal might suit him more.
Hayes - Get Rid. Don't think he'll play at anything above the standard he's playing at now.
Long - Out to Loan. He still looks a bit lost at times against big, experienced centre halfs. Some time at a Championship side must surely be of benefit
Cox - Keep. Another season in the reserves and league cup team beckons. Not sure he'll ever do much else

Additions:

A decent keeper with Marcus probably having to take a step back
Midfielder to replace Sidwell
Right winger/creative central midfielder
Centre Half to really battle Sonko/Ivar for starting place
Left back if Goldbourne isn't up to the job

aaronrfc

by aaronrfc » 11 Apr 2007 13:00

[quote="Hoop Blah"]On the proviso that we don't lose anyone we don't want to I'd hope for the following:

Stack - Get rid. Never been a fan and just seems to be a liability. We have good enough cover
YES. GET RID
Federici - Out to loan. He's looked pretty decent, although has made costly errors and I think we'd be able to fix him up a good loan move after his performances this season.
NO. KEEPi think thats a bit harsh, think he'll stay as no 2.
Hamer - Get Rid. Seems to have done ok with Crawley but as ever it would seem he's one destined not to make it.
YES. GET RID
Halls - Get Rid. Waste of space
[i]YES. GET RID. shame, as he had alot of potential and promise[/i]
Sodje - Get Rid. Bought as cover but not quite up to it. We have better options in the squad already. Great if WBA wanted him and we could use him as a make weight for either Davies, Gera or Chaplow.
YES. GET RID. unfortunately wev got enough options in that area. not a bad player, good luck to him if he makes it permanent at WBABikey - Get Rid/Keep. Not overly impressed with his defending. I'm convinced Coppell can find better value for his £1.5m but if not at least he knows the set up
NO. KEEP. in this market £1.5 mil is pretty good value for a young versatile player, like you said, knows the set up, and is only going to get better
DLC - Get Rid. Has done an ok job this season. Has been both appalling and ok to good at times. With other options at right back I don't think he's needed anymore. Goldbourne or AN Other will hopefully be up to covering for Shorey next season
YES. GET RID. served his purpose, done what he came to do
Brown - Get Rid.
NO. KEEP/LOAN. injuries have meant he hasnt had his fair shot, but he had potential, think give him another season yet.
Goldbourne - Keep. Not seen much of him at Wycombe but he's had some good reviews. Hopefully will step up and be suitable cover for Shorey
YES. Maybe laon, with the possibility of being recalled in shorey gets injured.
Pearce - Keep/Out to loan. Looks a very good prospect. Possibly another loan to January will further help him
YES. KEEP/LOAN
Osano - Not sure. Liked him whenever he's played for the Reserves but might be another not capable of stepping up
GET RID. unfortunately just not good enough for prem
Gunnarson - Keep. A solid squad player who seems settled and happy. Never really lets us down
KEEP. if only we got him 5 years earlier when time was still on his side. would be a sterling deputy in sidwell absence until a long term replacement was made.
Oster - Keep/Get Rid. If we get a decent offer in for him I'd take it. He obviously wants to play more games but I don't think he's good enough to be involved more than he has been this season.
YES. Keep/GET RID
Henry - Keep. Next season may be the time for him to really push on. If Oster leaves he might really push for the first team, although like Pearce another short term loan deal might suit him more.
YES. KEEP
Hayes - Get Rid. Don't think he'll play at anything above the standard he's playing at now.
YES. GET RID
Long - Out to Loan. He still looks a bit lost at times against big, experienced centre halfs. Some time at a Championship side must surely be of benefit.
NO. KEEP. he wont be going anywhere i dont think. we'd be too low on strikers
Cox - Keep. Another season in the reserves and league cup team beckons. Not sure he'll ever do much else
NO. LOAN/GET RID. Good but just not good enough im afraid. will be able to cut in the champ one day
[/i]

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Apr 2007 20:52

Stack - can go
Federici - must stay
Hamer - unsure
Halls - can go
Sodje - can go
Bikey - DEFINITELY must stay - anyone who wants him to go after his performance against Charlton needs a brain transplant.
De La Cruz - can go
Brown - can go
Golbourne - must stay
Pearce - DEFINITELY must stay
Osano - can go
Gunnarsson - must stay
Oster - can go
Henry - must stay
Hayes - can go
Long - DEFINITELY must stay - again, cracking performance on Monday and he'll be even better than Doyle in a couple of years.
Cox - unsure
Seol - unsure - has the ability but time will tell if he can sort his head out.
Last edited by Royalee on 11 Apr 2007 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 11 Apr 2007 21:35

Royalee Bikey - DEFINITELY must stay - anyone who wants him to go after his performance against Charlton needs a brain transplant.

He doesn't know where to stand on the pitch! I'm sorry, but I think it's you who needs the brain transplant! :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Apr 2007 22:01

PistolPete
Royalee Bikey - DEFINITELY must stay - anyone who wants him to go after his performance against Charlton needs a brain transplant.

He doesn't know where to stand on the pitch! I'm sorry, but I think it's you who needs the brain transplant! :wink:

Remind me how Darren Bent managed to fair up against Bikey on Monday? Did he score any goals? You talk bollocks.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 11 Apr 2007 22:27

Have to agree with pistolPete about Bikey.

The first 15 minutes of the Charlton game Bikey was out of position on several occasions and Ivar had to cover for him. He got better as the game went on and showed some nice touches on the ball but his inconsistency is a worry. He was partly at fault for the Liverpool winner when he failed to pick up their striker and allowed him a free header.

Bikey looks a reasonable prospect but we need to spend more than £1.5m to really improve the quality of the squad if we are to progress. How about £3m or more for George Mensah? A proven CB who would really push Sonks and Ivar for a place.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Apr 2007 22:33

UpNorth Have to agree with pistolPete about Bikey.

The first 15 minutes of the Charlton game Bikey was out of position on several occasions and Ivar had to cover for him. He got better as the game went on and showed some nice touches on the ball but his inconsistency is a worry. He was partly at fault for the Liverpool winner when he failed to pick up their striker and allowed him a free header.

Bikey looks a reasonable prospect but we need to spend more than £1.5m to really improve the quality of the squad if we are to progress. How about £3m or more for George Mensah? A proven CB who would really push Sonks and Ivar for a place.

So proven you can't even get his name right? I wouldn't classify the French league proven unless he's playing for Lyon. You aren't going to get a better prospect than Bikey for £1.5 million - he gets better with every game and will continue to do so.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Apr 2007 22:44

Royalee
UpNorth Have to agree with pistolPete about Bikey.

So proven you can't even get his name right? I wouldn't classify the French league proven unless he's playing for Lyon. You aren't going to get a better prospect than Bikey for £1.5 million - he gets better with every game and will continue to do so.
and some of his cross field play was spot-on

Halls? everytime I've (actually) seen him play...I have seen him score and/or assist

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 11 Apr 2007 22:51

Royalee
PistolPete

Remind me how Darren Bent managed to fair up against Bikey on Monday? Did he score any goals? You talk bollocks.

Darren Bent is not fit. If you can't see that then you need an eye transplant. Furthermore, everytime a good striker doesn't score it is due to the centre back is it? You have a very simplistic knowledge of football...

Ivar on the other hand was almost faultless Vs Charlton

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 12 Apr 2007 00:52

Stack - Let go. Don't need him anymore as Federici has proved himself as a better replacement.
Federici - Stay. Proved him as a capable number 2.
Hamer - Not sure/Let go. I haven't seen him play so I don't know whether we should or not. But i'm leaning towards letting him go as all he has done is play for Crawley for a season.
Halls - Let go. Enough Right backs to cover and pretty poor when i have seen him play.
Sodje - Not sure/loan him. Played very well according to reports from West Brom and Reading web. Let him carry on at West Brom for a loan next season but could prove useful member of the squad. Can't decide yet.
Bikey - Stay. If he goes and Sonko gets injured again, we're screwed for a Sonko type centre back
De La Cruz - Stay. Good cover for Right back and left back in fact. Rather see Halford play in a different position from Right back.
Brown - Loan him. Give the lad some playing time after a season full of injuries.
Golbourne - Stay/loan him. Cover for left back, but if DLC stays as I said and Halford possibly being able to play there as well, could be worthwhile letting him play but call back in the need of duty.
Pearce - Stay. Future Centre back from the sounds of it. Proved himself with Northampton at a young age so we can adapt him.
Osano - Let go. Can't see a future with Reading unfortunately.
Gunnarsson - Stay. Very good squad player.
Oster - Stay unless he wants to. Again very good squad player but if he wants first team opportunity, let him have it.
Henry - Loan him to Championship/league 1 side. Most players have managed to perform in the Premiership from match experience in the two divisions below us. Any lower and I doubt he can make in the top. Only experience he can get is in Cup games.
Hayes - Not sure. Heard good things about him but if he was that good, he would have been given his chance to shine. That hasn't come but we'll have to see what happens to him.
Long - Stay. He's meant to be one for the future and getting a cap for Ireland at 20 years old shows he's one to watch.
Cox - Let go. Still young but hasn't impressed me much. Can't see a future for him here with Long, Doyle and Lita still quite young here.
Seol - Stay. He'll be a useful squad member, has admitted he needs to up his work rate and willing to do it, so let him stay and prove himself.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Apr 2007 10:50

PistolPete
Royalee
PistolPete

Darren Bent is not fit. If you can't see that then you need an eye transplant. Furthermore, everytime a good striker doesn't score it is due to the centre back is it? You have a very simplistic knowledge of football...

im with you on this Pistol.

Bikey has made countless errors since Sonks picked up his injury. Positionally, he looked totally lost on Monday unitl Marcus Bent went off injured & Charlton resorted to long balls to the other Bent who was isolated. Some people have such a one dimensional view of the game.

He cost us the game at Arsenal - Clumsy challenge for the pen
He cost us the game against Liverpool - poor postional play
Perfomance against Wigan was just hopeless - Murty was telling him which part of the boot to make clearances with ffs!
Watch the video of the 1st goal we conceeded against Man U. Bikey should have been closing down Heize, instead he was ambling along almost oblivious to the threat. As for the 2nd goal....
Both goals conceeded at Brum were mostly down to poor defending by him.

Granted he's young and can improve, but Duberry was keeping him out of the side for a good reason.

We have to be looking at better than Bikey if we are to match this season next. £1.5m is way too much to pay for someone who's been a liabilty so far..

Who said Mensah was unproven? He's proven at World Cup level.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Apr 2007 11:16

Tony Le Mesmer
PistolPete
Royalee
PistolPete

Bikey has made countless errors since Sonks picked up his injury. Positionally, he looked totally lost on Monday unitl Marcus Bent went off injured & Charlton resorted to long balls to the other Bent who was isolated. Some people have such a one dimensional view of the game.

Perfomance against Wigan was just hopeless - Murty was telling him which part of the boot to make clearances with ffs!
Watch the video of the 1st goal we conceeded against Man U. Bikey should have been closing down Heize, instead he was ambling along almost oblivious to the threat. As for the 2nd goal....

Granted he's young and can improve, but Duberry was keeping him out of the side for a good reason.

We have to be looking at better than Bikey if we are to match this season next. £1.5m is way too much to pay for someone who's been a liabilty so far..

you could list as many errors for sonko over the last two years.

but everyone makes mistakes, and its how you learn from them and improve that makes a good player.

the boy looks a very decent prospect, and for 1.5 million id snap your hand off

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Apr 2007 13:22

Most likely summer activity outwards.....

Halls - if suitable offer forthcoming
Oster - if Championship level club can offer 1st team footie
Sidwell - somewhere
Seol - if offer of regular 1st team footie made at Championship level or above
Sodje - apparently really impressive at WBA so could be some attempt to sign him permanent (therefore down to whether SC sees him fitting in)
Stack - released
Brown - released
Hayes - released
Osano - released
Cox - released
Mate - return to Debrecen, another season on loan perhaps..??

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 12 Apr 2007 13:42

brendywendy
Tony Le Mesmer
PistolPete
Royalee
PistolPete

but everyone makes mistakes, and its how you learn from them and improve that makes a good player.

You've just highlighted why Bikey should go; he's made more obvious mistakes in less than a year than Sonko has in two.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 12 Apr 2007 13:58

Barry the bird boggler Most likely summer activity outwards.....

Halls - if suitable offer forthcoming
Oster - if Championship level club can offer 1st team footie
Sidwell - somewhere
Seol - if offer of regular 1st team footie made at Championship level or above
Sodje - apparently really impressive at WBA so could be some attempt to sign him permanent (therefore down to whether SC sees him fitting in)
Stack - released
Brown - released
Hayes - released
Osano - released
Cox - released
Mate - return to Debrecen, another season on loan perhaps..??

Not a bad assessment in my view. Goalkeepers, I think we are fine and agree that we should get rid of Stack--I like the look and promise of Federici. Defence is generally sound but I would like to keep Sodje as Murts is getting no younger and ultimately I think Halford is best suited to midfield. Mate and Halls really have had little chance so I expect them to be on their way as well as Brown. I really don't think Golbourne has what is takes at premiership level and feel we will end up letting himstay at Wycombe. Definitely would like to sign Bikey--another Sonko in the making and can be versatile in midfield.

Midfield interesting as Sidwell I am sure is on his way ( definite according to local estate agent and junior groundsman at Mad Stad!!) Little is getting no younger so I would like to think we will sign 2 quality midfielders. Seol is a difficult one and has proved to be what Wolves fans said he would be--a luxury player and squad player at best--will he accept that. Get rid of Oster as well--he wants regular first team football and won't get it at Reading.

Finally, to me the most interesting dilemna is the strikers. Have they delivered of late---NO. Lita is very volatile, Doyle seems to have lost his way after injury, and Long needs to gain some experience playing for a top team in the Championship on loan. That leaves Kitson, as much as I love the guy and realise he has been out with so many injuries the last few games have left me wondering whether he really has it at top level? His game seems very one dimensional and he does seem to lack the pace that other quality strikers have. Taking this in to account, I would hope and expect Coppell to try and lure a quality striker to the club for next season. ( Fully expecting to get slaughtered for my comments on Kitson!)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Apr 2007 14:16

Nick Shorey my Lord!
brendywendy you could list as many errors for sonko over the last two years.

You've just highlighted why Bikey should go; he's made more obvious mistakes in less than a year than Sonko has in two.

Sonko's mistakes and short comings were mainly due to poor technique. Looking back his actual defensive play was pretty solid. Yes he made a few mistakes like 'Boro at home and Villa away this season, but largely his defending was always half decent.

This is where Bikey is completely different. His defenisve play is his weakness. His physical attributes are similar to Sonko and he makes some good tackles in the heat of the moment, but over 90 minutes he is out of position and too slow of mind and foot far too often for a good defender at this level. I guess thats why some feel he'd look better in midfield.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Apr 2007 14:22

Tilehurst Mike Taking this in to account, I would hope and expect Coppell to try and lure a quality striker to the club for next season. ( Fully expecting to get slaughtered for my comments on Kitson!)

I agree we should be looking into bringing in another centre forward (think I left that off my earlier post though). Between Kitson, Lita and Doyle we've done ok this year, but as a lot of us said last summer and this winter, we need a physical presence and/or a forward who can link the midfield and attack a bit more for when Kitson is injured.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Apr 2007 16:18

Nick Shorey my Lord!
brendywendy
Tony Le Mesmer
PistolPete
Royalee
PistolPete

no, hes made about the same

and since sonks has been injured for half of this season it hardly counts

and ive lost count of the times that sonks has chrged in and slid past someone in the area and luckily not caught them
not to mention all the positional errors that Ivar has to sweep up for him too
not that i dont think hes great, i love the man

its just that there are no footballers in the world who dont make mistakes
and the boy is young, strong, skillfull, and a great prospect

IMHO

double standards
sonko = untouchable

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 12 Apr 2007 16:58

Still have great hopes for Long and Bikey in the long run.

Have always liked Oster, clever player, but needs to be playing at this stage of his career.

Gunnarson always impresses but must remember he's usually fresh when he plays. Can he maintain the same levels of performance for 38 games?