Nolan disappointed in Duberry

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Apr 2007 16:54

Ideal You forget the fact that Nolan is an unsportsmanly little oxf*rd, much in the same way as Craig Bellamy and Joey Barton.
I can see why Duberry would not be too concerned with how Nolan was doing.

No he's not. He's quite old school and will put it about with the best of them but he always seems the sort who will shake hands and get on with it and have a drink afterwards.

To my mind any decent pro should have enough respect for his fellow pros to at least make some gesture of acknowledgment if they injure an opponent, intentionally or not.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 26 Apr 2007 16:55

I suspect Duberry knew Nolan hadn't broken his leg - after all he did walk across the pitch rather than leave on a stretcher !

fool

by fool » 26 Apr 2007 17:05

Ian Royal
Motown
Daniella
Motown Someone's lost their dummy!!
Who gives a toss if he got injured if don't like it go play netball if he doesn't like getting kicked. It's a mans game and it happens. Doobs has absolutely no need to apologise he is in it for the cause and to win the game and shouldn't matter at what costs to the others player.

Its respectful to apologise, any true professional does so. Walking off without a care after just nearly breaking someone's leg is downright arrogant and disrespectful.

In my football career not the greatest of ones but was always taught never to apologise no matter how many times you kick somebody or hurt them never ever apologise as then they think they've got the beating of you and your weak touch. Players that don't like the tackles are the ones that then won't want to get involved in the game anymore and thats when you've succeeded in what you were trying to do, and gives you an advantage of going to go and try and win the game.

Bollocks. It doesn't matter if they think you're a weak touch if you arn't. Sportsmanship means you enquire as to how someone is if you clatter them and apologise if you caused injury or pain where none was intended. And there should always be none intended.

The lack of apology in my book suggests that it was intended. Which is bad.

I think you could be right, perhaps a little history between them.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Apr 2007 17:20

Crowthorne Royal All you dic*heads that suggest that Duberry is somehow being 'soft' or indeed Nolan is being a bit of a wimp moaning are plainly wrong. Those posters that have talked about sportsmanship are absolutely right. Why do fans hate the likes of Diouf, Mourinho, Wenger, Michael Brown (Fulham), Robbie Savage etc, etc.....Because they are unsportsmanlike physical or mental thugs AND bad losers!
You clowns are probably the same sad bunch that chant ''Sh*t on the floor' when an opposing player gets injured. I absolutely cringe when that happens, it makes RFC fans look like mindless idiots.
If you ar*eholes want to spit your filth and venom at other teams players why don't you gpo and support someone else, because you're not welcome. With the Chelsea debacle still in the minds of every fan when they see Cech wearing his 'helmet' we need to be very careful not to put forward an image of a team who are niggly and purposely upset other players.....and the fans are worse! I am very proud to be a Royal and I want to continue to go to away games and be well received by the majority of opposing fans.
:evil:

our disciplinary record over the last two years speaks for itself regarding the clubs attitude

regarding duberry-like i said, this whole discussion relies on whether duberry realised he was injured or not, none of us know, so the rest is conjecture

as for "shit on the floor"
it was sung, much louder at elm park, before all these plastics arrived, so are you saying that th eplastics are making our club a better place?
i will admit to singing it every now and then myself, when i really dont like the man down.im not sure i care if the opposition fans think its a bit mean
mostly i dont join in, but it makes me smile

and who in the wide world of sport made you responsible for deciding who is welcome, or not, at reading games?
maybe the club love "shit on the floor", and would like to see the back of all those who refuse to sing it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Apr 2007 17:23

Daniella Defiantely has a point. We are actually starting to get a bit of a dirty rep with a lot of clubs now, probably fairly so.

And of course our disciplinary record reflects that! :roll: :roll:

Daniella Eventually everyone's seeing my point. I don't want us to have a reputation as a bunch of thugs, and despite what people have said we ARE giving that impression off. If it wasn't for coppells calmness and infulence on the media a lot more would of been made of it.

No WE ARE not. Certain parts of the media are trying to project that image/give that impression. However, the majority of pundits still praise us with phrases such as a 'breath of fresh air' (Shearer).

Also, IIRC a good number of pundits said that there was nothing wrong with Duberry's challenge and that was backed by the ref's decision not to take any action.

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 26 Apr 2007 17:31

SpaceCruiser Did Chris Riggot ever apologise to Dave Kitson for injuring his leg? No, I don't seem to remember anything like that.

Kitson said: "Riggott cleaned me out completely. He apologised after the game, but it sticks in the throat a bit, especially in the manner it happened.

"I have no complaints if I injure myself but when someone tackles you waist-high on the halfway line, it's just crazy. I know it's a man's game but you don't see the best players doing that.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 Apr 2007 17:31

Can't see why anyone honestly cares about Nolan and his comments? We got the 3 points, which is what matters, not what some overrated midfielder got. Oh and the BBC Column by Jason Roberts last season was 10times better :wink:

Doyler

by Doyler » 26 Apr 2007 18:13

RoyalBlue
Daniella Defiantely has a point. We are actually starting to get a bit of a dirty rep with a lot of clubs now, probably fairly so.

And of course our disciplinary record reflects that! :roll: :roll:

Daniella Eventually everyone's seeing my point. I don't want us to have a reputation as a bunch of thugs, and despite what people have said we ARE giving that impression off. If it wasn't for coppells calmness and infulence on the media a lot more would of been made of it.

No WE ARE not. Certain parts of the media are trying to project that image/give that impression. However, the majority of pundits still praise us with phrases such as a 'breath of fresh air' (Shearer).

Also, IIRC a good number of pundits said that there was nothing wrong with Duberry's challenge and that was backed by the ref's decision not to take any action.
Exactly, all of the opposition fan I have spoken to respect us and have said what a great season we're having. Ever since the cech incident, certain sections of media have picked up on tackles that have been slightly mistimed because they want a story. If some of own fans are starting to believe it, the situation will only get worse. Ignore it, you know its not true, support the team.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 26 Apr 2007 18:23

RG30 Can't see why anyone honestly cares about Nolan and his comments? We got the 3 points, which is what matters, not what some overrated midfielder got.

It's not about that case specifically, it's about sportsmanship in general. Nolan was perfectly within his rights to expect an apology.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Apr 2007 18:50

RoyalBlue Also, IIRC a good number of pundits said that there was nothing wrong with Duberry's challenge and that was backed by the ref's decision not to take any action.

Personally I thought it was a late mistimed challenge and he was lucky not to get booked. But I didn't have the benefit of a slow motion replay.

I think Nolan is whinging by saying it was nasty, there was absolutely no malice in it.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 26 Apr 2007 18:50

really bad tackles that need explanations and apologies are always brought up on match of the day after they show the game. this challenge wasn't, so what's the big deal?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Apr 2007 18:56

The lad has a point.

Everyone makes bad tackles and mistakes.

But one would expect a player to apologise for it.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 26 Apr 2007 19:07

Motown I suppose it depends how you play football, me being and out and out defender the only enjoyment I get out of the game is to kick lumps out of the oppositions forward. I don't go in to purposely hurt them I just like sliding around but If I hurt them I hurt them, it just tough really, they should of been a bit quicker and they wouldn't of got hit then.

:roll: I'm a defender. I don't see the enjoyment in 'kicking lumps' out of a fellow player.

Also, the two sentences in bold you wrote, are complete contradictions.

Captain Sinbad
Location: On cloud nine until at least the end of 06/07 season

by Captain Sinbad » 26 Apr 2007 20:37

Ooooh! I think he's broken my leg, quick take me for a scan!

It's ok, I can walk.

I hope I'm fit for next week.

Doobs got out of it quick to avoid a potential booking - fair play, how many players do you see doing that every week? Right choice.

Anybody see droggy on the floor writhing in agony last night with moronho telling him to stay down etc. Next minute he's in the oppos penalty area rising well above everyone else trying to head the ball.

When these skiving, cheating, arrogant, so called world class players stop their cheating and display a bit of sportsmanship we can do the same.

Labelling Reading as dirty is just a ruse for the 'bigger' clubs to take the heat off their poor performances against us this season.

Until then, stop whinging especially at your own team!!!! FFS

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 27 Apr 2007 10:58

Y21_Royal He has a point. I'd have thought it would be part of Sir Steve's ethos that players apologise for a bad tackle. If not during the game, certainly afterwards if it caused injury

Perhaps Duberry still has a Leeds/Chelsea ethos.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Apr 2007 11:10

Berkshire Born
Y21_Royal He has a point. I'd have thought it would be part of Sir Steve's ethos that players apologise for a bad tackle. If not during the game, certainly afterwards if it caused injury

Perhaps Duberry still has a Leeds/Chelsea ethos.

With a bit of Pulis inspired Stokeishness thrown in. :lol:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 27 Apr 2007 11:11

After the amount of noise Reading fans made about Carlo Nash's clogging of Kitson and also about Riggot's tackle on him as well, it does make me chuckle to see most responses on here. It was a very poor challenge and should have been punished, the least Doobs could have done is check that he was alright

Daniella

by Daniella » 27 Apr 2007 11:15

Huntley & Palmer After the amount of noise Reading fans made about Carlo Nash's clogging of Kitson and also about Riggot's tackle on him as well, it does make me chuckle to see most responses on here. It was a very poor challenge and should have been punished, the least Doobs could have done is check that he was alright

Agreed.

A1ndy

by A1ndy » 27 Apr 2007 11:21

Daniella
Huntley & Palmer After the amount of noise Reading fans made about Carlo Nash's clogging of Kitson and also about Riggot's tackle on him as well, it does make me chuckle to see most responses on here. It was a very poor challenge and should have been punished, the least Doobs could have done is check that he was alright

Agreed.

Totally agree I play Sunday League, I know its not the same level etc...but if you go in with another player for a 50/50 challenge and they hurt themselves after the challenge, I would make sure the player is alright, and Id expect the same if it was me who ended up hurt.

Its all about sportsmanship and there doesnt appear to be enough in the football game at the moment.

Although, it doesnt help when you have the likes of drogba falling about every 2 mins, cos you dont know for sure if he is actually injured or just looking for "attention"

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 27 Apr 2007 11:34

It was a bit high and worthy of a booking. Dubbery kept well out of the way to avoid the yellow card I suspect he thought was coming his way.

Most players do exactly the same thing such a collision. Hunt kept well out of the way after the Cech incident but when it was obvious the referee wasn't looking to take things further ran back to tap the Chelsea keeper on the back by way of apology with the game stopped. Not that it made much difference because Cech was still whining about things months later!

Dubbery didn't have that option as the Bolton referee blew for time before the physio came on at the Reebok and before it was clear he wasn't going to get carded so he got himself down the tunnel pronto.

After the game Nolan was having a scan so presumably wasn't on site to make that apology.