The Greatest RFC XI debate - Right backs

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Jun 2007 12:57

SpaceCruiser
The Colonel I don't recall Jerry Williams ever playing at right-back. I might be wrong.

Neither do I, but Cripple Creek claims that he did. For what it's worth, Michael Gilkes did play at right back too and he was pretty good at it, but nobody has nominated him purely because everybody thinks of him as a right winger.

Unfortunately, being almost entirely LEFT footed, Michael Gilkes spent all his Reading career playing on the left !!
:roll:

And that included a spell at left back.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 13:00

Franchise FC
SpaceCruiser
The Colonel I don't recall Jerry Williams ever playing at right-back. I might be wrong.

Neither do I, but Cripple Creek claims that he did. For what it's worth, Michael Gilkes did play at right back too and he was pretty good at it, but nobody has nominated him purely because everybody thinks of him as a right winger.

Unfortunately, being almost entirely LEFT footed, Michael Gilkes spent all his Reading career playing on the left !!

Don't you roll your eyes at me. I know I'm wrong.

Can you expand on your nominations? i.e. why you nominated Bacuzzi and Lenarduzzi?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Jun 2007 13:34

SpaceCruiser
Franchise FC
SpaceCruiser

Can you expand on your nominations? i.e. why you nominated Bacuzzi and Lenarduzzi?

Dave Bacuzzi was captain of the side when I first started going to the temple that was Elm Park. I don't remember that much about him.

Bobby Lenarduzzi was the right back for my formative years. He was a bit of a Gary Neville type - not great at any one thing, but made up for any deficiencies with hard work.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 13:43

Franchise FC
SpaceCruiser
Franchise FC
SpaceCruiser

Dave Bacuzzi was captain of the side when I first started going to the temple that was Elm Park. I don't remember that much about him.

Bobby Lenarduzzi was the right back for my formative years. He was a bit of a Gary Neville type - not great at any one thing, but made up for any deficiencies with hard work.

Cheers, I've plumped for Bobby. See the new voting thread. ;)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Jun 2007 13:48

SpaceCruiser
Franchise FC
SpaceCruiser
Franchise FC
SpaceCruiser

Cheers, I've plumped for Bobby. See the new voting thread. ;)

What's disatrous about your question and my answer is that I've realised it's more than 30 years ago that BL played. I feel old :cry: