what the papers say... Nicky Shorey

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 03 Jun 2007 17:24

Henleyensian Not only that, but the only players given a score of above 6 were: Gerrard 8, Terry 7, and Shorey 7.
Very harsh on Beckham. Without going over the top, anyone would have to admit he brought qualities that England have been sadly lacking recently, and not just set-piece delivery either. He was one of our toughest tacklers and along with Gerrard one of only two players in white shirts who could tackle hard and come away with the ball.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jun 2007 17:40

Arch
Henleyensian Not only that, but the only players given a score of above 6 were: Gerrard 8, Terry 7, and Shorey 7.
Very harsh on Beckham. Without going over the top, anyone would have to admit he brought qualities that England have been sadly lacking recently, and not just set-piece delivery either. He was one of our toughest tacklers and along with Gerrard one of only two players in white shirts who could tackle hard and come away with the ball.

He certainly made half the team look like they couldn't give a toss. He does just exude class and commitment.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jun 2007 17:46

Ian Royal
Arch

He certainly made half the team look like they couldn't give a toss. He does just exude class and commitment.
It's a shame McLaren didn't try Beckham in the middle with Gerrard as he seems to play well there for Real Madrid.

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 04 Jun 2007 14:16

More on the FA website:

Shorey wants more

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/EnglandBrazil_Shorey.htm

Nicky Shorey says he was bowled over by making his England debut against Brazil at the new Wembley stadium – and now he wants more.

The Reading defender admitted that you cannot ask for much more as a footballer than to play for your first game for your country against five times world champions at the beginning of a new era for Wembley.

And having acquitted himself well at left-back against Kaka and Co, Shorey is hoping to have another chance when the Three Lions take on Estonia on Wednesday.

With Ashley Cole out injured and Wayne Bridge still in some doubt, Shorey knows that he is in Steve McClaren’s thinking after Friday night’s performance.

"It was unbelievable, probably more than I could have imagined it would be," he said.

"Just to walk out at Wembley, representing your country with the noise the fans made - it was fantastic.

"I thought we played well against Brazil. We knew they would have a lot of possession but we coped with that, defended well as a team and we were gutted that we conceded an equaliser so late.

"The mood in the dressing room was a bit downbeat in the end because we knew we could have won. But these things happen and it does not take away from a good performance.

"And Wembley is a superb stadium – an amazing place to play football and hopefully I will get another chance."

But before the friendly with Germany back at the venue of legends is the not insignificant matter of Estonia in Wednesday’s vital European Championship qualifier.

"Wembley was a great a great occasion but Wednesday’s game is the big one really. We can go in with a lot of confidence after Friday’s performance.

"There is a lot of competition for places but I have had a taste of it and want more now. It’s great to be out there with these lads and I think I have showed that I can play at this level."