Robert Fleck
12%
Martin Williams
3%
Shaun Goater
14%
A Nother-Burnsplayer
3%
Mass Sarr (if you count him as a striker)
7%

Total votes: 217
loyal1

by loyal1 » 11 Jun 2007 22:15

wasnt murts bought by burns, if he was surley he was burns best signing
ScottishRoyal
The whole year inn
Handsome Man 'I'm not the kind of striker who scores goals'

Jim McIntyre is our worst ever striker by miles. Ended up shoved on the wing, and not exactly busting a gut for us in the play-off final.

I vaguely remember McIntyre coming within inches of scoring in the PO final, smacking a header against the bar.

I remember thinking he had a good game that day :?

And he wasn't really a striker anyway, he was a winger. By far and away the best TB signing and I was actually dissapointed when we released him after promotion (pretty sure it was that season). In trerms of quality and a final product he was streets ahead of Lee Hodges.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 11 Jun 2007 22:18

loyal1 wasnt murts bought by burns, if he was surley he was burns best signing
ScottishRoyal
The whole year inn

Jim McIntyre is our worst ever striker by miles. Ended up shoved on the wing, and not exactly busting a gut for us in the play-off final.

I vaguely remember McIntyre coming within inches of scoring in the PO final, smacking a header against the bar.

And he wasn't really a striker anyway, he was a winger. By far and away the best TB signing and I was actually dissapointed when we released him after promotion (pretty sure it was that season). In trerms of quality and a final product he was streets ahead of Lee Hodges.

So was Fozzie, who wasn't exactly what you would call a bad signing. McIntyre eventually turned into an average buy who never justified his near £500k price tag.

hardcar

by hardcar » 11 Jun 2007 22:52

Got to be big bas savage why was he not on the list ? doing well at brighton fair play to him :D

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 11 Jun 2007 22:53

Harold Darius henderson.

"subs shoot home" any sub to come on and score in the last 30 minutes

darius made me quite a bit of money!!

Fluff

by Fluff » 11 Jun 2007 22:57

Sorry going to have to go for Robert Fleck.

Just how many games did he play for us

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 11 Jun 2007 23:06

AthleticoSpizz THE worst striker

or

our worst striker?

contraversial, but, Pat Earles...nah....Nigel Vaughn

Pat Earles? Top scorer in 78/9? Championship year?

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 11 Jun 2007 23:07

Seol Ki-Hyeon

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 11 Jun 2007 23:25

Paul Brayson, hands down. His goal scoring record for a striker is enough to be the worst striker ever to play for Reading, let alone recent times!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jun 2007 18:23

Derbyshire Royal

or

our worst striker?

Pat Earles? Top scorer in 78/9? Championship year?
which juxtaposes quite nicely with some of the opinions on here.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jun 2007 18:32

or

our worst striker?

Nigel Vaughan, the little balding Welsh chappie? I don't recall him as a striker, or anything like it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jun 2007 20:05

ScottishRoyal
The whole year inn

I can think of 4 better buys off the top of my head.

Forster, Howie, Murty and Brebner, though Brebner was let go for peanuts after not too long.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jun 2007 20:13

Royal Rother

or

our worst striker?

Nigel Vaughan, the little balding Welsh chappie? I don't recall him as a striker, or anything like it.
twas brought on to play up front a few times, and tbf, he did actually put one past Sheff U for us.

I am Steve Brown

by I am Steve Brown » 13 Jun 2007 11:06

Jim McIntyre

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 13 Jun 2007 12:01

ScottishRoyal
The whole year inn

Ok, the best of the Scottish signings he made through his shady links to that Agents agency :lol:

Murty was injured pretty much all the time during his tenure so I wasn't really including him. Fozzy didn't make a huge impact initially eith IIRC.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 13 Jun 2007 12:06

Ian Royal I can think of 4 better buys off the top of my head.

Forster, Howie, Murty and Brebner, though Brebner was let go for peanuts after not too long.

Well it's all just opinon but in terms of what they did when TB was in charge...
Forster improved later and didn't do a lot if I remember under TB, Howie I never really rated (Whitehead replaced him ffs!), Murty was always injured and Brebner was on a level par with JM.

Perhaps i'm the only person who appreciated Jimmy's talents then?

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 13 Jun 2007 12:19

Ian Royal
Y21_Royal No mention of Henderson, Roach or Hartenberger? (or is that too long ago?)

I'm not happy that Goater, Asaba and Skittles are on the list. They were all our top scorers in various seasons and did a job for us at the time.

The answer can only be Paul Brayson, absolutely woeful player. I remember being excited over his signing as well :oops:

Everyone else had their moments, Rougier against Oxf*rd (I think) in the quagmire at the Mad, Scott scoring THAT goal against Bradford

Ok, here is my reasoning.

Henderson, didn't play many, and was quite a good sub goal scorer.
Roach barely played a game for us as i recall and I didn't know Hartenberger was a striker, marginly before my time.
Les Ferdinand didn't score many and cost a lot, but he was only here briefly and always looked good, and made us seem alot more dangerous, for that reason I didn't include him.

As for Goater, he is on there as a joke. I think he did a good job, but there are a lot of people who spit bile at him.
Williams was also mentioned on the thread that inspired this poll, I also thought he was a decent player, a midfielder converted to striker in our desperation iirc.
Asaba was promising but never really got going was dire in the air played in a poor team, again personally I thought he was good and we should have kept him.

Rougier I always thought of as more of a winger. but fair play.

For me it has to be Brayson. created oodles of chances and never looked like scoring any of them. Why oh why did he get so many games!?

I agree with your reasons but I think Henderson should be there, along with the great Bas Savage. I agree completely however that Brayson is the hands down winner!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2007 12:34

ScottishRoyal
Ian Royal I can think of 4 better buys off the top of my head.

Well it's all just opinon but in terms of what they did when TB was in charge...
Forster improved later and didn't do a lot if I remember under TB, Howie I never really rated (Whitehead replaced him ffs!), Murty was always injured and Brebner was on a level par with JM.

Perhaps i'm the only person who appreciated Jimmy's talents then?

he was alright, had his moments, but from what I remeber Brebner looked a cut above most of what we had. Yes, Fozzie and Murty didn't do lot under Burns, but he can hardly be blamed for their injuries and they have proved great servants of the club. I always thought Howie was a good keeper and Whitehead was decent too.

When you compare them to Peter Van der Krap and Simon Sheppard they were awesome. Also they came after a period of instability in goal where several seasons we had used 5 or more keepers. At least they managed to actually play for a decent length of time.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot Savage!

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 13 Jun 2007 12:41

AthleticoSpizz
Royal Rother

or

our worst striker?

twas brought on to play up front a few times, and tbf, he did actually put one past Sheff U for us.

Second ever game I saw us play!

I was there when,
I was there when
I was there when Vaughny scored! :lol:

I was also there when Brayson scored his only goal for us! A double deflected strike away at Wolves, I think we lost 3-1 that day which all but secured our impending fate.

Brayson has to win it for me, he was gash in an utter gash side.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2007 12:46

Hang on! Braysons only goal came before we were relegated?! He spent an entire season playing and not scoring!???!!!

Burns really was shit.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Jun 2007 12:54

Wasn't Bas S supposed to be a striker?