Shorey not a one cap wonder

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Aug 2007 22:29

Thought it was a decent game, England started very well, Germany scored from a keeper mistake and a genuine top class strike. Apart from that England created the better chances, just lack strikers. Dare I say a fit Reading number 8 would have bagged a couple tonight.

As for Shorey, thought he was ok. He's never going to be the same as he is for Reading, as it's a totally different team with a totally different way of playing.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 22 Aug 2007 22:32

Ok for 3rd choice

Kes

by Kes » 22 Aug 2007 22:34

Would be nice to see him go forward a little more but I suppose that will come with a few more appearances.

Reading West

by Reading West » 22 Aug 2007 22:47

unfortunately he did not do enough to seriously threaten the position of Cole or Bridge as the first choice left back, he did not get forward enough(IMO he seemed at times timid to do so), and might be accused of being partly responsible for the Germany 1st goalfor not fully clearing the ball.

Another problem for Shorey was the form of the right back Richards who was argurably England's best player defended well but always looking to go forward and created Englands goal, and people will see that is what a full back should be doing.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Aug 2007 22:52

Yeah Shorey was ok, his short passing was fine, but his long passing wasn't all that.
He defended fine, caught in posession once or twice.
But he didn't disgrace himself.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 22 Aug 2007 22:55

Agree that he did not go forward enough but it was easier for Richards as at least he has someone pass the ball to him when he made a run on the outside.

All England players were given the ball away too much including Shorey and some of the passes were awful. Thought Ferdinhand had a really crap game.

I think that Shorey will make the third choice left back slot his though. Which is still no mean feat.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Aug 2007 23:02

Think we'd see a much more confident and assured Shorey if he was sharing the left with Downing.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 22 Aug 2007 23:12

Thought Shorey was about as good for England tonight as he has been for Reading this season.

That is about average, decent enough in defence, cant pass his man and too many of his passes went astray. So decent touches though.

Think he may need a rest for a while or some stiffer competition at club level as he hasn't been the Shorey that he was last season, so far.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 22 Aug 2007 23:17

Not a bad performance fomr Shorey but how many times did Cole bring him into play?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Aug 2007 23:24

Southbank Old Boy Not a bad performance fomr Shorey but how many times did Cole bring him into play?

Probably twice, but Cole is a dribbler and will always try to take the player on.
Nothing personal.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 22 Aug 2007 23:39

BonBoh Thank you McLaren and England.
You have gone on to ruin a good full-back.
Shorey did not look himself for about 98% of the game. Every time he got the ball he was intimidated into either passing it backwards/sidewards to Terry, or the short pass to Joe Cole, or Frank Lampard.
As soon as they got the ball the game became predictable.
These so-called star players keep wanting the ball and do nothing with it. It's live on-screen advertisement. That's all.
Joe Cole will try to take on the world and lose it. Lampard calls for the ball and then plays it backwards to Terry.
It got so bad that Shorey wasn't even allowed to take a simple free-kick.
It had to be a Beckham Trademark every friggin' time, even if it was a back-pass to the keeper.
When the Kcuf is England going to learn that international football is not about product placement but about a game where you have to beat the opposition.

aargh, I could rant for hours.

I thought you had...

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Aug 2007 00:00

I can't help feeling there's a bit of double standards going on. Yes, Shorey was neat and tidy and "didn't do much wrong" in the sense of not making any glaring blunders, but that's the whole England set-up. They knock it around a few yards short of the half-way line and wait for a chance to punt it down the channels. It made me scream in the last game against Israel - who had us totally figured out - and if it's sh!t from England, it's sh!t from Shorey. Neat and tidy, short passes, nothing dangerous, no adventure, is not how he plays for Reading.

Unfortunately, I think Shorey is a classic Reading player - thriving in the low-key, high-energy game that is Steve Coppell's forte, but looking like a very, very ordinary player among the pampered elite.

Caveat emptor!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Aug 2007 00:02

Lets face it he was no worse than a lot of those so called seasoned internationals Cole, Beckham, Carrick, Smith and Owen were worse than him. But becouse he's from little ole Reading he won't play in the Euro qaulifiers.

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 23 Aug 2007 00:06

apart from one poor pass late on easily intercepted to set up aount attack he did fine - but could and should have capped his night with a telling cross to set up the equaliser in the minute - made a right mess of that

first goal :?: :?:

1) robinson should have held first shot
2) shorey on england player to react to robinson spilling said shot into middle of area (still robinsons fault)
3) shorey mops up danger but as is about to clear robinson takes charge and chips ball to germany captin (robinsons fault)
4) hahahahahahahah - ROFLobinson

how is any of this shorey's fault :?: :?:

apart from messing up his big chance near the end he seemed to suffer from the fact that the big 4 and spuROFLs thing is not just the manager but also the players and that (as others have mentioned) cole and fat frank would only pass to shorey as last resort - he overlapped well and was in acres of space every timr cole took the ball inside (dragging the full back in to leave plenty if room for nicky to cross) but cole never switched the ball back out wide as he would done many time if his namesake (and chavski player therefore good enough for england!) had been there :evil:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Aug 2007 00:09

if ever Shorey got the "return-ball"

then maybe England would've had better crosses from the left

if ever Shorey had been given the free kicks on the left (instead of His Royal Highness David Beckham), then they maybe they may not have been wasted

if ever Shorey "was high enough up the pecking order" to take the occasional corner..then maybe we would have snuck the 2-2

Reassurring to know...............................whatever Nicky S's performance was tonight,...he will be dropped for the next game.....nailed-on...and regardless

g

by g » 23 Aug 2007 00:34

the return ball thing annoyed me aswell, joe cole is greedy bollox, SWP was a nicer lad though and really coming back into his zone. hope to see more great performances from SWP in the future.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2007 08:58

I thought he got the attacking balance right, actually. This was Germany, noy Andorra - we had a couple of glimpses of what can happen if your full back is ahead of play when the ball is lost - almost instant German chances.

He only looked less attacking when compared to Richards - who is a very attacking full back. How often did Brown get over the centre line in the second half?

And in the dying minutes of a game when you are desperate for an equaliser there really should be someone attacking the near post.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 Aug 2007 09:06

Can we just clear this up.

A bloke in my office is insisting that for Germany's first goal, it was Shorey who hacked it out to Germany's right wing and then the bloke slung the cross back in.

But the way I saw it, it was Robinson who hacked it out.

Who is right?

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 23 Aug 2007 09:07

Norfolk Royal Can we just clear this up.

A bloke in my office is insisting that for Germany's first goal, it was Shorey who hacked it out to Germany's right wing and then the bloke slung the cross back in.

But the way I saw it, it was Robinson who hacked it out.

Who is right?

you are

def robinson

should have left it to shorey (and held the shot in the first place!)

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 23 Aug 2007 09:09

londinium Thought Shorey was about as good for England tonight as he has been for Reading this season.

That is about average, decent enough in defence, cant pass his man and too many of his passes went astray. So decent touches though.

Think he may need a rest for a while or some stiffer competition at club level as he hasn't been the Shorey that he was last season, so far.

I couldn't watch last night and only listened on the radio but the impression I got means I agree with you.

You can't really count the Man U game as it was such a different system, but both Chelsea and Everton games were disappointing for NS as his pass completion percentage seems to have dropped considerably and I thought he started looking for short passes only on Saturday after several long passes going astray. I think he was top of pass completion at Reading last season so it is a high level to keep up.