Player marks

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Sep 2007 16:57

working class hero
Yesterday, imho, no-one gave 100%

I think Kitson, Convey and Hunt all gave 100%. Admittedly Hunt lacked the quality we expect -but the other two seemed to turn the game and if the penalty had been scored I would have expected a draw.
I didn't really count Kitson and Convey to be honest as they came on as subs, but I concede that when they were on, they did try 100%. Hunt, for me, runs his socks off as usual, but I didn't think he played to his usual standard. I suppose it could be argued that he couldn't do very much when he got the ball and went to pass it as none of the others were up to par. They were throughly disappointing, but Coppell didn't give any excuses and I trust him to sort this out.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 02 Sep 2007 18:28

Re a few players:

Kitson & Convey looked sharp when they came on. Their presence on the pitch also coincided with Doyle's best period of the match (penalty excluded).

Gunnarsson can do a very good job when we need to play defensively, but lacks the energy needed for this Reading team to play to its potential.

Hunt didn't seem to have as much energy as normal - although Lucas Neil defended very well against him.

I'm surprised at many people's criticism of Shorey - he was below his usual standards, but he certainly wasn't poor.

Murty had a poor game.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Sep 2007 22:04

Baines I'm surprised at many people's criticism of Shorey - he was below his usual standards, but he certainly wasn't poor.

Indeed - for one thing he was the only one who could generally manage decent passes throughout the game. I don't think we had ayone else on the pitch who could have delivered that delicious pass inside the fullback for Convey late on.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Sep 2007 22:12

Those who think that Harper was poor (in comparison to the rest) yesterday need an injection of brain cell.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 02 Sep 2007 22:46

no marks

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 02 Sep 2007 23:16

West Stand Man Those who think that Harper was poor (in comparison to the rest) yesterday need an injection of brain cell.

I think you've probably donated far too many already.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 02 Sep 2007 23:35

To be fair to Doyle I've seen plenty of worse penalties. It was a very decent save and I don't think too much blame should be attached.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 02 Sep 2007 23:41

RobRoyal To be fair to Doyle I've seen plenty of worse penalties. It was a very decent save and I don't think too much blame should be attached.

Not when you see it from hehind the goal - Green had moved so far to the left before Doyle had shot it was scary.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 02 Sep 2007 23:45

Platypuss
RobRoyal To be fair to Doyle I've seen plenty of worse penalties. It was a very decent save and I don't think too much blame should be attached.

Not when you see it from hehind the goal - Green had moved so far to the left before Doyle had shot it was scary.

:? Maybe he was going for the double-bluff...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 02 Sep 2007 23:49

Then you still go for the other corner - even if Green had gone to his right he wouldn't have stood an earthly of covering it.

He was really, really a long way left.

Holding Out Hope

by Holding Out Hope » 03 Sep 2007 02:16

I think Shorey had his best game of the season, Fae did alright. Lita looked lively except going down too easily, cut it out and he will become a great and play for England.
The rest aren't even worth mentioning.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 03 Sep 2007 08:26

Holding Out Hope I think Shorey had his best game of the season, Fae did alright. Lita looked lively except going down too easily, cut it out and he will become a great and play for England.
The rest aren't even worth mentioning.

He has made a shocking start hasn't he. Yet to play well in Sidwell's absence.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 03 Sep 2007 22:06

Platypuss
West Stand Man Those who think that Harper was poor (in comparison to the rest) yesterday need an injection of brain cell.

I think you've probably donated far too many already.

Clearly my generosity knows no limits. Mind you, when you have a pool of riches like mine you can afford to donate.

working class hero

by working class hero » 03 Sep 2007 22:18

Not half as badly as Harps does mind! :lol:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 04 Sep 2007 12:16

The Quiet Man I think Doyle is worried that at some point he would have a sh*t spell and its becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. At the start of the season he seemed to me to be trying too hard and doing too much and now he seems to be drifting into the lack of confidence. He really needed to put away that penalty to get going yet never looked like he was going to do it. I haven't seen too much wrong with his general game but any striker needs confidence and he looks like a guy whose fabulous two seasons have just caught up with him a little bit.

Agreed, I thought that in the 2nd half of last season too. I read Stuart Pearce's autobiography over the summer and it was interesting that he said that if you worry about picking up an injury or something bad happening with your career, it usually does. As soon as I read that I thought of Doyle, his interviews in the first half of last season were quite pessimistic, saying that his success was too good to be true and going to end soon.