A message to you Leroy

134 posts
Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Oct 2007 12:31

Jerry St Clair
Man Friday I was as frustrated as anybody when he missed those two chances but they don't make him a bad player. One, he was in the right position; two, he would normally put them away. It was just a fluke. He had a good game and made a valid contribution to the win. Stick with the same team and the same formation.

Have you finished with the cliches, or are there more to come?

The problem I have with Lita is that he acts like he's the best forward the division when in fact, he's not even the 3rd best forward in our team.

Robin Friday arsed around and everyone tolerated it because he was a genius. Leroy can do the same when he stops missing sitters and starts winning games regularly.

I'll stop the cliches when you stop talking out your a**e (as evidenced by others' responses to your comments). I didn't realise he'd started in earnest missing sitters and wouldn't it be good if he "started winning games regularly" (then the rest of the team wouldn't need to show up).

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Oct 2007 12:32

Royal Rother
Man Friday One, he was in the right position; two, he would normally put them away. It was just a fluke.

You haven't seen him play very often have you?

No, only all the home games and about a third of the away ones.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Oct 2007 14:13

Jerry St Clair
Man Friday I was as frustrated as anybody when he missed those two chances but they don't make him a bad player. One, he was in the right position; two, he would normally put them away. It was just a fluke. He had a good game and made a valid contribution to the win. Stick with the same team and the same formation.

The problem I have with Lita is that he acts like he's the best forward the division when in fact, he's not even the 3rd best forward in our team.

Robin Friday arsed around and everyone tolerated it because he was a genius. Leroy can do the same when he stops missing sitters and starts winning games regularly.

As someone who saw Robin Friday play a fair bit, I would point out that he wasn't a genius all of the time. He had moments of brilliance just as Lita has already demonstrated that he's capable of. The rest of the time his game was about good all round play, holding the ball up, laying it off, neat touches and generally making life difficult for defenders.

In fact what impressed me most when I saw Friday make his debut was his work rate, particularly the way he never gave anything up as a lost cause and threw himself into 'Kitsonesque' challenges.

For me, the positive thing about Lita's performance on Saturday was that he was starting to do the same things. IIRC the second sitter he 'missed' started with him taking up a defensive position on the edge of his own box and then racing right through the middle to support Doyle's break forward. Later on he 'did a Kitson' on the near the touchline throwing himself into a challenge to whip the ball off the feet of a defender who was trying to break forward (I think there's a photo of this on the OS).

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Oct 2007 14:17

RoyalBlue Later on he 'did a Kitson' on the near the touchline throwing himself into a challenge to whip the ball off the feet of a defender who was trying to break forward (I think there's a photo of this on the OS).

That was also met with rapturous applause from around the Mad Stad. I think it was more out of surprise than anything else.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 30 Oct 2007 15:13

I have it on good authority( fat drunken bloke wearing a stained Pompey shirt in the roughest pub in the locality) that Nugent and Leroy will be swapping clubs in January with a cash adjustment hitting our coffers.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Oct 2007 15:17

RoyalBlue
Jerry St Clair

As someone who saw Robin Friday play a fair bit, I would point out that he wasn't a genius all of the time. He had moments of brilliance just as Lita has already demonstrated that he's capable of. The rest of the time his game was about good all round play, holding the ball up, laying it off, neat touches and generally making life difficult for defenders.

In fact what impressed me most when I saw Friday make his debut was his work rate, particularly the way he never gave anything up as a lost cause and threw himself into 'Kitsonesque' challenges.

Also as someone who saw Robin Friday play a fair bit, I concur entirely.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 30 Oct 2007 17:28

Riseley I have it on good authority( fat drunken bloke wearing a stained Pompey shirt in the roughest pub in the locality) that Nugent and Leroy will be swapping clubs in January with a cash adjustment hitting our coffers.

Another bum deal if that's the case - and once again Pompey strengthen at our expense!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Oct 2007 17:34

I'd have backed Nugent to score a hattrick with the chances Leroy missed on Saturday.......................

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Oct 2007 18:06

Would he have been there to miss them though....?

Man Friday
Royal Rother
Man Friday One, he was in the right position; two, he would normally put them away. It was just a fluke.

You haven't seen him play very often have you?

No, only all the home games and about a third of the away ones.

Then you should know that flukes seem to happen quite often when he's about 3 yards out.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Oct 2007 18:59

Royal Rother Would he have been there to miss them though....?

Both of us would have been there to miss the first one :P

And one of us, at least, would have buried it :?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 30 Oct 2007 19:38

Tim Dellor summed it nicely up.

He said that it's all very well Leroy wearing the bling and driving a hummer, but surely when he airshoots 6 yards out in the Premiership he might show a little more humility when dealing with local radio rather than ignoring them totally.

FWIW I think he'll be gone by the start of next season because someone will come in with an offer we can't refuse.

BLUES & ROYAL

by BLUES & ROYAL » 30 Oct 2007 20:40

JEEEEZ

The geezer missed a couple of chances on Saturday.

WTF has Lita done wrong to merit the shite that some spout on here!

Fabregas vs Liverpool missed an open goal
Benjani missed a penalty to win the game for Pompey
Gerrard missed a sitter for England............

The list is endless

Lay off the the bloke and get behind HIM and the TEAM and lets hope he gets the winner Saturday.

Fubar
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Fubar » 30 Oct 2007 22:55

rg6royal he's a good player but just needs to keep his head in the game.

Instead of up his arse...

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 31 Oct 2007 01:01

Jerry St Clair

I was thinking a Friday analogy was coming and i wasnt dissapointed :roll: ! The thing is that Friday was a flawed genuis, a one off whose career nosed dived as quick as it began. To even try to compare Leroy in this category is plain silly.Where is the evidence that he is self destructive enough to ruin his career?, yes he has done silly things but hardly things that directly affect his ability on the pitch. Its as if we are willing him to do stupid things so that we have a perceived 'bad boy' to talk about. Lita is a young professional with a point to prove having been released by Chelsea and is replicating his talents with Reading in the prem. I really dont see it on the football pitch that Lita is giving it the big ' i am' - if anything i dont think he expresses himself enough on the pitch at the moment and is often pretty quiet. Lita has obvious qualities that if worked on makes him a valuable member of our team-he blows hot and cold but that can be said of a number of strikers. Lita has also proved he is a matchwinner- i can only think of a great peformance away at Man City as a case in point.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Oct 2007 01:47

lita is a better player than nugent

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 31 Oct 2007 08:04

BLUES & ROYAL JEEEEZ

The geezer missed a couple of chances on Saturday.

WTF has Lita done wrong to merit the shite that some spout on here!

Fabregas vs Liverpool missed an open goal
Benjani missed a penalty to win the game for Pompey
Gerrard missed a sitter for England............

The list is endless

Lay off the the bloke and get behind HIM and the TEAM and lets hope he gets the winner Saturday.

agreed.

if you look at other players with these big price tags look at the misses they make. e.g fabregas v Reading at the emirate last season missed an open goal. Leroy is quality player and he wouldnt have had the letter from the f.a if he was rubbish !

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Oct 2007 12:53

I'm sorry but you CAN'T have a go at someone for missing sitters.

Can happen to absolutely anyone, and doesn't reflect anything other than bad luck.

If he hadn't gotten into those positions in the first place then you maybe could. You can only really have a go at a striker who isn't running around trying to get into the right positions and who is jut being a lazy arse. When you have someone clearly getting into the right positions but ballooning balls over or missing sitters that's a different matter.

I do take the point re: arrogance though. But I'm not convinced that doing silly things off the pitch means he's arrogant or has a bad attitude on it. In fact, when he's on the pitch he's well behaved and does work hard.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 Oct 2007 13:45

Woodcote Royal I'd have backed Nugent to score a hattrick with the chances Leroy missed on Saturday.......................

You'd have got damn good odds because I don't recall him missing three. What's more Nugent isn't exactly Mr Reliable finisher 100% of the time.

Wax Jacket Tim Dellor summed it nicely up.

He said that it's all very well Leroy wearing the bling and driving a hummer, but surely when he airshoots 6 yards out in the Premiership he might show a little more humility when dealing with local radio rather than ignoring them totally.

FWIW I think he'll be gone by the start of next season because someone will come in with an offer we can't refuse.

Was he blanking them or was it just that he rarely, if ever gives interviews?

And if anyone makes us an offer that we really can't refuse, it will be because they think he is a far better player than many on here do - and they will in all probability be shown to have made a wise investment.

Behindu
2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm sorry but you CAN'T have a go at someone for missing sitters.

Can happen to absolutely anyone, and doesn't reflect anything other than bad luck.

Time to bring in the Gary Player quote about the harder he works the luckier he gets...

Neither of Leroy's misses were down to 'luck'. There were no slight deflections or bad bobbles. They were bad misses and down to poor technique.

But it doesn;t make him a bad player or a bad person and he'll miss more easy chances in his career.

No forward finishes 100% of his chances but Leroy needs to learn and would do himslef an awful lot of good if he did remember to watch the ball and get his legs the right way round....

When you are running forwards that is the normal way your legs face! I still maintain that Doyle's cross for the first missed 'sitter' was whipped across just behind Lita's run, hence the difficulty in adjusting his position to make contact.

Agree with your overall conclusion though.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 31 Oct 2007 13:56, edited 3 times in total.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 31 Oct 2007 13:47

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm sorry but you CAN'T have a go at someone for missing sitters.

Time to bring in the Gary Player quote about the harder he works the luckier he gets...

Neither of Leroy's misses were down to 'luck'. There were no slight deflections or bad bobbles. They were bad misses and down to poor technique.

But it doesn;t make him a bad player or a bad person and he'll miss more easy chances in his career.

No forward finishes 100% of his chances but Leroy needs to learn and would do himslef an awful lot of good if he did remember to watch the ball and get his legs the right way round....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Oct 2007 14:48

Behindu

actually the 1st chance was due to the ball coming at him quickly and slightly behind him, his last second readjustment caused him to misskick.
a trifle unlucky
and the second was just a bad 1st touch.
doyle also had an airshot in the same game and probably had a bad 1st touch too
its just litas were so obvious, in the middle of the box, on his own
and only lita gets slagged off

pure unbridles racism :wink:

134 posts