Martin Williams & others (a where are they now thread)

122 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Nov 2007 19:05

Whistle What happened to Adie Williams?

Last I heard of he was at Swindon at the start of last season - then what?

Last I heard he was on BBCRB about an hour ago. Still at Swindon.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Nov 2007 19:07

Dirk Gently
Whistle What happened to Adie Williams?

Last I heard of he was at Swindon at the start of last season - then what?

Last I heard he was on BBCRB about an hour ago. Still at Swindon.

Is he still playing in their first team or coaching? He must be around 36/37 now.

Whistle

by Whistle » 02 Nov 2007 19:14

Not in any 1st team line-up I've seen lately hence the question.

Poor sod.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Nov 2007 19:44

Injured, but Sturrock is keeping him active and involved as a mentor to their younger players.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 02 Nov 2007 21:39

Whatever happened to Darius Dwobzwek (spelling?) the finest centre back to have ever worn the hoops in my opinion. Last I heard he was managing a team in Warsaw but had a fall out with the chairman but that was years ago. Jeez, what a player he was. Until then all we had had was the likes of Martin Hicks and Steve Hetzke - full marks for effort but errrrrr not for much else - and then along came a man who looked like he had modelled his game off Beckenbauer. Truly, a joy to watch.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 02 Nov 2007 22:30

No-one seems to have mentioned his wonder goal / complete fluke against the Pox at EP in September 96, I think Trevor Morley scored the other in a 2-0 win.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 03 Nov 2007 04:56

Cripple Creek Whatever happened to Darius Dwobzwek (spelling?) the finest centre back to have ever worn the hoops in my opinion. Last I heard he was managing a team in Warsaw but had a fall out with the chairman but that was years ago. Jeez, what a player he was. Until then all we had had was the likes of Martin Hicks and Steve Hetzke - full marks for effort but errrrrr not for much else - and then along came a man who looked like he had modelled his game off Beckenbauer. Truly, a joy to watch.

I have a feeling I'm about to experience a whoooooooosh, but he was appointed as Polonia's coach (for the second time) on Tuesday.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Nov 2007 09:36

rabidbee
Cripple Creek Whatever happened to Darius Dwobzwek (spelling?) the finest centre back to have ever worn the hoops in my opinion. Last I heard he was managing a team in Warsaw but had a fall out with the chairman but that was years ago. Jeez, what a player he was. Until then all we had had was the likes of Martin Hicks and Steve Hetzke - full marks for effort but errrrrr not for much else - and then along came a man who looked like he had modelled his game off Beckenbauer. Truly, a joy to watch.

I have a feeling I'm about to experience a whoooooooosh, but he was appointed as Polonia's coach (for the second time) on Tuesday.

I dont think its a whoosh moment rabidbee as I thnk CC asked it in a genuine fashion. Its on another thread I think...but doesn't matter as you have just reaffirmed what Wdowczyk(spelling may well be wrong)is now doing

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Nov 2007 11:12

Archie's penalty
2 world wars, 1 world cup I always likes skittles.

My main memory of him: at home against PNE with my PNE supporting mates. I predicted 2-2 and told them to watch out for skittles especially.

Half time, 2-0 down and they mockingly commented "Oh I suppose Martin T'Williams is gonna score two goals to make it 2-2 eh?"

Which is of course exactly what happened.

Never looked so smug, haha.

Thank you Martin Williams!

But why was he called Skittles?

Sorry mate you've not received an answer yet. He was called skittles becuase, well... he occasionally managed to stay on his two feet.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Nov 2007 13:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Archie's penalty

My main memory of him: at home against PNE with my PNE supporting mates. I predicted 2-2 and told them to watch out for skittles especially.

Half time, 2-0 down and they mockingly commented "Oh I suppose Martin T'Williams is gonna score two goals to make it 2-2 eh?"

Sorry mate you've not received an answer yet. He was called skittles becuase, well... he occasionally managed to stay on his two feet.

Or, more precisely, every time the ball came close - he fell over.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Nov 2007 13:15

Dirk Gently
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Archie's penalty

Or, more precisely, every time the ball came close - he fell over.

Yeah I kinda guessed as much. Still a great player though!

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 03 Nov 2007 16:08

For the record it wasn't a whooosh at all. I genuiely wanted to know what he was up to.

Ta.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 03 Nov 2007 16:34

Cripple Creek For the record it wasn't a whooosh at all. I genuiely wanted to know what he was up to.

Ta.

Fair enough. I had a feeling it was one of those clichéd questions always being asked - along the lines of "What is the great tune we play before the teams come out?..."

I have a feeling that there was some controversy surrounding Dariusz's tenure of one of his previous clubs, but I don't recall the details.

Oh, and it's Dariusz Wdowczyk.

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 03 Nov 2007 16:37

Nathan Tyson scores for Forest

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Jan 2008 18:48

Martin Williams missed a month or more before Christmas due to injury but returned recently.

He aparently scored a cracking goal for Windsor & Eton in a recent game, controlling to ball with a flick then lobbing the 'keeper from 25 yards. Class, I am told!

Interesting that W&E sacked their manager in December and have gone on a terrific run since, both under the caretaker bosses, and now their newly appointed manager, none other than Keith Scott, (nicknamed "The Colonel" apparently).

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Martin Williams (a where are they now thread)

by Coppelled Streets » 06 Jan 2008 18:59

Royal Rother I didn't know this but, if anyone's interested, he is playing at Windsor & Eton at the moment.

Chatting to a pub mate at the weekend about him, he tells me he is a class act for them playing in midfield and a really nice chap as well.

He played in front of 115 in their last home game.

Any other "where are they nows" that might surprise some of us?

I played in front of a bigger crowd than that when I played for Wokingham Town about 10 years ago.

Look at me!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Martin Williams (a where are they now thread)

by Gordons Cumming » 06 Jan 2008 19:06

Coppelled Streets
Royal Rother I didn't know this but, if anyone's interested, he is playing at Windsor & Eton at the moment.

Chatting to a pub mate at the weekend about him, he tells me he is a class act for them playing in midfield and a really nice chap as well.

He played in front of 115 in their last home game.

Any other "where are they nows" that might surprise some of us?

I played in front of a bigger crowd than that when I played for Wokingham Town about 10 years ago.

Look at me!

You played for Wokingham Town?

Oooohhhh, look at you!

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 06 Jan 2008 19:50

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Ricky Newman is still going strong and playing for Aldershot Town.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Jan 2008 19:51

....and scored on New Years day

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jan 2008 19:04

Windsor & Eton (under new manager Keith Scott) continued their excellent run of form with another injury time winner against Godalming last week, after which Martin Williams got involved in a melee, flattened one of their players, and received his marching orders.

122 posts