MOTD 15/12/07

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 09 Dec 2007 12:04

rg6royal
RoyalBlue
crossie
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Y21_Royal Re Jacqui Oatley. I don't have any problems with women commentating on MOTD, they can't be worse than some of the ones they have. BUT she is just too high pitched and screechy for that time in the evening.
it just sounds "wrong". I think she's trying too hard to do it like the male commentators. After all, they do often have a woman doing the goals round-up at the end of the news and there's no problem with that, but she does somehow have a fingernails down the blackboard effect on the ears on match of the day.

It's almost as if she's reading it from a bit of paper! Just acting it and, yes, trying to be like the male commentators.

Agreed. She sounds as bad as Dellor did on that awful DVD that Meridian produced for RFC a couple of seasons back. Very much like she has written and recorded her commentary (based on all the usual male cliches) after the match has taken place.

LOL who's idea was it to let a woman commentator commentate on MOTD !

Presumably someone who isn't a complete idiot and thinks the sound of a woman's voice is "unnatural". I can honestly say I didn't even notice who was commentating until about half way through the highlights. But then I'm not a cave-dwelling cretin :roll:

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 09 Dec 2007 12:32

BobKnows
rg6royal
RoyalBlue
crossie
Y21_Royal Re Jacqui Oatley. I don't have any problems with women commentating on MOTD, they can't be worse than some of the ones they have. BUT she is just too high pitched and screechy for that time in the evening.
it just sounds "wrong". I think she's trying too hard to do it like the male commentators. After all, they do often have a woman doing the goals round-up at the end of the news and there's no problem with that, but she does somehow have a fingernails down the blackboard effect on the ears on match of the day.

It's almost as if she's reading it from a bit of paper! Just acting it and, yes, trying to be like the male commentators.

Agreed. She sounds as bad as Dellor did on that awful DVD that Meridian produced for RFC a couple of seasons back. Very much like she has written and recorded her commentary (based on all the usual male cliches) after the match has taken place.

Presumably someone who isn't a complete idiot and thinks the sound of a woman's voice is "unnatural". I can honestly say I didn't even notice who was commentating until about half way through the highlights. But then I'm not a cave-dwelling cretin :roll:

I'm all for involving women more in football. I have said on this board before that I feel that misogyny and homophobia are both very much still prevalent in football culture, and somehow football seems to get away with it where other sectors of society would face a justified hounding. That said, Jacqui Oatley is a steaming pile of turd of a commentator. Absolutely terrible. Piercing, shrieking, annoying voice, irritating mannerisms, etc. I know plenty of women who aren't cliché-ridden, exciteable children. Why couldn't they have asked one of them to commentate instead?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Dec 2007 12:36

JimmytheJim
BobKnows
rg6royal
RoyalBlue
crossie

I'm all for involving women more in football. I have said on this board before that I feel that misogyny and homophobia are both very much still prevalent in football culture, and somehow football seems to get away with it where other sectors of society would face a justified hounding. That said, Jacqui Oatley is a steaming pile of turd of a commentator. Absolutely terrible. Piercing, shrieking, annoying voice, irritating mannerisms, etc. I know plenty of women who aren't cliché-ridden, exciteable children. Why couldn't they have asked one of them to commentate instead?

Whether the commentator is a woman or a man, it doesn't matter.
But the way she commentates is that she's one paced, and just declaring statements to no one in particular.

Good commentators change pace, urgency and paint a picture.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

Re: MOTD

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Dec 2007 12:44

Row Z Royal We're on first!

It's a conspiracy!

Care factor equals zero

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 09 Dec 2007 12:46

Not the best commentator I agree. But time and experience may fix that. That said, most of these idiotic posters, would vilify her and any other female commentators, regardless. It is clear her shortcomings are, for some reason, twice as inexcusable as her male colleagues. The absolutely inanity of Motson and co. these days, for example, drives me round the oxf*rd bend. But that, apparently, is OK :roll:

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 09 Dec 2007 12:56

What about that guy doing the Everton match report on BBCRB last night?! He sounded like he was from the 13th century.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Dec 2007 12:59

BobKnows any other female commentators

I don't care if the commentator is male or female, but the current female commentator for MOTD, the one who did Everton last night was unbearable.

That has nothing to do with weather she has a fanny.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 09 Dec 2007 13:09

Don't worry we will be last next week ! :lol:

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 09 Dec 2007 16:24

bobby1413

I don't care if the commentator is male or female, but the current female commentator for MOTD, the one who did Everton last night was unbearable.

Sunny fanny?
Windy fanny?
Snowy fanny?
Rainy fanny?

or my personal favourite; Wet fanny :lol:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 09 Dec 2007 16:25

Huntley & Palmer

It's a conspiracy!

Care factor equals zero

:lol:

Cheer up Huntley.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 09 Dec 2007 16:41

crossie What about that guy doing the Everton match report on BBCRB last night?! He sounded like he was from the 13th century.
I always felt Geoff Chaucer was wasted on Poetry.

<--Forsooth comeon oneth thee Royalites
Of thilke ensample suche that thou ist
Feare no brother synfully especially Manure
For thouest forshore grater gathering
Than thise cursed world mayve ne seyn

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Dec 2007 17:05

Row Z Royal
Huntley & Palmer

It's a conspiracy!

Care factor equals zero

:lol:

Cheer up Huntley.

Too hungover for that

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2007 17:21

crossie What about that guy doing the Everton match report on BBCRB last night?! He sounded like he was from the 13th century.

Presumably Stuart Hall. I think he's superb.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 09 Dec 2007 17:28

just want to say that both Torres incidents were non penalties, no matter what the stupid papers said this morning..Sonko clearly got a touch both times as shown on MOTD

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Dec 2007 18:15

Chaney just want to say that both Torres incidents were non penalties, no matter what the stupid papers said this morning..Sonko clearly got a touch both times as shown on MOTD

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Dec 2007 18:32

bobby1413
crossie

Agree with that. It's like she's on queue from someone, and when they tell her too, she reads the line out from the piece of paper - without even looking at the screen.

Also, why does everything she say have to end LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!

It's not amazing news to say "HE PASSES THE BALL!!!!, GOOD CONTROL!!!! AWWW, IT'S OUT FOR A THROW IN!!!!"

very screechy

but i liked
"and the ball bobbles apologetically over the line " for one of them

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 09 Dec 2007 19:22

Royal Rother

I couldn't stop laughing when i heard that!

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 09 Dec 2007 19:36

crossie
Royal Rother

I couldn't stop laughing when i heard that!
He makes me chuckle when i hear him lol! and did anyone read the Times this morning? there newspaper reorpter could not be anymore biast towards Liverpool if he tried, but we won so fook him!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 09 Dec 2007 19:57

biscuitsrus
bobby1413

Sunny fanny?
Windy fanny?
Snowy fanny?
Rainy fanny?

or my personal favourite; Wet fanny :lol:

LOL Ditto :lol:

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 09 Dec 2007 19:57

Royal Rother

Agreed - his style of commentary is - to say the very least - idiosyncratic. He's a Man City fan, and in his mid-seventies, but still turns out at lower-league grounds to describe events on a wet weekend. Several classic clips of him on YouTube, mainly commentating on It's a Knockout.

As for female commentators, I've no objection in principle, but Jacqui Oatley is not the answer. What is needed is the footballing equivalent of Vicki Butler-Henderson on Fifth Gear.
Last edited by Upper West Ginger on 09 Dec 2007 23:19, edited 1 time in total.