Coppell has faith Oster can beat the boo boys.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell has faith Oster can beat the boo boys.

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Mar 2008 04:52

zummerset 'I won't change my game'.........now we really are worried about team selection. I would have thought that comments about accepting standards aren't high enough, working harder, not thinking so far ahead in the game that I forget that I have to not pass my next ball straight to an opponent or out of play, making the occasional defensive tackle would have been wiser.

I was feeling a bit flakey on whether the fans should cut him some slack but he is getting sxxt because of what he shows off each week. And for the record the pass to Marek for the wonder goal was overhit and the credit is with MM for the control of the strike.

What utter nonsense.

He could have said "It's the manager's opinion that counts and not the views of no-nothing fans who make a 400 mile round trip to boo their team as it battles to avoid relegation.

And, as for Oster's pass to Marek being over-hit, I wonder how many pages would have been filled this week if it had been under-hit, intercepted and the Reds had scored on the break :roll:

For that very reason, the safest option was always to hit that pass with pace.

And, you can bet your @rse that, had the same pass been made by Golden Boy Shorey his fan club would have been singing his praises all week, yet all Oster got from some of our so called supporters was a cheer when he was subbed........................ some of you really are pathetic.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 21 Mar 2008 06:36

Woodcote Royal

And, you can bet your @rse that, had the same pass been made by Golden Boy Shorey his fan club would have been singing his praises all week, yet all Oster got from some of our so called supporters was a cheer when he was subbed........................ some of you really are pathetic.

Not all. I am behind Oster. It is unfortunate that each year their is one player that a majority of HNA and Reading supporters zero in on to give stick too. I think criticism is warranted from time to time. But it looks like piling on to me when there is never any mention of his good play (when it happens) but lots of re-hashing of his mistakes. I hope he scores this week and plays his best game to silence the critics for a few days.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Mar 2008 12:15

Wycombe Royal Some of Oster's play is actually too good for the majority of our players. He has the vision to spot where to pass a ball but unfortunately for him the other members of the team don't have the same vision.

However we now have Matejovsky as well, and I noticed during the Man City game that Oster was the only player who was on the same wavelength as him when attempting to play defence splitting passes. Then we also have the goal at Liverpool - the same two players involved. The only other players in our squad who have "vision" anywhere near the level of those two are Convey and Harper (plus Little when fit).

Fully agree with what you say and completely disagree with those who say he is mentally slow and lacks team ethic. IMO it is some of the players around the likes of Oster, Marek and Harper that are the mentally slow ones and lack the vision to spot what the three aforementioned players are trying to do.

The likes of Beavon, Smillie and Caskey were similar players who suffered at the hands of the boo boys because in footballing terms they were too intelligent for the majority of the dunces who were alongside them in the team.

Man Friday what a load of carp!!! Oster too good for his teammates! What next? Sonko too skilful? Murts too quick? Long too tall? None of these back-handed compliments address the main criticism which is that he won't get stuck in (or even chase back). Nobody wants to play with somebody who won't get stuck in when teammates are risking their necks (or legs). Forget the chances he's missed, his wayward passes - the bloke just won't support his teammates!! I don't blame Coppell for supporting him - that's his job - but see it for just that for crying out loud.

And, of course, great teams have never contained good creative players that won't get stuck in (or even chase back)!!

Most teams are a blend of players and style. There just aren't enough hard tackling, hard running, highly skilful, intelligent passing players to go around and those that do exist tend to get snapped up by the richest clubs!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 21 Mar 2008 12:29

RoyalBlue I think this but really sums it up:

“John does take risks and if it doesn’t work he has a tendency to look bad, but he’s a good player and I have a lot of time for him."

I'd rather see players take risks that occasionally don't pay off than hide in their shells. Players who take risks also create opportunities that we desparately need if we are to stay up. Oster took a risk when he played the freekick across to Marek on Saturday. It paid off and we got a goal but I'm sure the boo boys would have gone for him even more had it not worked.

I hope he continues to take risks and proves the boo boys wrong. IMO he is a good player.

The trouble is that most of the boo boys would recognise a footballer if it was highlighted and headlined in front of them. They just pick on a player and try to destroy him for little or no reason. Its in the nature of things.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 21 Mar 2008 12:58

brendywendy looks like the run of games is doing him good
a gradual improvement, and has done some really good things, and less bad things

likely to be totally undone by the knock to his confidence he took by being booed off by his own support at anfield

but what can you do-he isnt the best winger weve ever had, and people here alwaysd look for a scapegoat, weve been scratching around for one since seol left, and osters it apparently

i like the bloke, think he does try very hard, has a modicum of talent, hasnt exactly covered himself in glory here yet
but i really hope he scores at the weekend,

its time to get behind the team, all of them

Good post. I cannot see what benefit it does Oster or the side if he is being booed by our own alleged supporters. Might help the oposition though.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Mar 2008 14:37

seahawk10
Woodcote Royal

Not all. I am behind Oster. It is unfortunate that each year their is one player that a majority of HNA and Reading supporters zero in on to give stick too. I think criticism is warranted from time to time. But it looks like piling on to me when there is never any mention of his good play (when it happens) but lots of re-hashing of his mistakes. I hope he scores this week and plays his best game to silence the critics for a few days.

So do I of course. As does every Reading fan, you numpty.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Mar 2008 14:39

RoyalBlue
Wycombe Royal Some of Oster's play is actually too good for the majority of our players. He has the vision to spot where to pass a ball but unfortunately for him the other members of the team don't have the same vision.

However we now have Matejovsky as well, and I noticed during the Man City game that Oster was the only player who was on the same wavelength as him when attempting to play defence splitting passes. Then we also have the goal at Liverpool - the same two players involved. The only other players in our squad who have "vision" anywhere near the level of those two are Convey and Harper (plus Little when fit).

Fully agree with what you say and completely disagree with those who say he is mentally slow and lacks team ethic. IMO it is some of the players around the likes of Oster, Marek and Harper that are the mentally slow ones and lack the vision to spot what the three aforementioned players are trying to do.

The likes of Beavon, Smillie and Caskey were similar players who suffered at the hands of the boo boys because in footballing terms they were too intelligent for the majority of the dunces who were alongside them in the team.

Man Friday what a load of carp!!! Oster too good for his teammates! What next? Sonko too skilful? Murts too quick? Long too tall? None of these back-handed compliments address the main criticism which is that he won't get stuck in (or even chase back). Nobody wants to play with somebody who won't get stuck in when teammates are risking their necks (or legs). Forget the chances he's missed, his wayward passes - the bloke just won't support his teammates!! I don't blame Coppell for supporting him - that's his job - but see it for just that for crying out loud.

And, of course, great teams have never contained good creative players that won't get stuck in (or even chase back)!!

Most teams are a blend of players and style. There just aren't enough hard tackling, hard running, highly skilful, intelligent passing players to go around and those that do exist tend to get snapped up by the richest clubs!

He hasn't earned the right to be "lazy". He hardly makes up for it like, say, Hoddell did (allegedly) or Marsh or...

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Mar 2008 15:35

West Stand Man

“John does take risks and if it doesn’t work he has a tendency to look bad, but he’s a good player and I have a lot of time for him."

I'd rather see players take risks that occasionally don't pay off than hide in their shells. Players who take risks also create opportunities that we desparately need if we are to stay up. Oster took a risk when he played the freekick across to Marek on Saturday. It paid off and we got a goal but I'm sure the boo boys would have gone for him even more had it not worked.

I hope he continues to take risks and proves the boo boys wrong. IMO he is a good player.

The trouble is that most of the boo boys would recognise a footballer if it was highlighted and headlined in front of them. They just pick on a player and try to destroy him for little or no reason. Its in the nature of things.

First of all, the majority of us that don't rate Oster don't boo him. We just don't want him in the side. And as for little or no reason...he doesn't get stuck in or chase back. I wouldn't mind if he had the skills of Ronaldo to compensate but then even he fights for every ball just like other great players (Best, etc). Oster is no more skilful than any other Reading player - in fact less so than most (e.g. Shorey, Kitson, Czech, Harper). He has no right to take a back seat on the pitch. His level of skill has not earned him that right, if indeed it is a right (see comments about Ronaldo). He's missed sitters over the years and hardly scored or created. For crying out loud it's not personal but I fail to see what he contributes other than give us eleven men on the pitch.

royals pete

by royals pete » 21 Mar 2008 17:01

It just may be that he needs his run in the team to connect with team mates. Common theme that players will improve and fit in afetr that run and we're starting to see it with Matty. Can't remember how many games Oster has started recently but we really should start to see this 'real' John Oster TOMORROW. Plenty of support needed for ALL the players .

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 21 Mar 2008 17:34

West Stand Man

The trouble is that most of the boo boys wouldn't recognise a footballer if it was highlighted and headlined in front of them. They just pick on a player and try to destroy him for little or no reason. Its in the nature of things.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Mar 2008 18:22

who cares what he does in training. If he cant do anything in a match then whats the point him playing! Sure fae has done things in training so why cant he get in like oster seems to do on the basis that he does stuff in training.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 21 Mar 2008 19:50

I was sorry that the away fans cheered so obviously when he was subbed at Anfield.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 21 Mar 2008 21:14

I saw John Oster at the Tesco's in Kings Meadow earlier today. I was over by the newspaper stand and he was just walking out. As he walked out through the doors, I let out a loud "BOOOOOOO!!!!" and then quickly covered my face with a newspaper. Everyone stared at me as if i was a mentalist but it was totally worth it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Mar 2008 21:52

Ups and Downs I saw John Oster at the Tesco's in Kings Meadow earlier today. I was over by the newspaper stand and he was just walking out. As he walked out through the doors, I let out a loud "BOOOOOOO!!!!" and then quickly covered my face with a newspaper. Everyone stared at me as if i was a mentalist but it was totally worth it.

You are not cool, funny or clever

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Mar 2008 22:00

Ups and Downs I saw John Oster at the Tesco's in Kings Meadow earlier today. I was over by the newspaper stand and he was just walking out. As he walked out through the doors, I let out a loud "BOOOOOOO!!!!" and then quickly covered my face with a newspaper.
no need

your bollox did the job

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 22 Mar 2008 00:45

Ha ha! So highly strung. I actually had a little chat with him and wished him luck tomorrow. Nice fella and planning a bit of a celebration party by the looks of the amount of booze in his trolley.

Cookie

by Cookie » 22 Mar 2008 01:54

Ups and Downs I saw John Oster at the Tesco's in Kings Meadow earlier today. I was over by the newspaper stand and he was just walking out. As he walked out through the doors, I let out a loud "BOOOOOOO!!!!" and then quickly covered my face with a newspaper. Everyone stared at me as if i was a mentalist but it was totally worth it.

Liar liar pants on fire.

clauski

by clauski » 22 Mar 2008 02:23

I am stunned at the fact some people on here seem to rate Oster so highly (or else just go with what Coppell says)! For me his decision making is poor, he is too hesitant and thus makes the wrong choice too often. For a player who has actually played a lot of games for us I still honestly struggle to think of anything at all of note he has produced other than the pass last week. His "vision" has however resulted in some memorable passes that have gone wholly astray such as vs Everton a few weeks back and costing us a goal minutes after he came on as sub a couple of years ago. Yes, these are just a couple of specific errors and everyone makes mistakes, but where is the good stuff?

International Royal

by International Royal » 22 Mar 2008 04:46

This whole thing is over done. Oster is OK, nothing more nothing less. Some are making out he's too good for his team mates which is utter BS, some are saying he's crap. He's somewhere in the middle and is doing a job but we all know we need better. However as a squad man he's.......err, well.....OK.

What gets me is the whole question of players who are 'too good'. I think RFC can handle such players, but who was the last one we really had? That's a player who's that good that he can do what he wants, not chase back, etc, etc. To be honest in my all my years I've never seen a Reading player in that mould. That certainly includes the likes of Oster, Seol and Caskey (the traffic bollard!). Man U fans even moan about a certain Portugese when he's has a quiet game, even when he's over 30 for the season. It's cultural, we want like working players. Why has Beckham got 99 caps and Hoddle just over half of that, who was the better player?

Interestingly with Marek, this will put this to the test again. He's not fit enough, not robust enough, can't tackle but on the other hand very technical. It will be interesting to see how that develops.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 22 Mar 2008 18:36

i'd love to see this guy do well and prove everyone wrong. time after time i've said to people that he is a class player who just needs an extended run in the team. well once again i've been left disappointed. i'm more than happy to get behind him when he's on the pitch, but between you and me personally i'd like to see his extended run in the team come to a close. stick doyle on the wing seeing as he STILL can't score, who knows he might even score from over there. but oster really is infuriating to watch sometimes and most importantly he gives the ball away in dangerous areas or at dangerous moments.