Prima donnas - Fae & Sonko suspended by club

436 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Prima donnas

by Alan Partridge » 01 May 2008 10:08

Vision Certainly looks as though the Sonko/Fae story is true.

Shame on the pair of them frankly but once again it doesn't necessarily follow that every other scurrilous rumour about bust ups between players and disharmony are all true. Obviously its now a cue for the usual suspects to bang on about Coppell's "lack of man management " skills as if everything he's acheived in football management has been by sheer fluke.

Its the timing that stinks for me though. Even if you're unhappy you knuckle down and support those around you when you're in our situation. Coppell himself has often said that the attitude of those that aren't in the team is as important as those that are. That said, senior players refusing to play reserve games isn't entirely unheard of and doesn't necessarily signal the loss of a dressing room.

The main worry for me is that for a club that has acheived incredible things based on an all round togetherness this is the last thing we need in what is a hugely pressurised situation.

Playing Devil's advocat here, 'all round togetherness' and '3 years of hardly a bad word' Coincided with the team doing well. It's easy when you are winning, everyone is all smiles, can understand if you aren't playing if the team is playing well and getting good results.

A test of a manager is keeping the squad focused and settled when things are going not so well. What with the supposed bust ups and now this there is certainly evidence to suggest that Coppell's man management possibly isn't the greatest, or more than likely the players we have here are just dicks.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 01 May 2008 10:08

Shortbread Really shocked and disappointed about this - not least about Sonks. Wasn't it him who turned up unbidden at the MadStad to wave the rest of to South Korea? I always thought he was the embodiment of the team spirit about the club (and let's hope in these circumstances that he's not!). Really hope that this is some kind of misunderstanding...

Agreed. Feel like he's owed the benefit of the doubt until we have confirmation from the club.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 May 2008 10:14

Funny how this has coincided with Leroy Lita's return. Yeah. It's his fault.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 May 2008 10:15

Alan Partridge Funny how this has coincided with Leroy Lita's return. Yeah. It's his fault.

:lol:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 May 2008 10:19

Alan Partridge
Vision Certainly looks as though the Sonko/Fae story is true.

Shame on the pair of them frankly but once again it doesn't necessarily follow that every other scurrilous rumour about bust ups between players and disharmony are all true. Obviously its now a cue for the usual suspects to bang on about Coppell's "lack of man management " skills as if everything he's acheived in football management has been by sheer fluke.

Its the timing that stinks for me though. Even if you're unhappy you knuckle down and support those around you when you're in our situation. Coppell himself has often said that the attitude of those that aren't in the team is as important as those that are. That said, senior players refusing to play reserve games isn't entirely unheard of and doesn't necessarily signal the loss of a dressing room.

The main worry for me is that for a club that has acheived incredible things based on an all round togetherness this is the last thing we need in what is a hugely pressurised situation.

Playing Devil's advocat here, 'all round togetherness' and '3 years of hardly a bad word' Coincided with the team doing well. It's easy when you are winning, everyone is all smiles, can understand if you aren't playing if the team is playing well and getting good results.

A test of a manager is keeping the squad focused and settled when things are going not so well. What with the supposed bust ups and now this there is certainly evidence to suggest that Coppell's man management possibly isn't the greatest, or more than likely the players we have here are just dicks.

Its not "devils advocate" i actually agree with you. Coppell's downfall this season has been not utilising his squad enough when his preferred choices are not producing. It certainly does lead to those players who dont play having a lot more reason to feel aggrieved.

Having said that if we take this case as an isolated one and lets be honest all the other bust up rumours are just that, runours. Sonko was actually one of those "favoured" players so really i cant see what his gripe is. Fae may have more reason to feel a bit aggrieved but even then i think he's been as much a victim of circumstance as anything else by contracting malaria when he was actually back in the first team squad.

As i said its a far from ideal situation to have within a squad but not entirely unusual. A couple of weeks ago Chelsea were supposedly imploding with dressing room unrest and lack of faith in the manager and now they've beaten Man Utd and reached the Champions League final. Bolton as well, had internal strife with open acts of dissent towards the manager (that from players who were in the 1st team) and stuck in the bottom 3. All of a sudden 7 points out of 9 and they're now fancied to get out of it.

I'm not pretending its a good thing cos it isn't but neither is it indicative of anything other than 2 players acting up.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 May 2008 10:27

Now on the OS

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 01 May 2008 10:32

Sonks' pet seems out of character. I've met him a few times and he has always seemed a really nice guy. I suspect that while he has been sidelined through injury he's spent too much time with Fae, and because they are both French-speaking Fae may have offloaded some of his frustrations on Sonks. Fae must go but if Sonks can recover his form, I would keep him.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 01 May 2008 10:37

Sounds like they need some motivational booing to get them back on track.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 01 May 2008 10:46

Fae can do one anyway he does not want to be here.

Sonks on the other hand has dissappointed me somewhat. We have BK and Cisse now anyway who are more than adequate so he can do one as well.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 May 2008 10:55

I like the Sonks can do one attitude of everyone.

Who we gonna replace him with? As shite as he has been and now it seems there's more to it than fitness issues, he's our only Premiership quality center half. Bikey's getting there, Ivar's passing it and Cisse isn't good enough.

We all know how difficult it is to sign players of Premiership quality, can we let go the few players who are?

Not saying Sonk's should just be forgiven, but we can't just right him off when we can't do any better.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 May 2008 10:57

Royalee I'm praying Coppell goes in the summer, it's the only way this club can go any further forward.

Cheers, that's given me a reet good chuckle this morning :lol:

DrZoidberg

by DrZoidberg » 01 May 2008 10:58

Well in the Championship next season both Duberry and Gunnarsson can certainly do a job at CB, so you can add those two to Bikey, Ingimarsson and Cisse.

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 01 May 2008 10:59

Well done Coppell. Given the recent committment shown by Doyle and Bikey in very difficult circumstances, Sonko and Fae should hang their heads in shame.

If Joe Public refused to follow instructions from their boss at work in a bog standard job, they would be sacked for gross misconduct in a significant proportion of cases.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 May 2008 11:01

ShrewsandRoyals Well done Coppell. Given the recent committment shown by Doyle and Bikey in very difficult circumstances, Sonko and Fae should hang their heads in shame.

If Joe Public refused to follow instructions from their boss at work in a bog standard job, they would be sacked for gross misconduct in a significant proportion of cases.

Although with £2.5m assests it's a little bit more unlikely an employer would do it!

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 01 May 2008 11:04

ShrewsandRoyals Well done Coppell. Given the recent committment shown by Doyle and Bikey in very difficult circumstances, Sonko and Fae should hang their heads in shame.

Damn right. I don’t buy into any of this ‘they’re all mercenaries who don’t know how lucky they are’ bollocks that we throw at every player who’s a bit of his game, but there is a line and they have crossed it.

If they don’t want to play, they can p*ss off. Love to see either of them find another Premiership employer given their form this season.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 May 2008 11:06

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I like the Sonks can do one attitude of everyone.

Who we gonna replace him with? As shite as he has been and now it seems there's more to it than fitness issues, he's our only Premiership quality center half. Bikey's getting there, Ivar's passing it and Cisse isn't good enough.

We all know how difficult it is to sign players of Premiership quality, can we let go the few players who are?

Not saying Sonk's should just be forgiven, but we can't just right him off when we can't do any better.

Whilst i agree to a point , on the evidence ive seen this season Cisse has shown more likely to be "good enough" than Sonko. 1 poor game against Villa (when Sonko was equally culpable) isn't enough for me to dismiss him given he looked pretty decent at centre half in the games prior to that.

To me it depends if Sonko wants to be here. If he does and accepts what he did was wrong then if the manager is convinced and wants to keep him from a playing perspective then he probably deserves a second chance.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 May 2008 11:07

LOL @ Reading

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 01 May 2008 11:14

Many comments on this thread carry a lot of truth about the alleged disharmoney and fall out between players and management, but isnt this synonimous with the position we are in and the so called "prima donnas" all looking for someone else to blame rather than standing and taking a long look in the mirror, we are in this position because "the squad" have failed to perform and whether it is a spat with the manager or with a fellow player this is just the actions of "spoilt brats" who are struggling to come to terms with thier own failings. As for the refusing to play for the reserves, Sonko and Fae are both paid and contracted to play for the club and I doubt if thier contracts say "playing for the reserves is optional", so there is only one course of action that is suitable, both should be put up for offer immediately and never grace the Mad Stad pitch again, you cant have players dictating to the management when and who they play against.

For the managers position, hard one this I have the tendancy to think that SCC wont hang around if he feels that he is being taken for a mug by the players, where as I believe he would never be fired, due to what he has done for this club, I feel he falls into the "I dont need all this" category and might well walk.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 May 2008 11:16

Vision

Whilst i agree to a point , on the evidence ive seen this season Cisse has shown more likely to be "good enough" than Sonko. 1 poor game against Villa (when Sonko was equally culpable) isn't enough for me to dismiss him given he looked pretty decent at centre half in the games prior to that.

To me it depends if Sonko wants to be here. If he does and accepts what he did was wrong then if the manager is convinced and wants to keep him from a playing perspective then he probably deserves a second chance.

I'm really not having Cisse. He could prove me wrong, but he's not good enough on the ball to play in midfield and is way to weak in the air to play center half.

He's a typical center half from Portugal, he's no way near good enough for the Prem, which is why Coppell doesn't play him centre half, despite saying we wouldn't sign a center half in January because of Cisse.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 May 2008 11:20

Vision

I'm really not having Cisse. He could prove me wrong, but he's not good enough on the ball to play in midfield and is way to weak in the air to play center half.

He's a typical center half from Portugal, he's no way near good enough for the Prem, which is why Coppell doesn't play him centre half, despite saying we wouldn't sign a center half in January because of Cisse.

Matter of opinion of course, but he looked as good at centre half in the few games he played prior to Villa as anyone in my opinion. Certainly a cut above anything Sonko has produced this season.

436 posts