Fae gone to Nice

133 posts
Fezza

Re: Fae gone to Nice

by Fezza » 09 Jun 2008 15:53

winchester_royal Can't quite see the point of this.......i thought we had to bring money in to buy players

Free's up wages for a free signing in July

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 09 Jun 2008 15:57

Fezza
winchester_royal Can't quite see the point of this.......i thought we had to bring money in to buy players

And gets rid of a very bad smell from the training ground.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Jun 2008 15:58

ElmParker
Fezza

And gets rid of a very bad smell from the training ground.

Sure, but wouldn't we have been better off waiting for someone to pay a fee?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Jun 2008 16:01

londinium
papereyes BYE!!!

So that's at least our last two record signings who have been flops.

(if you don't want to include Seol or Lita, and they easily could be included)

Would you consider Lita as a flop??? Surely, if sold, he will go for more than we paid too.

I recognise that it could be argued.

Convey, as well, that makes five.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Jun 2008 16:05

papereyes
londinium
papereyes BYE!!!

So that's at least our last two record signings who have been flops.

(if you don't want to include Seol or Lita, and they easily could be included)

Would you consider Lita as a flop??? Surely, if sold, he will go for more than we paid too.

I recognise that it could be argued.

Convey, as well, that makes five.

I fail to see how you can include Lita and Convey as flops......or seol for that matter.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Jun 2008 16:08

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 09 Jun 2008 16:14

Interestin point made in passing about RFC record signings. Since supporting RFC since '83, I have seen the following:

Terry Hurlock: probably more well-known for his time at Millwall & Rangers. Always suspended and didn't he refer to Reading as being 'Mogadon town"

Keith Curle: for me, the only player who has justified the spend. The shining light in a fairly poor team.

Steve Moran: very poor value for the money spent.

Craig Maskell: came good in his final months but his transfer fee nearly put RFC out of business.

Lee Nogan: bright start, great goal in the play-off final, then went to seed.

Darren Caskey: so much talent, yet ultimately wasted

Leroy Lita: flatters to deceieve, no where near as good as he thinks he is.

Seol: ditto Nogan

Fae: never learnt to track back, pleased to see him gone.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 09 Jun 2008 16:15

winchester_royal
ElmParker And gets rid of a very bad smell from the training ground.

Sure, but wouldn't we have been better off waiting for someone to pay a fee?

There's having a disappointing season and then there's playing about twice; slipping behind two centre halves in the midfield pecking order; complaining publically; getting a life threatening disease; refusing to play in the reserves; contributing nothing to a relegated team; and then criticising the club publically.

Now there’s nothing certain in this life and, granted, if we’d held out Real Madrid might have come in with a world record transfer fee, but I’m thinking that Coppell calculating that getting him and his bad attitude out of the club to Nice, who might, for all we know, be the only club in the world who’d want him, might not be the worst decision in recent club history.

So, in answer to your original question: no, I am not sure, but I don’t think it’s a really stupid mistake.
Last edited by ElmParker on 09 Jun 2008 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Jun 2008 16:16

winchester_royal I fail to see how you can include Lita and Convey as flops......or seol for that matter.

Convey - 1 good season, three bad. Yes, injury has had a part to play but that would be letting heart rule head in the argument, wouldn't it?
Lita - decent first season, poor start to second but a very good middle. Absolutely absent when he was needed.
Seol - started well but faded and was moved on in about a year.

Not hard to make those arguments, at all.

If we made a bit of money from the sales - that's merely a pleasant bonus. The point of signing these players was to improve the first team. How many of those three^ could be described as having improved the first team last season? Even the season before, it took injuries to give one his chance while another, for all his merits, didn't convince over the whole season.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing to say that some of our recent transfers have not been great

didn't he refer to Reading as being 'Mogadon town"

:lol:

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 09 Jun 2008 16:18

papereyes If we made a bit of money from the sales - that's merely a pleasant bonus. The point of signing these players was to improve the first team.

Spot on. It doesn't matter to me if a record signing is sold later at a loss. Their job is to take the club up to a new level. A record signing who doesn't but is later sold at a profit is a minor failure, rather than a terrible signing.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 09 Jun 2008 16:38

Gandalf Presley Darren Caskey: so much talent, yet ultimately wasted

Though he pretty much single-handedly kept us from dropping into division 4 in 1999 with 17 or so goals.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 09 Jun 2008 17:23

Thaumagurist*
Thaumagurist* I've just put that through the good old babelfish...

Some French website Emerse Fae lent one year to Nice 09/06/2008 The medium ground of Reading Emerse Fae is lent for one season with option closes d' purchase with l' OGC Nice. Already tracked by l' OGC Nice the season then passed qu' it left several beautiful seasons with the FC Nantes, the course of Fae l' had then led towards First League. After a complicated experiment in the English championship (8 matches the last season), the player s' is engaged with Gym for a loan d' one season, with option d' purchase for the club niçois. Its card Emerse FAE Born on January 24, 1984 in Nantes 1m74 - 71 kg Medium

I've just re-read the translation and I'm absolutely outraged that the frenchies think we played in the Championship last season.

Are you really such a tw@t, or is this a really bad joke? Babel translated Premier League into First League.

Leamington Royal

by Leamington Royal » 09 Jun 2008 17:25

papereyes
winchester_royal I fail to see how you can include Lita and Convey as flops......or seol for that matter.

Convey - 1 good season, three bad. Yes, injury has had a part to play but that would be letting heart rule head in the argument, wouldn't it?

I can see your arguments for others but not Convey. Had more than one long term injury spell. When fit, was fantastic in the championship winning season and a vast improvement on predecessors filling the position - Salako? Mcintyre? I think if SC had been quicker to bring him in for Hunt in the second half of the season we might have avoided the drop.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Jun 2008 18:13

Leamington Royal
papereyes

I can see your arguments for others but not Convey. Had more than one long term injury spell. When fit, was fantastic in the championship winning season and a vast improvement on predecessors filling the position - Salako? Mcintyre? I think if SC had been quicker to bring him in for Hunt in the second half of the season we might have avoided the drop.

I agree. Convey was poor in his first season, but needed to adjust to the English game. After that he was great, until he got injured after the world cup. I've little doubt that a fit convey would have done better in the premiership than Hunt.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 09 Jun 2008 18:43

Thaumagurist* I've just put that through the good old babelfish...

Some French website Emerse Fae lent one year to Nice 09/06/2008 The medium ground of Reading Emerse Fae is lent for one season with option closes d' purchase with l' OGC Nice. Already tracked by l' OGC Nice the season then passed qu' it left several beautiful seasons with the FC Nantes, the course of Fae l' had then led towards First League. After a complicated experiment in the English championship (8 matches the last season), the player s' is engaged with Gym for a loan d' one season, with option d' purchase for the club niçois. Its card Emerse FAE Born on January 24, 1984 in Nantes 1m74 - 71 kg Medium

They relegated us a season early!

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 09 Jun 2008 18:43

papereyes

Seol - started well but faded and was moved on in about a year.

Not hard to make those arguments, at all.

If we made a bit of money from the sales - that's merely a pleasant bonus. The point of signing these players was to improve the first team. How many of those three^ could be described as having improved the first team last season? Even the season before, it took injuries to give one his chance while another, for all his merits, didn't convince over the whole season.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing to say that some of our recent transfers have not been great

The money put into Seol led to us acquiring Liam Rosenior. When he finally started to play regularly at RB the defence was notably better. I think Lita could have made a difference last season with more playing time. Coppell's decision not to play him seemed more based on a personality conflict than on talent. The money on Seol and Lita was well spent. We would not have finished 8th in our first prem season without them. And we may have been in an even worse spot without them last year. You could argue that the money we spent on them could have been better put on someone else. (That could be said of almost any signing). But we could have done even worse and puchased another Fae.

In the end I would agree with you that our recent transfers have not been great. But they haven't been quite as bad as some have suggested either.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 09 Jun 2008 18:47

The only shame is the waste of space didn't drop dead of his malaria.

URZZZZZ

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Jun 2008 18:50

Perhaps Coppell might bother to watch our next potential record signing in person next time.

Cookie

by Cookie » 09 Jun 2008 19:30

floyd__streete Perhaps Coppell might bother to watch our next potential record signing in person next time.

I agree with the sentiment here. Coppell spent a lot of time in Ireland watching Doyle Long and Bennett.
But I would have expected our scouts to do a better job. Fae was scouted for nearly two years. How was that time spent? Did anyone explain the way the English game works, did he bother to listen? Brian McDermot presumably had a french interpreter with him??

I just hope Kebe is better. The scouts went to similar lengths to get him. We'll see!.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 09 Jun 2008 23:02

Gandalf Presley Interestin point made in passing about RFC record signings. Since supporting RFC since '83, I have seen the following:

Terry Hurlock: probably more well-known for his time at Millwall & Rangers. Always suspended and didn't he refer to Reading as being 'Mogadon town"

Keith Curle: for me, the only player who has justified the spend. The shining light in a fairly poor team.

Steve Moran: very poor value for the money spent.

Craig Maskell: came good in his final months but his transfer fee nearly put RFC out of business.

Lee Nogan: bright start, great goal in the play-off final, then went to seed.

Darren Caskey: so much talent, yet ultimately wasted

Leroy Lita: flatters to deceieve, no where near as good as he thinks he is.

Seol: ditto Nogan

Fae: never learnt to track back, pleased to see him gone.

add greg halford to that and his long throws, oh and you might as well throw in carl asaba while you are at it!

133 posts