Predictions

245 posts
Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Predictions

by Thaumagurist* » 16 Jun 2008 15:52

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 15:53

Wycombe Royal
Royalee The fact that we have kept Coppell means that we will begin to decline for the time being, which is something I will not support.

So you will only support success? You are the type of supporter that is loathed up and down this country.

I support working towards success and not giving up. I perceive the fact that we're not sending any scouts to the Euros and saying that we'll 'react' to any business being done in the transfer market rather than being pro-active as being unambitious and not in the best interests of the club. It is for this reason that I am not going, not because we have dropped down a league - I'd happily have renewed if we were taking the right steps to improve as a club, but unfortunately we are not because we have a wimp at the helm.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 15:54

Hoop Blah I predicted a stuttering season suffering from a lack of direction and a squad that seems disaffected by relegation, age and the lose of key personel. We'll lack balance, both in the starting eleven and in the squad as a whole.

Coppell will look tired and disinterested at times, the club will pull out the same old PR to try and make it look like we're showing ambition and building for the future and we'll flirt with the playoff's for most of the season before tailing off after the January transfer window closes.

Coppell will leave, possibly before the season ends, and we'll finish somewhere between 7th and 11th without learning anything new about the youngsters and without really having a go in any of the cups.

It seems pointless to predict so soon, when we don't know what will change between now and August but that's my biggest fear. And, honestly? That looks pretty likely at the moment.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 15:56

im not sure that judging coppell on one year is the correct way to assess whether he is the best/worst man for the job this season

LOl at royalee for having a fit over one of the more innocuous quotes to come out of the mad stad for a good while.

didnt you say it was pointless to predict so soon mr eyes?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 16:02

brendywendy im not sure that judging coppell on one year is the correct way to assess whether he is the best/worst man for the job this season

LOl at royalee for having a fit over one of the more innocuous quotes to come out of the mad stad for a good while.

I did.

I'm afraid that we won't do enough - and on the basis of last season, I think that fear is more than justified.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 16 Jun 2008 16:04

papereyes
brendywendy im not sure that judging coppell on one year is the correct way to assess whether he is the best/worst man for the job this season

I did.

I'm afraid that we won't do enough - and on the basis of last season, I think that fear is more than justified.

What would be enough?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 16 Jun 2008 16:04

Fezza

In fairness SC dithered through the whole of last year stating he "was ready for a break" and that he had let his coaches pick the team because he was "out of ideas". He faffed around the transfer issue in August when he knew Little would be out, Seol would be sold and Oster wasn't up to it.

He then faffed around prior to the January window one week saying he had no faith in the squad and wanted to bring in players and then the next saying he had faith again. You didn't need to be a talented football manager to realise we were short on the right wing and in central midfield, but he didn't deal with the problems.

We got relegated last season because Coppell wasn't up to the job. That said we over achieved in previous years so maybe he's the man to see us up next season. However you can't blame a fan for being so disgusted with the way the team is managed that he won't hand over his hard earned cash until the problem he sees is removed. It's personal choice.

Personally I won't let SC's inept management last term stop me from going this year, but then I've always been an optimist!

There are some decent points raised although i don't necessarily agree with all of them but its that whole "disgusted" overreaction that makes me laugh.

Royalee actually makes some decent points in his post (he usually does to be fair) but as usual it tends to be overshadowed by the sheer nonsense of certain elements in them. He's talking about "progression" yet last season was the first one under Coppell where we actually did worse than previously. Other than that we've done nothing but "progress" since he's been here. 3 seasons of progress (miraculous under the circumstances) followed by 1 of disappointment is enough for him to throw the towel in. The glass ceiling he talks about is 8th in the Premiership. I doubt theres a manager out there who could progress from there with our resources.

EDIT. As for predictions i predict we don't as well as the optimists think, we wont do as badly as the pessimists think and Spacey will still be banging on about his 30 year progress chart at the end of the season.
Last edited by Vision on 16 Jun 2008 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 16:07

papereyes

I did.

i see little difference between that, and on the basis of the season before reckoning we'd have enough to stay up last season

but fair enough

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Jun 2008 16:07

Royalee
Wycombe Royal
Royalee The fact that we have kept Coppell means that we will begin to decline for the time being, which is something I will not support.

So you will only support success? You are the type of supporter that is loathed up and down this country.

I support working towards success and not giving up. I perceive the fact that we're not sending any scouts to the Euros and saying that we'll 'react' to any business being done in the transfer market rather than being pro-active as being unambitious and not in the best interests of the club. It is for this reason that I am not going, not because we have dropped down a league - I'd happily have renewed if we were taking the right steps to improve as a club, but unfortunately we are not because we have a wimp at the helm.

I don't understand why you see us having someone attend Euro 2008 as being so important? I would guess they don't really want any more untried forrigners on the books and that they already have their targets sorted. But as I have said countless times before we still don't know who will be leaving and therefore who we need to replace.

Euro 2008 would be a waste of time (and money) for us but for some reason you think it shows a lack of ambition. I have tried to understand but there is just no logic to it. The only thing that seems logical to me is that you go off and support Derby seeing as they are doing such a great job of things.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 16:08

I'm not basing my opinion on one year. Coppell has got his transfers right in one transfer window throughout his entire reign, which was the summer of 2005. Pretty much EVERY other transfer window he has underperformed. In 2003/4 we underperformed, as we also did in 2004/5. We also had a weaker team than we went up with in 2006/7 and we underperformed last season. Coppell is still living off one good season within his 4 and a half year reign, but everyone remembers the Championship season and he seems untouchable and unquestionable based on just that, which is nothing short of ridiculous.

As for Coppell learning from his mistakes, I'd be tempted to believe the guy if he hadn't already left the Premiership on his previous two visits two the big league looking like a flop. Old habits die hard and all that I guess. People forget that the guy has managed for around two decades and still hasn't learnt these lessons and still looks dumbstruck at having to deal with challenging characters.

I hope he proves me wrong and he makes the changes needed this pre-season (and there are a LOT to be made), but I just can't see it, which is why a fresh face is needed.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 16:14

Royalee

I'm not basing my opinion on one year. Coppell has got his transfers right in one transfer window throughout his entire reign, which was the summer of 2005. Pretty much EVERY other transfer window he has underperformed. In 2003/4 we underperformed, as we also did in 2004/5. We also had a weaker team than we went up with in 2006/7 and we underperformed last season. Coppell is still living off one good season within his 4 and a half year reign, but everyone remembers the Championship season and he seems untouchable and unquestionable based on just that, which is nothing short of ridiculous.

As for Coppell learning from his mistakes, I'd be tempted to believe the guy if he hadn't already left the Premiership on his previous two visits two the big league looking like a flop. Old habits die hard and all that I guess. People forget that the guy has managed for around two decades and still hasn't learnt these lessons and still looks dumbstruck at having to deal with challenging characters.

I hope he proves me wrong and he makes the changes needed this pre-season (and there are a LOT to be made), but I just can't see it, which is why a fresh face is needed.

its fine to have an opinion

its even fine to express that opinion
but yet again, most of whats written is just your over the top opinion dressed as fact

saying one transfer window is a success is just a bit wierd, most of the players we have are coppells, most of them are pretty good, those that are average seem to have over performed for copps-last season apart

hes not untouchable-if we play awful, he looks clueless again, and isnt building a new team ready for the prem then ill be holding the door for him to go-respectfully though and with a pat on th eback, and a rub of his baldy head

by challenging characters do you mean people refusing to play for the club?cos if so, thats just daft
theres only one wasy to get into the team-by playing well when you have the chance and impressing in training-to pretend they did that is laughable
Last edited by brendywendy on 16 Jun 2008 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 16:15

Sarah Star
papereyes

I did.

What would be enough?

Basically, filling in the gaps in the squad with players of either quality, pedigree or real potential. That depends a lot on who we sell - perhaps we'd be better off getting rid of players that want to leave sooner rather than trying to keep hold of them? - but even now, I think a centre-midfield to replace Sidwell is still needed and a right midfielder to replace Little/Seol/Oster/Kebe.

I also want to see the club being pro-active and, as pointing out elsewhere, it is hard to see it as yet. But I'll admit that they probably are working hard and if things do improve, then I'll base my views and predictions on those actions. I still think you haven't quite got their heads around the whole "I'm not being negative, I'm just basing my views on what the club are doing" (see also 'you could just be being negative' 'comeback')

I'm a bit afraid that the club will stumble around for a season and lose any momentum we could have had from being in the Premiership. I'm even more afraid given that the club seemed intent on removing momentum last season ...
Last edited by papereyes on 16 Jun 2008 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 16:16

Wycombe Royal I don't understand why you see us having someone attend Euro 2008 as being so important? I would guess they don't really want any more untried forrigners on the books and that they already have their targets sorted. But as I have said countless times before we still don't know who will be leaving and therefore who we need to replace.

Euro 2008 would be a waste of time (and money) for us but for some reason you think it shows a lack of ambition. I have tried to understand but there is just no logic to it. The only thing that seems logical to me is that you go off and support Derby seeing as they are doing such a great job of things.

It really doesn't matter who's leaving and who's not - even if the squad was to remain the same then it would need a lot of strengthening for us to come back up. We already know that we need a new left back as Shorey's leaving, a good defensive midfielder to partner Matejovsky and a winger either side most probably given Convey and Little's injury problems. If we already have our targets identified then why is there no news? What's stopping the club from doing business now, or is there some unwritten rule about the way Coppell has to do his business?

Who says that Euro 2008 would be a waste of time for us? The Swiss pulled off a decent win last night and there will be one or two decent players available from the weaker teams at a decent price (like Matejovsky for example). It costs a fraction of Stephen Hunt's weekly wage to send a scout out to the tournament, so your money argument is nothing short of laughable. Do you honestly believe that Bristol City have more money than us and are taking point in a pointless exercise by sending scouts out there? I'm pretty sure they and Derby aren't the only Championship clubs with an interest in the tournament either.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 16:17

brendywendy
papereyes

I did.

i see little difference between that, and on the basis of the season before reckoning we'd have enough to stay up last season

But that ignored a whole series of facts, key one being that replacing our best midfielder with our third choice midfielder was never, ever, EVER going to be a smart move.

If you want to base your opinion on ignorance, go for it.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 16:23

Royalee I'm not basing my opinion on one year. Coppell has got his transfers right in one transfer window throughout his entire reign, which was the summer of 2005. Pretty much EVERY other transfer window he has underperformed..

Do you genuinely not understand what Coppell was doing when he assembled the Championship winning team ?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 16:24

Roger the Rabbit
Royalee I'm not basing my opinion on one year. Coppell has got his transfers right in one transfer window throughout his entire reign, which was the summer of 2005. Pretty much EVERY other transfer window he has underperformed..

Do you genuinely not understand what Coppell was doing when he assembled the Championship winning team ?

Is that why he signed Keown and Ferdinand when he did?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 16:25

Roger the Rabbit

You're going to tell me he planned all his shit signings before like Brooker, Owusu, Morgan, Ferdinand and Keown aren't you? :lol:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Jun 2008 16:25

Royalee If we already have our targets identified then why is there no news?

You claim to be a supporter of this club and yet you need to ask that question.

Any credibility that your opinions had has long gone with me, so I'm out.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 16:27

papereyes
Roger the Rabbit

Is that why he signed Keown and Ferdinand when he did?

but they were two massive names-with masses of experience-who were not that far over the hill
just having players of that quality raised our profile no end, and could have been enough to see us up
it didnt work,but thats with hindsight-and you still shouldnt just ignore why it was done etc

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 16:31

Why do you hate the club I love?

245 posts