Hob Nob Regular

Re: Whats the best combination?

by kwik-silva » 19 Aug 2008 13:48

Big Foot S.Hunt & N.Hunt together up front

Who'd fill in at left back?!

Jank

by Jank » 19 Aug 2008 13:53

Out of what we have to choose from atm. Doyle and Lita is our strongest combo. Lita is a natural goal scorer and has shown for two out of 3 seasons (not including this season) that he can score a lot of goals, even at the top level at venues such as Stamford Bridge, and poses the biggest threat out of all our strikers. Doyle is probably the best player in the squad when it comes to attacking, he is just off form and once he finds his form he will, without a doubt be the best striker in this league (including Kevin Phillips). Shane Long is not near good enough to be first choice in a squad as strong as ours and i hope would not be considered to be started infront of Lita or Doyle, although can be very effective as a late sub against tired defences. I have not seen enough of N. Hunt to judge but he will need to prove he can cut it at this level (rather than against dagenham & redbridge, and in meaningless pre-season friendlies) through substitute appearances.

Having said this...i feel that letting Kitson, the only striker that is taller than 6ft. go was a huge mistake, especially seeing as we replaced him with somebody who is shorter than Lita, Doyle and Long. We need a striker who is big, strong and that can hold the ball up, with a proven calibre at this level or higher. I think that Shola Ameobi could be a good addition if we could make a last minute swoop and take him from Ipswich.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Aug 2008 13:55

Doyle and Lita is our strongest combo

I don't think it necessarily is.

It may be our strongest two forwards but that does not necessarily mean we will get the best performances from the pair.

Jank

by Jank » 19 Aug 2008 13:55

Big Foot S.Hunt & N.Hunt together up front

And i would rather see John Madejski and Cilla Black play with eachother than those two.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 19 Aug 2008 13:55

Lita and Mooney :?

Jank

by Jank » 19 Aug 2008 13:59

papereyes

It may be our strongest two forwards but that does not necessarily mean we will get the best performances from the pair.

Maybe so but were not going to get good performances from any combo of our current crop because they all pose the same threat. So until we get a big hold up player, i would think that our two strongest strikers would be the best option.

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 19 Aug 2008 14:07

instead of rotating 3 strikers like in the past maybe we should have 2 sets of strikers and rotate them

week one doyle - lita
week two doyle - n.hunt
week three lita n. hunt
ect....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 19 Aug 2008 14:10

Kieron1981 instead of rotating 3 strikers like in the past maybe we should have 2 sets of strikers and rotate them

week one doyle - lita
week two doyle - n.hunt
week three lita n. hunt
ect....

How about having a pool of strikers of different attributes and abilities and using the players suitable for the team we're facing?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Aug 2008 14:11

Jank
papereyes

Maybe so but were not going to get good performances from any combo of our current crop because they all pose the same threat. So until we get a big hold up player, i would think that our two strongest strikers would be the best option.

i kind of agree

but im sure there are example of very successful football teams in the not too distant past that have succeeded with strikers who are all short

big man small man is preferred by some-
but not all

Jank

by Jank » 19 Aug 2008 14:13

Kieron1981 instead of rotating 3 strikers like in the past maybe we should have 2 sets of strikers and rotate them

week one doyle - lita
week two doyle - n.hunt
week three lita n. hunt
ect....

You dont get anywhere by rotating your team.

The best thing to do is find your strongest team and roll with that until a string of poor performances come along or injuries/suspensions intervene. And we have won 1 and drawn 1 so stick with what we know which is currently Doyle and Lita.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 19 Aug 2008 14:21

Jank

week one doyle - lita
week two doyle - n.hunt
week three lita n. hunt
ect....

You dont get anywhere by rotating your team.

The best thing to do is find your strongest team and roll with that until a string of poor performances come along or injuries/suspensions intervene. And we have won 1 and drawn 1 so stick with what we know which is currently Doyle and Lita.

I like the idea of using the attributes though, mentioned a couple of posts ago, but our strikers are all the same!

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 19 Aug 2008 14:32

papereyes

week one doyle - lita
week two doyle - n.hunt
week three lita n. hunt
ect....

How about having a pool of strikers of different attributes and abilities and using the players suitable for the team we're facing?

yeah this sounds like the best way.... Slow large defenders use Lita and Long for added pace and play a though ball game and so on

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Aug 2008 14:33

Jank Out of what we have to choose from atm. Doyle and Lita is our strongest combo. Lita is a natural goal scorer and has shown for two out of 3 seasons (not including this season) that he can score a lot of goals, even at the top level at venues such as Stamford Bridge, and poses the biggest threat out of all our strikers.
:shock:

Lita scored 8 goals in the Premiership but was so poor last season that he was sent out on loan.............................some would say this makes him less dangerous than the rest.

As things stand, Lita has done nothing to justify being selected ahead of Long or Hunt.

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 19 Aug 2008 14:40

Woodcote Royal
Jank Out of what we have to choose from atm. Doyle and Lita is our strongest combo. Lita is a natural goal scorer and has shown for two out of 3 seasons (not including this season) that he can score a lot of goals, even at the top level at venues such as Stamford Bridge, and poses the biggest threat out of all our strikers.

Lita scored 8 goals in the Premiership but was so poor last season that he was sent out on loan.............................some would say this makes him less dangerous than the rest.

As things stand, Lita has done nothing to justify being selected ahead of Long or Hunt.

But at the same time he is the mopst hungry player in the squad. He is the only one with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 19 Aug 2008 15:10

:|

Sorry but other than a 6 week spell from boxing day to the first day of Feb in our first season where he was fantastic, Lita scored 2 goals in 38 Premiership games. His record in the Premiership really wasn't great.

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 19 Aug 2008 15:28

papereyes :|

Sorry but other than a 6 week spell from boxing day to the first day of Feb in our first season where he was fantastic, Lita scored 2 goals in 38 Premiership games. His record in the Premiership really wasn't great.

but were not in the premiership.... its a different ball game now (pardon the pun)

we havent got to worry about would class defences every week.... Lita is proven at championship level

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 19 Aug 2008 15:32

Kieron1981
Woodcote Royal

But at the same time he is the mopst hungry player in the squad. He is the only one with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove

...as opposed to Long wanting to get off the bench and prove he's more than a supersub, or Noel Hunt wanting to prove he can score in the English Championship as well as in the SPL.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 19 Aug 2008 15:32

I have slight doubts as to how good he will be this season.

With plenty of chances, we will see enough goals. What happens if we're not as creative as we were last time round? I think that is my main worry.

At least Doyle's work rate will make up for it and NHunt seems to have a knack of making chances in a Paul Dickov - stylee.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 19 Aug 2008 15:37

Kieron1981
papereyes :|

but were not in the premiership.... its a different ball game now (pardon the pun)

we havent got to worry about would class defences every week.... Lita is proven at championship level

All our strikers are (Except N. Hunt)

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 19 Aug 2008 15:38

well at least we have 3 players trying to fight for the same place... and doyle who is proven (although had a mare on saturdays game)

and from what i see / read we are looking to get another striker in from cork (they must hate us), but not sure how much of it is true