£23 million In ... £1.4 million Spent

252 posts
Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: £23 million In ... £1.4 million Spent

by Thaumagurist* » 29 Aug 2008 16:41

REALROYAL PLZ BUY READING F.C RICKY GERVAIS

Why? He's not as rich as John Madejski and he's not a football man either. :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Aug 2008 16:42

Royal Rother
bigmike I cant believe you guys are being taken in by the troll that is SDR :lol:

At least we know he's in it for a bit of a laugh.

What excuse do Royal Blue and all the others have?

Quite happy to add my long held views on Ego Madejski to SDR's thread no matter what his motivation in starting the thread was thanks very much.

The likes of Strap and I began questioning JM's purely 'philanthropical motivation' many, many years ago. We were mocked then and I certainly don't care about being mocked again. However, it is heartening to see that an increasing number in the crowd are beginning to question the fabric of the Emperor's clothes.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Aug 2008 16:46

RoyalBlue
Royal Rother
bigmike I cant believe you guys are being taken in by the troll that is SDR :lol:

At least we know he's in it for a bit of a laugh.

What excuse do Royal Blue and all the others have?

Quite happy to add my long held views on Ego Madejski to SDR's thread no matter what his motivation in starting the thread was thanks very much.

The likes of Strap and I began questioning JM's purely 'philanthropical motivation' many, many years ago. We were mocked then and I certainly don't care about being mocked again. However, it is heartening to see that an increasing number in the crowd are beginning to question the fabric of the Emperor's clothes.

I for one am not questioning anything. He has pretty much done everything for this club that he said he would and this club has had by far it's most successful ever period in its history under hios ownership. He owes us nothing, and I don't care what personal gain he has made during the last 17 years as in my view he is entitled to it.

He has admitted that he can't really take us any further than he has done atready hence his comments about finding a billionnaire to buy the club from him.

REALROYAL

by REALROYAL » 29 Aug 2008 16:50

Thaumagurist*
REALROYAL PLZ BUY READING F.C RICKY GERVAIS

Why? He's not as rich as John Madejski and he's not a football man either. :roll:

That was a joke. but to be fair to him he,s got to be more of a football man than Mr Ego

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 29 Aug 2008 16:51

This is mental.

I thought all the issues regarding why we arent spending/why isn't John Madejski selling the club were resolved soon after his BBC Berks interview post Plymouth match.

A few points for those that missed that particular thread or are just well . . stupid? and are posting the same irrelevant remarks again.

JM has always said he does not want to simply bankroll the club he wants to make it self sufficient so it could survive without a wealthy financier. He has also said should someone who is prepared to provide substantial financial backing from their own pocket for the manager want to buy the club they are welcome to. Unfortunately these multi billionaire football fans are few and far between and we are hardly the most attractive club to buy anyway. So stop making remarks like "its time for JM to sell up" you are just embarrasing yourself.

Why aren't we spending all the money we are generating from selling our players? Two pretty obvious reasons. Firstly some of the money is going to be required to help balance the books and pay for the wages that are no longer being paid for by vast sums of tv money and full houses every week.

Secondly, be a bit bloody realistic here. If someone is going to cost anything more than a million quid it would be reasonable to think they are going to be pretty damn good at football and therefore will surely choose to play in the Premiership rather than at Reading (remember we are in the Championship now). Believe it or not there aren't hordes of players, better than the players already playing at the club, that are dying to play for a club in the Championship.

All these people that are looking for a big money transfer need to wake up and smell the roses, they rarely happen in the Championship and when they do they don't always guarentee promotion, more often than not they condem the club to future financial turmoil. On top of that the club have strengthened with Armstrong, Hunt and Mooney and just because they didn't cost lots of money and aren't established Premiership players doesn't mean they won't be what we need to get us out of this division.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 29 Aug 2008 16:53

I fail to see where the "long term" business strategy is, when we sell our better players and replace them with players of a lesser quality.

I can see the short terms gains, and that arguement would stack up IF the replacements prove good enough to get the club back to where JM claims he wants us to be.

However, if we do not go back up before the parachute money stops, we will really be worse off, i mean, if we are as skint as he says, we are in the doo doo in two seasons time.

Of course, if the Mooney's and Armstrong's of this world prove to be the next Kitson/Shorey etc, then the club have got it spot on, but I have my doubts that we can keep finding "hidden gems/under the radar players".

Come May, the two camps on here will have their answer, the camp who think JM current strategy is correct, and the camp who think our current route is flawed.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 29 Aug 2008 16:58

voice of reason some good stuff

Hurrah! Well written, it's about time somebody said this, I hope people will have the patience to read your post and realise the truth rather than be "I want it all now!!!!!!! Now!!!!"

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

by Sir Dodger Royal » 29 Aug 2008 17:31

Emmmm
SDR is talking about this years funding not the loot extracted over the past two years.

Stoke have spent £13 pre season which is more than we have spent in the last FIVE years.

Time will tell whether their strategy works but at least they are giving it a go not like the tight fisted old **** currently running Reading FC.

He makes Doug Ellis look like the Governor of the Bank of England.

If he walks on the pitch tomorrow waving his arms like a deranged Monkey he is likely to get one of Dodgers Big Bananas up hi s****.

That should put a smile on his face.

Get real we are in decline and I mean declineeeeeeeeeee
SDR

Streets

by Streets » 29 Aug 2008 17:36

voice of reason This is mental.

I thought all the issues regarding why we arent spending/why isn't John Madejski selling the club were resolved soon after his BBC Berks interview post Plymouth match.

A few points for those that missed that particular thread or are just well . . stupid? and are posting the same irrelevant remarks again.

JM has always said he does not want to simply bankroll the club he wants to make it self sufficient so it could survive without a wealthy financier. He has also said should someone who is prepared to provide substantial financial backing from their own pocket for the manager want to buy the club they are welcome to. Unfortunately these multi billionaire football fans are few and far between and we are hardly the most attractive club to buy anyway. So stop making remarks like "its time for JM to sell up" you are just embarrasing yourself.

Why aren't we spending all the money we are generating from selling our players? Two pretty obvious reasons. Firstly some of the money is going to be required to help balance the books and pay for the wages that are no longer being paid for by vast sums of tv money and full houses every week.

Secondly, be a bit bloody realistic here. If someone is going to cost anything more than a million quid it would be reasonable to think they are going to be pretty damn good at football and therefore will surely choose to play in the Premiership rather than at Reading (remember we are in the Championship now). Believe it or not there aren't hordes of players, better than the players already playing at the club, that are dying to play for a club in the Championship.

All these people that are looking for a big money transfer need to wake up and smell the roses, they rarely happen in the Championship and when they do they don't always guarentee promotion, more often than not they condem the club to future financial turmoil. On top of that the club have strengthened with Armstrong, Hunt and Mooney and just because they didn't cost lots of money and aren't established Premiership players doesn't mean they won't be what we need to get us out of this division.

I lost interest at "Madejski wants this club to be self sufficient".

It's a load of cock!

Unless you are a top four club, you will not be able to profit AND provide a manager with sufficient funds to build a successful team. We would be back in League 1 in no time at all.

Madejski is taking us backwards. Why? We don't know but we are going backwards and there seems very little effort on his part to take us forwards once again.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 29 Aug 2008 17:43

Streets

That's probably why your response was so crap.

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 29 Aug 2008 17:45

Streets

It's a load of cock!

Unless you are a top four club, you will not be able to profit AND provide a manager with sufficient funds to build a successful team. We would be back in League 1 in no time at all.

Madejski is taking us backwards. Why? We don't know but we are going backwards and there seems very little effort on his part to take us forwards once again.

Your a load of cock! You actually make no sense. What are the alternatives? He isn't going to give us the money, nor is anyone else apparently willing? Therefore his only option is to give the club the ability to generate its own cash.

What if we spend shed loads of his cash on players that then don't perform and we get relegated anyway? Who will pay for their wages then? That is how we will be in league 2 before you know it with heafty points deductions.

In our first season in the Premiership we managed to make a 5 million quid profit. Was that season not successfull enough for you? We then wen't and spent the money we had generated on players e.g. Fay. That worked well didn't it? Just because Roy Keane at Sunderland can attract established quality players does not mean we have the same ability. Spending money does also not guarentee success! JM sanctioned modest amounts of money to be available for Mooney, Armstrong and Hunt. Just because they didn't have a big price tag does not mean we are going backwards. Who do you suggest we buy?
Last edited by voice of reason on 29 Aug 2008 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Aug 2008 17:46

Streets

It's a load of cock!

steets-you change your tune more often than a whurlitzer

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 29 Aug 2008 17:47

I can't believe Jay wrote that codswallop. It's not about competing with the big 4, it's about trying to be solvent.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Aug 2008 17:53

So if a new owner came in and said "Steve, here's £10m go and spend it." What do you think would happen?

The same if JM said to Coppell, "Steve, you've got £5m from the Kitson deal, go and spend it."

How do we know JM hasn't made the money avaliable, when we know Coppell won't spend it?
Last edited by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe on 29 Aug 2008 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 29 Aug 2008 17:54

The plastics are now making themselves apparent by being shocked by any of this

lol

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 29 Aug 2008 18:20

i dont know why we are moaning Coppell cant sign expensive players anyway.

Halford, Seol, Fae, etc. Even Lita, a biggish money signing falls out with him.

Coppell gets more out of inexpensive players with small ego's, and as soon as they get an ego he sells them.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 29 Aug 2008 18:21

SCIAG You bit :roll: .

SDR, can you go back to being Thou Voice?

Hey!!!!

Leave me out of this...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Aug 2008 18:27

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe So if a new owner came in and said "Steve, here's £10m go and spend it." What do you think would happen?

The same if JM said to Coppell, "Steve, you've got £5m from the Kitson deal, go and spend it."

How do we know JM hasn't made the money avaliable, when we know Coppell won't spend it?

How do we know Madejski has made a realistic wage structure available, particularly in the light of his recent pronouncements on footballer's wages?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Aug 2008 18:34

We didn't get a team full of multi-million pound players by buying players who cost multiple millions of pounds.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 29 Aug 2008 18:38

brendywendy
Kes In the words of JM - Reading lost £22million by getting relegated. How can you lose what you didn't have in the first place?

income and outgoings on a yearly basis, make the foundation of any financial review and planning
you base it on what you had coming in, and going out last year
if that income suddenly reduces by 22 million, you need to balance your outgoings accordingly.
:roll:

So why have we been fed lies from the club regarding having to sell before we can buy.
When the feck will you wake up and smell the roses........ that's if the chairman hasn't sold them as well.
:roll:

252 posts