" Young Guns "

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: " Young Guns "

by papereyes » 01 Sep 2008 15:40

brendywendy not sure putting man, in front of manage cahnges the statement much either

If it had shut you up, then it would have achieved something ...

[/quote]
i agree its "easier"
but doesnt refute my statement that a whole host of other managers hadnt managed to "man manage" the best out of them, till they came here[/quote]

But half of the squad had been youth players before they came here (Shorey, Sidwell, Harper to start) or got their first big chance here (Doyle, arguably Kitson and Sonko)? This however is all an aside because that is certainly not what you were saying with:

many other managers will have failed to manage these players well enough though
since we got them in on a free or <500k transfer fee
yet SC manages them into 106 points, and 8th place

which appeared to be a more general point, as you were using a conditional/future tense rather than the more specific past tense which you used in your second post.

Your first post certainly did not state or even suggest that other managers hadn't got the best out of them so I'm not sure how my post could have refuted that statement.

if it was that easy, surely everyone would be doing it

Most clubs who are operating under some level of financial constraint, are doing it. The most succesful side of the 90s worked on that principle - young players that wanted it backed by a few old heads who calmed things down and had the experience to help their younger team mates through (note also that once United had won it all, they found it hard to motivate themselves to higher levels afterwards ... rather like the second season syndrome that surviving promoted clubs get, isn't it?). I think, to some extent, you always have to mitigate the risk of a younger player not pushing on as you'd like by supplementing it with proven talent and experience.

YOU NEVER WIN ANYTHING WITH KIDS

Ironically, that United side wouldn't have. Remember the key, experienced player they were missing at the start of that season ...