Reading slam meddling agents...

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Reading slam meddling agents...

by Uke » 05 Sep 2008 20:12

Stooper
Hampshire Royal That's interesting, but how does it work in practice?

20 players on 25,000pa = 500,000. How big are the squads if 1,100,000 is shared out among the rest with none of them earning as much as 25,000pa?

Well you can't go over 20 players on that much, but £25k is a pretty standard figure for your average SL player. Scott Hill at Harlequins RL is reportedly on 100k a year, Matt King at Warrington on 150k so as long as you've got a few lower earners in your first 25, you can bring in the bigger players.

In theory you could just have a squad of 20 players earning 80k pa

How do win bonuses come into this equation?

Do they come oput of the salary pot or is it posible to haveeveryone 'commission based' (ironically just like the loathesome footie agents!)

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 08 Sep 2008 22:09

Uke
Stooper
Hampshire Royal That's interesting, but how does it work in practice?

20 players on 25,000pa = 500,000. How big are the squads if 1,100,000 is shared out among the rest with none of them earning as much as 25,000pa?

Well you can't go over 20 players on that much, but £25k is a pretty standard figure for your average SL player. Scott Hill at Harlequins RL is reportedly on 100k a year, Matt King at Warrington on 150k so as long as you've got a few lower earners in your first 25, you can bring in the bigger players.

In theory you could just have a squad of 20 players earning 80k pa

How do win bonuses come into this equation?

Do they come oput of the salary pot or is it posible to haveeveryone 'commission based' (ironically just like the loathesome footie agents!)

Not too sure if I'm perfectly honest, it's not something the RFL have publicised. I would assume that it's agreed pre-season on a pro-rata basis and either comes directly out of the clubs coffers or would come under the £1.6m salary cap

But I couldn't say with any degree of certainty.

I do think football needs to be more governed and 'capped' otherwise the bubble will burst.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Sep 2008 22:47

Imagine this in Footie! from 2003

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 712793.stm

Leigh players will be paid in win bonuses only this season as they seek promotion to Super League.
"The players wanted to back themselves to win games," said coach Paul Terzis.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Sep 2008 18:54

FiNeRaIn Good article and words from coppell. That is something I REALLY agree with. Agents are scum and need to suffer repercussion's or a rulebook to abide by. They are money grabbing twats who brainwash players( who have very little mental capacity like hunt) and cause them to be unhappy and look to move.

Shame then that clubs abused their position as employers thus forcing professional footballers to go down the road of employing agents. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like what some agents are alleged to do. However, you can't blame the players as the vast majority generally struggle to string together enough words to make a coherent sentence, hence their need to get someone to do the thinking on their behalf.