Not at all
38%

Total votes: 210
T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Re: Return of Leroy Lita?

by T.R.O.L.I. » 22 Oct 2008 14:41

AlexY25 Norwich have 2 more games in october, it all depends on how he does, next game for them is at home to doncaster, see how many he scores in comparison to us last night :wink:

They have a game on 1st november, which is when his deal ends, does anyone know if he can play in that one?

Yes - as I posted on the orignal thread containing confirmation of his loan:

BBC Sport on 01/10/08 The deal for the 23-year-old covers six games up to the fixture against Burnley on 1 November.

The six games being on 04/10, 18/10, 21/10, 25/10, 28/10 and 01/11.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 22 Oct 2008 14:44

T.R.O.L.I.
AlexY25 Norwich have 2 more games in october, it all depends on how he does, next game for them is at home to doncaster, see how many he scores in comparison to us last night :wink:

They have a game on 1st november, which is when his deal ends, does anyone know if he can play in that one?

Yes - as I posted on the orignal thread containing confirmation of his loan:

BBC Sport on 01/10/08 The deal for the 23-year-old covers six games up to the fixture against Burnley on 1 November.

The six games being on 04/10, 18/10, 21/10, 25/10, 28/10 and 01/11.

Hes got 3 more games yet before....he'll probably end up with his loan extended for another month or so, but i'll be keeping an eye on the norwich games as well as the wolves and brum scores, at games now :D

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 22 Oct 2008 14:52

Oh Jesus Christ, is 'not at all' really the most popular choice so far? :cry:

Somebody please give me a convincing reason why Long > Lita.

'Rumoured attitude problems' don't count.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 22 Oct 2008 14:53

Lita is better than Long, but Longs attitude is much better than Lita's.

Lita is actually trying now he has to prove himself again, and low and behold he deliveres, like we all knew he could. Sell him at first oppertunity, and bleed Mooney before we reach the premiership, otherwise Mooney will struggle to get any action al la our wee lads last season.

Relegation was the best thing that ever happened to Karacan, Henry, Kelly and Pearce. Get bloody Mooney in there before its too late!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 Oct 2008 14:56

skipper Lita is actually trying now he has to prove himself again, and low and behold he deliveres, like we all knew he could. Sell him at first oppertunity, and bleed Mooney before we reach the premiership,

AWFUL!

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 22 Oct 2008 14:57

skipper Lita is better than Long, but Longs attitude is much better than Lita's.

What is this based on? Long is the one who put in a level of effort against Fulham that any professional footballer should've been ashamed of, the one who threw his shirt down in a sulk at Liverpool. People said similar things last year about Lita's attitude being the problem and then it turned out that Kitson was the one causing the problems. Does anyone have any proof that he has a bad attitude/is lazy/is disruptive? I've never seen any except for wild speculation passing as informed comment.

Even if he does 'have a bad attitude' I'd think the effect of that would be less than his contribution to the team. He couldn't really contribute much less than Long.

jack_symmons

by jack_symmons » 22 Oct 2008 14:58

chances are coppell will bring back Lita and wont play him and stick with that waste of space Long

now Lita has proved he can play at this level by scoring 3 against top of the league

give him a couple of games and if he scores a few give him a chance...if he flops let him go...simple as that :D

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Oct 2008 14:59

earleyroyal Oh Jesus Christ, is 'not at all' really the most popular choice so far? :cry:

long is taller, faster, stronger, scored more goals

LOL at the attitude problems which apparently dont count though!
you can ignore the recent bollox about fights amongst the squad etc
but much of his attitude troubles are on record.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 Oct 2008 15:01

brendywendy but much of his attitude troubles are on record.

Are they? :|

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Oct 2008 15:03

brendywendy
earleyroyal Oh Jesus Christ, is 'not at all' really the most popular choice so far? :cry:

Eh :?:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 22 Oct 2008 15:10

My perception of Lita is that his decent goal-scoring spells for us have generally come when he's been the "main man" so to speak.

There was the initial period when he first signed (unlike most of our record signings the price tag seemed to help rather than hinder him) and that spell after Doyle got injured in our 1st Premiership season and Kitson returning from injury. His scoring record in the cup is very good as well , which given Coppell's selection policy would generally mean he would be playing alongside the 4th choice striker (Long) once again indicating that with some responsibility he generally produces his best. His England U-21 record during a major European tournament perhaps a further indication of this as would the fact that he scored goals for us at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford and Anfield. With that in mind it would come as little surprise to me that he would go out on loan , be made a fuss of, and then deliver with a few goals.

Basically he needs his ego massaged on a regular basis in order to produce his best and Coppell simply isn't the manager to do this. If there is any friction between the 2 then i'd guess this would be the reason for it rather than any overt attitude issues from Lita himself. From a talent perspective he should still have an awful lot to offer but I just don't think we're the right club to really get the best out of him.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 22 Oct 2008 15:18

Schards#2
brendywendy

scored more goals

Agreed :lol:

Total appearances and goals (all competitions):

Lita - 69 (23) appearances, 31 goals
Long - 32 (53) appearances, 12 goals
Last edited by T.R.O.L.I. on 22 Oct 2008 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 22 Oct 2008 15:18

Wycombe Royal but it doesn't take even a child to work out from all the various media reports (interviews with Coppell, interviews with others, news stories and all the rumours) that he does have an attitude issue and that Coppell doesn't particularly like it.

You find me a single quote from Coppell regarding having a problem with Lita and his attitude. There hasn't been one.

Regarding Lita's loan to Charlton:
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1258801,00.html

And more recently his move to Norwich
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1409523,00.html

And finally in face, Coppell himself quoted in The Evening Post:
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2036487_loan_can_relight_leroy

And I quote "Coppell insists there has been no bust-up involving Lita, adding: “He’s not in the team at the moment, but it would be wrong to suggest that’s it for him at Reading. His attitude has been good.”

So in fact, I cant find anything regarding his "bad attitude" and in fact a quote suggesting the opposite. So I will get off my high horse when people stop judging a man they do not know, when their opinion is based on nothing more on internet rumour and speculation, and often write sanctimonious tripe (not saying WR in this instance) about the perceived manner in which he behaves.

Back to my original point - Lita was not playing as he had lost his confidence and was not very good. Hopefully the first is being repaired now and he will come back good. And I for one would welcome him back into the first team immediately.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Oct 2008 15:19

Schards#2
brendywendy

Last season, for us, Long scored around 5 or 6 in all comps. I think Leroy scored 2 (one of which was against relegated and demoralised Derby, the other against a League 1 or Championship team in the CC).

Lita offers nothing but goals. He does not offer many more goals (if any) than Long. Lita needs several chances to score. Long hasn't been at his most clinical recently, but there was a period when he was scoring with every other shot or something like that.

Long is better in the air.

Long is quicker.

Long is stronger.

Long plays better with Doyle.

Long is harder working.

And LOL at AP. Criticised others for praising Simon Church on the back of 2 performances, and now praises Lita after 1 good performance for about 15 months. :lol:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Oct 2008 15:20

Schards#2
brendywendy

Long has scored more league goals for Reading in the last 18 months. Over this period Long has played 9 plus 31 sub appearances and scored 4 whereas Lita has played 13 plus 4 sub appearances and scored 1.

As Steve Coppell usually makes late substitutions many of Long's many sub appearances were very short but even if we say that each sub appearance is the equivalent to a third of a game (30 minutes) then Long's scores goals at a much faster rate for Reading than Lita (4 goals from 19.33 games as compared to 1 goal from 14.33 games). Forget Lita scoring for Charlton last season as they were Championship appearances and Long was playing in the PL so only Reading appearances are relevant as a fair comparison.
Last edited by andrew1957 on 22 Oct 2008 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Oct 2008 15:22

Thaumagurist*
brendywendy but much of his attitude troubles are on record.

Are they? :|

in terms of he definately got glassed in a club, and definitely got thrown out of a club for fighting on another occasion, and definitely made a phone sex video

i love the guy, but im just saying, he is cocky, arrogant, gets up peoples noses, and has a questionable personal life.
we cant really argue with that

IMO id like to see him back on teh bench, as this is how i voted
but i can see why many dont.
Last edited by brendywendy on 22 Oct 2008 15:26, edited 2 times in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Oct 2008 15:22

Schards#2
brendywendy

i meant recently, for us. and you know it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Oct 2008 15:23

Yorkshire Royal
Wycombe Royal but it doesn't take even a child to work out from all the various media reports (interviews with Coppell, interviews with others, news stories and all the rumours) that he does have an attitude issue and that Coppell doesn't particularly like it.

You find me a single quote from Coppell regarding having a problem with Lita and his attitude. There hasn't been one.

Regarding Lita's loan to Charlton:
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1258801,00.html

And more recently his move to Norwich
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1409523,00.html

And finally in face, Coppell himself quoted in The Evening Post:
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2036487_loan_can_relight_leroy

And I quote "Coppell insists there has been no bust-up involving Lita, adding: “He’s not in the team at the moment, but it would be wrong to suggest that’s it for him at Reading. His attitude has been good.”

So in fact, I cant find anything regarding his "bad attitude" and in fact a quote suggesting the opposite. So I will get off my high horse when people stop judging a man they do not know, when their opinion is based on nothing more on internet rumour and speculation, and often write sanctimonious tripe (not saying WR in this instance) about the perceived manner in which he behaves.

Back to my original point - Lita was not playing as he had lost his confidence and was not very good. Hopefully the first is being repaired now and he will come back good. And I for one would welcome him back into the first team immediately.

And people have criticised me for believing everything that comes out of this club. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone knows that he has an attitude problem except you it seems. I notice you left out the comments from Coppell when Leroy got in trouble in Bristol and some of the other incidents he has been involved with off the pitch.

chandog

by chandog » 22 Oct 2008 15:23

i would like to see him back on the bench
i have always believed that lita is a better option than long who has been ineffective this season
long should be loaned out imo so he can get some first team football and we can begin to see how good he really is

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Oct 2008 15:25

As cr@p as Long has been at times, he's done more for this club in the last 18 months than the next to useless Lita.

In many ways, the fact that Lita can do it for other clubs and not us just strengthens claims that it's time for him to move on...................and Long will follow him out of the door unless he starts to produce the desired level of performance very soon.

In the mean time, Long is still the better sub and the more Leroy scores for those carrot crunchers the more we're likely to get for him in January.

Only those who think the sun shines out of Leroy's backside would want to see Hunt or Doyle dropped to make way for him so what woud be the point of recalling him at the moment? He's better off where he is.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 22 Oct 2008 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

265 posts