Back from the QPR game

139 posts
SHORT AND CURLY

Re: Back from the game

by SHORT AND CURLY » 25 Oct 2008 21:58

The four starting midfielders today were totally out of it.
S Hunt and Kebe failed to beat their full backs and Karacan and Boris were awful, frequently getting out muscled in the centre. N Hunt and Doyle had little service and Bikey appeared to have thoughts elsewhere. A team with a bit more about them would have beaten us today.
Fake hoops just wanted to avoid defeat and were pretty ineffective as the important decisions went in their favour.
We were denied a cast iron penalty when Mcmahon? handballed it in the area. (Hand ball given against us a short time after for an identical infringement) and their number 7 should have walked for diving for a penalty whilst on a yellow.

Still after a boring game we at least kept a clean sheet.
I think Sir Steve will look to tinker for our next two away games. I can see Boris and Karacan making way for Matejovsky and Cisse or Harper. He may even play 4-5-1 to strengthen the midfield.

Was it me or where the QPR fans singing " We are the rent boys"? :lol:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 25 Oct 2008 22:01

SHORT AND CURLY The four starting midfielders today were totally out of it.
S Hunt and Kebe failed to beat their full backs and Karacan and Boris were awful, frequently getting out muscled in the centre. N Hunt and Doyle had little service and Bikey appeared to have thoughts elsewhere. A team with a bit more about them would have beaten us today.
Fake hoops just wanted to avoid defeat and were pretty ineffective as the important decisions went in their favour.
We were denied a cast iron penalty when Mcmahon? handballed it in the area. (Hand ball given against us a short time after for an identical infringement) and their number 7 should have walked for diving for a penalty whilst on a yellow.

Still after a boring game we at least kept a clean sheet.
I think Sir Steve will look to tinker for our next two away games. I can see Boris and Karacan making way for Matejovsky and Cisse or Harper. He may even play 4-5-1 to strengthen the midfield.

Was it me or where the QPR fans singing " We are the rent boys"? :lol:

" we are the Rangers boys " Hth

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Oct 2008 22:06

hanemann - 6, not much to do but when he did he looked comfortable
rosenior - 6, defended well got forward, poor delivery and looked long every time.
bikey - 5, not his best game ad he knows it, nearly cost us a goal when dexter blackstock went through.
ingi - 6, average
armstrong -6, couple of poor clearances but apart from that looked OK.
kebe - 5.5, quiet, i remember him having two runs one of which was a good through ball to doyle. thats it.
gunnarsson - (-10), sh1te, utter sh1te. cant remember seeing ne thing he did well.
karacan - 6, put him self about, couple of good runs and felt a bit sorry for him as he was essentially playing on his own in the middle due to the ineffective gunnarsson.
shunt - 5.5, crossing was hit n miss if u include the free kicks n corners he took. below par
n hunt -5, hard to really say ne fing due to the poor service but compare to doyle...5
doyle - 6.5, again poor service to him, but worked his socks off and tried to create chances, put in a good ball to nhunt in the first half.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Oct 2008 22:08

QPR shut down our wingers today, and that is why we had no cutting edge. My main worry with this team is that we are so one dimensional going forward, there is no attacking threat from the centre of midfield. That is why we need to get Marek back in ASAP.

Gunnar looked completely out of it today.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Oct 2008 22:08

SHORT AND CURLY Was it me or where the QPR fans singing " We are the rent boys"? :lol:

Yes, i can confirm they were singing that :shock:

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 25 Oct 2008 22:41

winchester_royal QPR shut down our wingers today, and that is why we had no cutting edge. My main worry with this team is that we are so one dimensional going forward, there is no attacking threat from the centre of midfield. That is why we need to get Marek back in ASAP.

Gunnar looked completely out of it today.

Isn't Marek fit tho?
He played for the reserves or something and got quite a bit of time under his belt.

I also agree with everything you said.
Gunnar was completly hazed. Was frustrating

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 25 Oct 2008 22:45

the simple question is why did we always send balls up field in the air to n hunt or doyle knowing full well that hall was going to get to the ball every time

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Oct 2008 22:47

jonboy29red the simple question is why did we always send balls up field in the air to n hunt or doyle knowing full well that hall was going to get to the ball every time

Because everytime we tried to pass it through midfield Bryn gave it away, he really was awful today.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: QPR - back from the game

by Handsome Man » 25 Oct 2008 22:59

Without our excellent set-pieces we would be quite poor at the moment. But apart from his excellent delivery, S Hunt was poor today - well played to their right back. HIs brother was even worse - you would have to go back to the Burns days before we had a worse performance from a centre forward. Harper muct come back next week and perhaps Bikey should come into midfield as well - Karacan will come back, but I don't think Gunnarson will.

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 25 Oct 2008 23:12

Strange game all in all, because although we weren't at our best and just like Doncaster, QPR played some lovely triangles in midfield but had absolutely no cutting edge, we had the better of the chances and probably should have won, QPR defended well and got the point that by 70 minutes they had so clearly settled for.

I agree about Bryn and Jem being over run in midfield it was difficult for them today as it was on Tuesday. Coppell made the point post match about the wide man tucking in and over running us in the middle of the park, so what do you do put an extra man in midfield so we get more of the ball and the Centre Mids aren't chasing shadows but that would mean sacrificing someone up front?? I think we need to be more cultured from the back and try and pass the ball out possibly? Rosenior and more Armstrong tried to play the ball back to front far to often. Thought the whole midfield four looked tired and were very sloppy on occasssions (although everyone was guilty of this at some point), I can't see Coppell making changes on Tuesday but it looks like we need it.

Bikey seems to have taken Coppell's different drummer comments as some sort of compliment and become even more relaxed and casual on the ball. As a team I think we now must hold a new league record for consecutive number of sliced clearances during that sequence in the 2nd half. Comments about the bench selection were also valid, surely the fact that Coppell replaced a right winger with a centre forward means we need more attack minded players on the bench, which really means Henry doesn't it?

Oh and one thing surely everyone can agree on, penalty, surely it was? Although this may sound negative I'm not at all dissapointed and but for NHunt making better contact with his diving header or the ref actually awarding the pen we would have won.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 25 Oct 2008 23:12

winchester_royal
jonboy29red the simple question is why did we always send balls up field in the air to n hunt or doyle knowing full well that hall was going to get to the ball every time

Because everytime we tried to pass it through midfield Bryn gave it away, he really was awful today.

and he can only get better :roll:

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 25 Oct 2008 23:15

And we now have the joy of 2 away games.

Things can only get better?
The only way is up?

Are we playing in Blue&White for both matches away?

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 25 Oct 2008 23:22

QPR where clearly out for the 1 piont , killing the ball at each occasion, this did'nt help with the fact that we could not complete a pass without losing the ball and SH not being able to convert the numerous volley opportunitie's not his usual form imo, I cant see why we played gunnar tbh we should have has Cisse and should i say it Harps out from the start i also thought Jimi was off form to, i am praying for a better effort next week or Boxing day has arrived early.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 25 Oct 2008 23:26

rob the royal sack the board! sack the board! sack the board! oh hang on a minute...

Good idea, but only if it's this board.....

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 25 Oct 2008 23:27

Shockingly shite game.

Qpr controlled the first half with some nice neat touches shown and a few tough challenges put in. Everytime we got the ball it was either hoofed forward and headed back by the 8 foot Fitz Hall, or we would try and beat a player that would result in them tackling and winning the ball. Their midfield was the main reason for them controlling large spells of the game as they had a nice blend of tough tackling from Rowlands and the flair of Busacky - both were impressive today imo.
Second half we came out lively and created a few half chance but nothing brilliant. Again players tried a few things but nothing provailled. Their back four were comfortable for the majority of the game as it was long ball after long ball which Doyle and Hunty were never going to win. Stephen Hunt really isn't having any luck atm. Whether its him wanting to leave or just lack of form, he certainly did have a mare today. His touch and vision is pretty atrocious and I can't believe a club would consider paying 5 million pounds for him. No doubt he puts in 100 per cent but sometimes it isn't enough.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 25 Oct 2008 23:34

Tony Le Mesmer ALOL at this thread. Hobnob at its best.
FICKLE

Yes, you're totally right. Praising a good performance while criticising a bad one is fickle. Whatever the result we should deliver exactly the same summary of the game and the performances. I apologise and in future I'll stick to 'it's OK, we were in Division 2 ten years ago so even though the match was terrible we mustn't criticise any aspect of the match ever.'

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 25 Oct 2008 23:52

earleyroyal
FICKLE

Yes, you're totally right. Praising a good performance while criticising a bad one is fickle. Whatever the result we should deliver exactly the same summary of the game and the performances. I apologise and in future I'll stick to 'it's OK, we were in Division 2 ten years ago so even though the match was terrible we mustn't criticise any aspect of the match ever.'

You are a tiresome loudmouth sometimes. How old are you 18?

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 25 Oct 2008 23:56

Archie's penalty
earleyroyal
FICKLE

You are a tiresome loudmouth sometimes. How old are you 18?

People who resort to insults in place of debate are the tiresome ones. How about you point out what is wrong with criticising a bad performance?

Oh and if you were sitting next to me at the match (where it matters) you wouldn't hear a word of criticism out of my mouth.

The answer is 16

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 26 Oct 2008 00:02

I thought QPR cancelled us out by some good defending. S Hunt and Doyle found themselves surrounded, they could match our pace and their goalkeeper was up to everything that came near him. Down the wings and in midfield they looked dangerous and they were able to win most of the high balls.

Having said that, we were slipping around a bit and some of our passing is a bit awry - not as good as it was before the international break when it seemed like we had an extra player on the pitch backing up any move. I can't really pick anyone out and say it was their fault we didn't win because I felt we weren't playing as well as a team, but Kebe and S Hunt both didn't look up to their normal selves.

...and we should have had that penalty.

That's what I thought anyway.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Oct 2008 00:03

earleyroyal People who resort to insults in place of debate are the tiresome ones. How about you point out what is wrong with criticising a bad performance?

Oh and if you were sitting next to me at the match (where it matters) you wouldn't hear a word of criticism out of my mouth.

The answer is 16

I just think there is an element of fickleness about the whole debate. That's why I think your ironic response to TLM was a bit over the top. We do have some problems and I would agree with you that centre midfield is our main concern. I would have Harper in instead of Bryn who played badly today. I do think that QPR played for a point, shut up shop and got what they wanted. I will be disappointed if we lose on Tuesday though. That is the test. If we win this performance will just be a memory. Sorry for the abuse.

139 posts