Blades fans back from the game...

Royalshow

Re: Blades fans back from the game...

by Royalshow » 17 Nov 2008 16:08

brendywendy agreed with that

st james'park and old trafford were very very disappointing atmosphere wise

I hope your plans for the saints game involve alcoholic beverages in larger numbers!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2008 16:13

Royalshow
brendywendy agreed with that

st james'park and old trafford were very very disappointing atmosphere wise

I hope your plans for the saints game involve alcoholic beverages in larger numbers!

i may even push it to 3 pints pre game seeing as last weeks two pints was such a resounding success :wink:

r u lot going to cardiff?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Nov 2008 16:21

The whole year inn
hughsies no.1 just found this on 606 and it did make me chuckle. brizzie city away comes to mind.

In all my years of attending Bramall Lane I don't think I have ever been so shocked and disgusted with what I saw today. Approximately 800 away fans is appalling for such a big match at the the divisions best and most intimidating stadium.

For a team that is quite clearly the best in the division to have such poor quality support must be really disheartening for their players and says everything about Steve Coppell and his powers of motivation.

How their players must have looked on with envy at ours, who have such passionate and numerous support home & away. How much does Kevin Doyle regret signing that contract when he comes to somewhere like Bramall Lane and thinks "I wish I payed for a club like this"

I really think that Reading FC should now make a statement that they wish to forfeit the right to promotion to the Premier League in favour of a team with more deserving fans who could maintain Premier League football long term, a team such as Sheffield United.

Their fans don't deserve such a good team, but we do.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HaHa That has made my day

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Nov 2008 16:25

Cookie
Tinrib From bladesunited:

United – Whatever gripes about tactics, formation, team selection are merited but surely there can be no dispute that Reading simply are a better team, with better individuals and are better coached.

Reading completely dictated proceedings from the start of the game, they passed the ball better, looked faster, stronger and more skilful than the huff and puff Blades that gamely tried to come back but had surrender much of the initiative and the game in the first 25 minutes.

Reading – Probably the best side in the division. Strong, skilled, tall, good footballers, organised. Sure they are not Real Madrid, but they will take some stopping. I actually think that some of their standout players were not the ones who were playing week in, week out for the last few years like Kebe and Cisse. They lost Shorey, Kitson and Sonko but they do not seem to have skipped a beat and that is credit to Coppell who is still a vastly underrated manager. They play the right way and always look to pass and always look to go forward, wherever they go away from home. However, if teams mix it up, they have the size and power to mix it too. I felt Cisse was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Also, they prove you do not have to play a target man up front as they have two smaller players, albeit who can really compete in the air, and who generally like it to feet. I still think their defence can be got at. I thought Armstrong was one of their poorer players and was the main are we caused problems yesterday but they manage to cover their lack of speed at this area by covering for each other. Harper is a player that should be playing much higher up as he has all the qualities needed in a midfielder. Hunt (S) is an annoying little sod but a good footballer. The winger Kebe caused Sun Jihai a lot of problems too. Reading will go away and play that up-tempo passing football utilising the pace and scoring threats they have and win a lot of games. I struggle to see how two teams will finish above them.

"I struggle to see how two teams will finish above them"

So do I mate. :lol:

And me :lol:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 Nov 2008 17:07

readingbedding But Strapon thinks Kebe can't play football.
I'm confused.

I do not think that, I know it, as would anyone with an ounce of footballing sense.

My credentials for saying that may well be suspect, only having watched football for 40 odd years, but Mick Gooding seem holds a similar view, and I wouldn't argue with him.

When Kebe learns how to pass, or tackle, or trap a ball, or shoot, or mark, or track back, or cross or head the ball, to go with his Mr Woo skills, I might beginb to change my mind. Until then, when I want to see tricks I'll go to my local park and watch them for free.

There is a very good reason he was out on loan playing second division French football when we signed him for £400k (they MUST have seen us coming!) - it's because he's not a footballer.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Nov 2008 17:14

Coppell can argue with Gooding because Coppell was a better player and manager than Gooding ever was.

Stupid viewpoint anyway, of course Kebe can play football.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2008 17:20

strap
readingbedding But Strapon thinks Kebe can't play football.
I'm confused.

I do not think that, I know it, as would anyone with an ounce of footballing sense.

My credentials for saying that may well be suspect, only having watched football for 40 odd years, but Mick Gooding seem holds a similar view, and I wouldn't argue with him.

When Kebe learns how to pass, or tackle, or trap a ball, or shoot, or mark, or track back, or cross or head the ball, to go with his Mr Woo skills, I might beginb to change my mind. Until then, when I want to see tricks I'll go to my local park and watch them for free.

There is a very good reason he was out on loan playing second division French football when we signed him for £400k (they MUST have seen us coming!) - it's because he's not a footballer.

recently ive seen him track back, tackle,trap, cross, mark, and head the ball
therefore you know feck all
HTH

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2008 17:21

I think there may be a problem here with the definition of what 'playing football' means.

Kebe can certainly cross, he can dribble and he can pass. Which let's be honest is what you want from a winger.

David Beckham is no good in the air, Peter Cech can't tackle and Gary Lineker wasn't a great passer of the ball but they can all play football.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Nov 2008 17:35

vs

Coppell wins 1st Rd KO!

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 17 Nov 2008 17:50

Why was the support so much better in Bristol then at Brammall lane? Obviously numbers and acoustics play a role, but I don't see how it makes THAT much difference? Anyone got a guess for this?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2008 18:12

could be something to do with brizzle being an hour away
and sheffield being more

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 17 Nov 2008 18:30

St Pauli Why was the support so much better in Bristol then at Brammall lane? Obviously numbers and acoustics play a role, but I don't see how it makes THAT much difference? Anyone got a guess for this?

The train to Sheffield is considerably more expensive and more stressful then that to Bristol.The numbers using this form of transport compared with cars is far smaller. The majority of people are likely to have driven to Sheffield and as a result could not have more then a pint. Compare that to Bristol, where a far high proportion of people got the train and could drink considerable amounts.

Public transports + medium to short distance + beers = good atmosphere

cars + long distance + beer = morgue

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 17 Nov 2008 21:00

As I was walking back to the station after the game I heard Sheff Utd fans saying good things about us, something along the lines of "They looked like they were having a good time in the away end." I thought we were pretty good at making noise, trying to make noise when they came at us early in the second half and going into party mode for the last 20 minutes or so.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 17 Nov 2008 21:26

This is unimportant.

When we get to the end of the season what will be remembered?

The number of points we get? Promotion.....?

Or how many fans turned up at Sheffield and how much noise they made?

8) 8) 8) 8)

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 18 Nov 2008 02:28

On saturday, Kébé earned himself an utterly stupid booking for repeatedly trying to run through or over Sun when he was trying to win back the ball. He's not a great tackler. He also needs to recognise that he will rarely beat three or four players, and should therefore release the ball when he's created an opening more often. That said, his pace and dribbling *do* create good chances, and his good play has set up goals. He also gets into good positions, he just needs to work on his finishing to actually put one of those chances away. Personally, I think the cup is more than half full.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 18 Nov 2008 03:15

St Pauli Why was the support so much better in Bristol then at Brammall lane? Obviously numbers and acoustics play a role, but I don't see how it makes THAT much difference? Anyone got a guess for this?

Use your

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 18 Nov 2008 08:58

Shorter trip
Larger support
Crap away end at Sheff Utd. The noise doesn't carry well from the bottom tier.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 18 Nov 2008 09:16

In all my years of attending Bramall Lane I don't think I have ever been so shocked and disgusted with what I saw today. Approximately 800 away fans is appalling for such a big match at the the divisions best and most intimidating stadium.

For a team that is quite clearly the best in the division to have such poor quality support must be really disheartening for their players and says everything about Steve Coppell and his powers of motivation.

How their players must have looked on with envy at ours, who have such passionate and numerous support home & away. How much does Kevin Doyle regret signing that contract when he comes to somewhere like Bramall Lane and thinks "I wish I payed for a club like this"

I really think that Reading FC should now make a statement that they wish to forfeit the right to promotion to the Premier League in favour of a team with more deserving fans who could maintain Premier League football long term, a team such as Sheffield United.

Their fans don't deserve such a good team, but we do.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

HaHa That has made my day[/quote]

Whoever you are, you're more than welcome to come down south and support the royals :wink:
Maybe you could change the 'ways' we support our team.

Good read. How ridiculous can some fans get, seriously. :lol:

Doyler

by Doyler » 18 Nov 2008 11:14

S09Royal Great reads...it's always nice to see other fans writing something nice about us for once...(Watford, QPR, Bristol City fans weren't as nice as this... :roll: )

I think we still have A LOT to do to get automatically promoted, let alone being promoted as Champions. Let's hope the international break during the week will benefit us. Does anyone know where Ireland are playing and when Doyle + Shunt get back to training for Saturday's match?
Seems quite typical of Sheffield United fans, they're a good bunch. When I went to the 1-1 draw at Brammal Lane in our promotion season, they spend the whole game praising us to the hilt and calling Sheffield United donkeys. :lol:

Thames

by Thames » 18 Nov 2008 14:11

LOL @ Sheff U.