Re: Please give Henry a chance

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 09:56

readingbedding Ta...

no problem

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 07 Dec 2008 11:12

Talking about the Championship...We need to sign that Chris Eagles.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Dec 2008 11:15

rg6royal He'll put Matejovsky on the right.

He best do

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Dec 2008 11:26

Talking about The Championship..... It was not exactly clear why Kebe got sent off....?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 07 Dec 2008 11:29

rg6royal Talking about the Championship...We need to sign that Chris Eagles.

'Greed.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 07 Dec 2008 11:40

winchester_royal
rg6royal Talking about the Championship...We need to sign that Chris Eagles.

'Greed.

You knows it clart.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 07 Dec 2008 12:53

Some people here are being very harsh on Henry, without having seen him much. Here's the good and bad I know about him:

Good:
- He has been the star of the England U19s for a long time.
- Spurs and Arsenal were supposedly interested in him for a while.
- He scored 2 goals away to Stoke in the cup and was considered our best player.
- My friend (Orient fan) said he was head and shoulders above League 1 last year on his day. This was with a struggling Bournemouth side. It's only 1 step up and coming into a team doing well will make it easier for him.

Bad:
- Absolutely no impact for Norwich at this level this season.
- Last season Coppell thought it was better to try Oster, Rosenior, Fae and Hunt on the right rather than giving Henry a game before considering it necessary to sign Kebe. This hardly shows confidence in him.
- England U19s? Who plays for them? If he was that good he'd be at a higher level.

It's a risk playing Henry, but for me he deserves a chance as he has been waiting patiently a long time and there have been positive noises about him. More the the point, he's our only right winger available. If Coppell doesn't have the confidence to play him in this circumstance then what use is JH to Reading?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Dec 2008 13:42

henry was on the bench ahead of convey for last couple of games
so unless we radically change our shape for a relatively"easy" home game he should be in possession of the shirt till he loses it.
if we are to stick to coppells consistent view on this

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 07 Dec 2008 14:24

rhroyal Some people here are being very harsh on Henry, without having seen him much. Here's the good and bad I know about him:

Good:
- Spurs and Arsenal were supposedly interested in him for a while.
- He scored 2 goals away to Stoke in the cup and was considered our best player.
- My friend (Orient fan) said he was head and shoulders above League 1 last year on his day. This was with a struggling Bournemouth side. It's only 1 step up and coming into a team doing well will make it easier for him.

Bad:
- Absolutely no impact for Norwich at this level this season.
- Last season Coppell thought it was better to try Oster, Rosenior, Fae and Hunt on the right rather than giving Henry a game before considering it necessary to sign Kebe. This hardly shows confidence in him.
- England U19s? Who plays for them? If he was that good he'd be at a higher level.

It's a risk playing Henry, but for me he deserves a chance as he has been waiting patiently a long time and there have been positive noises about him. More the the point, he's our only right winger available. If Coppell doesn't have the confidence to play him in this circumstance then what use is JH to Reading?

Nice summary. =)
I think part of the Norwich problem may simply be who manages the player.
Look at Lita - it's quite obvious Coppell can't communicate with him, and yet Roeder clearly can get the goals out of him. Maybe it's the same with Henry, only the other way around. Maybe Roeder couldn't communicate with Henry?
Just a thought. :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2008 14:26

Wasn't there also a limit to the number of loanees they could play and Henry lost out because there were a couple already there excelling?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Dec 2008 14:54

rhroyal Some people here are being very harsh on Henry, without having seen him much. Here's the good and bad I know about him:

Good:
- Spurs and Arsenal were supposedly interested in him for a while. Chelsea, actually. We turned down bids of £1m and then £1.5m from Chelsea for him

Bad:
- Absolutely no impact for Norwich at this level this season. They had too many loanees, and they didn't need a right winger as much as they needed a centre back, left back, left winger and striker (Pearce, Bertrand, Gibbs and Evans were covering those positions). Or what Ian said.
- Last season Coppell thought it was better to try Oster, Rosenior, Fae and Hunt on the right rather than giving Henry a game before considering it necessary to sign Kebe. This hardly shows confidence in him. Oster was a senior right winger, he should have been played first. Fae needed a chance somewhere and wasn't defensively good enough to play CM. Rosenior's pace was another option whilst Henry was on loan, and the Hunt-Convey combo worked better than any other last season.
- England U19s? Who plays for them? If he was that good he'd be at a higher level. Landsbury, Wiltshire, Welbeck, Gibbs, Bertrand? Two of them have played in the first team for big four clubs this season.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Dec 2008 15:21

We turned down bids of £1m and then £1.5m from Chelsea for him

I really really find that hard to believe.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 07 Dec 2008 15:45

SCIAG

Good:
- Spurs and Arsenal were supposedly interested in him for a while. Chelsea, actually. We turned down bids of £1m and then £1.5m from Chelsea for him I really do find that hard to believe, if he was worth that much at his age surely he would have been given a chance by now.

Bad:
- Absolutely no impact for Norwich at this level this season. They had too many loanees, and they didn't need a right winger as much as they needed a centre back, left back, left winger and striker (Pearce, Bertrand, Gibbs and Evans were covering those positions). Or what Ian said. That is true to be fair.
- Last season Coppell thought it was better to try Oster, Rosenior, Fae and Hunt on the right rather than giving Henry a game before considering it necessary to sign Kebe. This hardly shows confidence in him. Oster was a senior right winger, he should have been played first. Fae needed a chance somewhere and wasn't defensively good enough to play CM. Rosenior's pace was another option whilst Henry was on loan, and the Hunt-Convey combo worked better than any other last season. It goes further than I originally stated, at the start of the season Oster was out too and Coppell still wouldn't give Henry a sniff of first team football. I'd say that was the Premiership and he was a year younger so I wouldn't hold it against him too much now. However you can't avoid the fact that Coppell looked at pretty much every other option ahead of playing Henry.
- England U19s? Who plays for them? If he was that good he'd be at a higher level. Landsbury, Wiltshire, Welbeck, Gibbs, Bertrand? Two of them have played in the first team for big four clubs this season. Wiltshire and Welbeck are 16 and 17 respectively, it would be a massive ask for them to push for U21s or something. JH is 19 and he just hasn't progressed enough in comparison

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Dec 2008 17:48

Royal Rother
We turned down bids of £1m and then £1.5m from Chelsea for him

I really really find that hard to believe.

I've had a good rummage, and I can't find any of the articles with news of the bid in. There was definately a £1m bid, perhaps I'm thinking of someone else entirely with the £1.5m bid. The £1m bid was on the official site and was common knowledge at the time.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Dec 2008 18:04

The only thing I can see is reference to the fact that he turned down interest from Chelsea to join our Academy in 2005.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Dec 2008 18:07

Royal Rother The only thing I can see is reference to the fact that he turned down interest from Chelsea to join our Academy in 2005.

Believe me, I had a good long look. I also found some articles from this time last year (albeit the Daily Mirror or Mail) that both Chelsea and Spurs were interested. Meh, my point still stands that they were interested, which indicates some quality.

Also, can we clear this up: Henry is pronounced as if he was French.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 Dec 2008 18:10

Henry is Coppell's 2nd choice right winger, if he doesn't play then you have to question why he's still here?

He has put some faith into the other youth players, it should be Henry's chance on Tuesday. Only way we'll find out of the lad is good enough is if he plays a few games.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Dec 2008 18:12

SCIAG Also, can we clear this up: Henry is pronounced as if he was French.

In the words of the great John Mcenroe 'You cannot be serious'?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 07 Dec 2008 18:25

We saw what happened last years with trying to play players out of positon.

Give Henry a chance I say.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 07 Dec 2008 19:07

SCIAG
rhroyal - Absolutely no impact for Norwich at this level this season. They had too many loanees, and they didn't need a right winger as much as they needed a centre back, left back, left winger and striker (Pearce, Bertrand, Gibbs and Evans were covering those positions). Or what Ian said.

Aha. That explains it. Ignore my previous comment. :oops:

141 posts