FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: McLeish Comments

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Dec 2008 21:52

Avon Royal
FiNeRaIn Birmingham have been rubbish all season

But what about their ambition eh? So much ambition! :wink:

Kevin Ambition? Good goal from him today!

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 20 Dec 2008 21:53

I expect these comments from Mcleish, and for those who were surprised he said these things, let me remind you of a few things that may clear up why he said it:
He has ginger hair (i'm not hairest btw)
He's Scottish and prounounce numerous r's when he says burger or something with an 'r' in it.
He looks like Goldmember off of Austin Powers >>

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 20 Dec 2008 21:55

FiNeRaIn
Avon Royal
FiNeRaIn Birmingham have been rubbish all season

But what about their ambition eh? So much ambition! :wink:

Kevin Ambition? Good goal from him today!

I'll give you that - it was a cracking strike.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 20 Dec 2008 23:45

kwik-silva
Alex McLeish We had chances but Reading were more clinical than us and it's obviously disappointing.

But it doesn't decide anything. They are above us in the table on December 20 but the league will go right to the wire.

They are an efficient side who do the simple things well. They are not a beautiful passing side but they all know what they are doing and they're hard to beat.

I've always thought we are normally a beautiful passing side, not as good as others, but better than birmingham :? I agree with most of it the rest though

To be brutally honest i couldn't argue with him. We are not an attractive passing side but we are a "team" within which everyone knows their job.

Its also worth pointing out that being a "passing side" doesn't automatically make you attacking or entertaining. Whatever our supposed shortcomings in the eyes of the so-called purists i believe we are both the former and the latter. Put it this way , out of the 2 sides playing today i know which one i'd rather watch week in week out and it aint the one managed by Big Eck.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2008 23:56

We are an attacking side, but we do pass the ball well. We're nto an Arsenal where it's all about the football. We move the ball quickly and accurately, but certainly not the lump it upfront approach "direct" suggests.

We'll never have lots of possession because when we get the ball we attack. There isn't much point in having it if you aren't going to try and score.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Dec 2008 00:04

Ian Royal We are an attacking side, but we do pass the ball well. We're nto an Arsenal where it's all about the football. We move the ball quickly and accurately, but certainly not the lump it upfront approach "direct" suggests.

We'll never have lots of possession because when we get the ball we attack. There isn't much point in having it if you aren't going to try and score.

That's the most direct I've seen Reading play for a considerable time. It's a good tactic to use every so often. I didn't go to Wolves - did we play in a similar style there?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Dec 2008 00:05

Royal With Cheese
Ian Royal We are an attacking side, but we do pass the ball well. We're nto an Arsenal where it's all about the football. We move the ball quickly and accurately, but certainly not the lump it upfront approach "direct" suggests.

That's the most direct I've seen Reading play for a considerable time. It's a good tactic to use every so often. I didn't go to Wolves - did we play in a similar style there?

Don't think I caught Wolves. Just going by how wev've played for the last 3 or 4 seasons when I have seen us.

starbug

by starbug » 21 Dec 2008 00:36

Alex McLeish We had chances but Reading were more clinical than us and it's obviously disappointing.

But it doesn't decide anything. They are above us in the table on December 20 but the league will go right to the wire.

They are an efficient side who do the simple things well. They are not a beautiful passing side but they all know what they are doing and they're hard to beat.

Completely agree with Alex but points are awarded for scoring more goals than the opposition, something Birmingham never looked liked doing the whole game. A truly pathetic performance from a team with aspirations of the Premier League.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Dec 2008 08:26

Bitterness in defeat and using our 'lack of passing credentials' as a pre-match pep talk was probably the undoing of McLeish's tactics. Yes were not a controlling team, dominant within midfield but can step up a gear when we need to. Stringing 3 finely crafted passes through midfield is an achievement to RFC. Ball retention is not our forte.
We are doing something right in getting service into the oppositions defensive area to have such a commanding goal difference.
McLeish needs to hone his pre-match psychological skills not state the bleeding obvious in his post match analysis.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 21 Dec 2008 09:55

i agree we dont pass the ball well but id rather win ugly as the saying goes and grind out a 1 nil which we have done a few times this year then not win at all and lose points on wolves

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Dec 2008 10:23

I don't the pitch yesterday was particularly condusive to good passing, it looked very bobbly, meaning players often had to tak an extra touch.

I've seen a few Birmingham games on TV and, I have to say, they are neither entertaining nor particularly good.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 21 Dec 2008 10:35

Apparently, according to my missus, for Big Eck read Horatio out of CSI. If that's the case he didn't do his detective work on us did he? :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Dec 2008 11:49

I don't understand what the fuss is about.

We are NOT a beautiful passing side. Saying it does not make McLeish bitter. In fact he said it in the context of positive comments about us so why get knicks in a twist over nothing?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Dec 2008 12:03

Schards#2 I don't the pitch yesterday was particularly condusive to good passing, it looked very bobbly, meaning players often had to tak an extra touch.

I've seen a few Birmingham games on TV and, I have to say, they are neither entertaining nor particularly good.

Every time Brum have been on tv I have attempted to watch a bit to see how good they are. Every time I get bored cr*pless and stop. Wolves on the other hand are an exciting team, as are Burnley. Both play the game the right way.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Dec 2008 12:41

Ah, the righteous indignation of Reading supporters, don't you just love it 8)

McLeish is spot on in his very positive comments about us and anyone who thinks that Reading play beautiful passing football really should take their blinkers off. In football you play to your strengths and Reading are at their strongest when playing their direct, pacy game using the flanks and reliant on the outstanding fitness levels of our players.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Dec 2008 12:48

I think righteous indignation is a tad strong. RFC is RFC. We play the game we play. Good bad or ugly. That is why first season success in the PL was such a two fingered salute to the great cash cow.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Dec 2008 14:17

Archie's penalty Every time Brum have been on tv I have attempted to watch a bit to see how good they are. Every time I get bored cr*pless and stop.

Similar comments would certainly have been justified about Reading until yesterday. Even then, I doubt the neutral observers would have been bowled over by us despite a hugely efficient performance.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Dec 2008 14:20

floyd__streete Ah, the righteous indignation of Reading supporters, don't you just love it 8)

McLeish is spot on in his very positive comments about us and anyone who thinks that Reading play beautiful passing football really should take their blinkers off. In football you play to your strengths and Reading are at their strongest when playing their direct, pacy game using the flanks and reliant on the outstanding fitness levels of our players.

floyd_streete - the voice of reason amongst madness

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 21 Dec 2008 14:21

floyd__streete Reading are at their strongest when playing their direct, pacy game using the flanks and reliant on the outstanding fitness levels of our players.

And I happen to think that's beautiful............ 8)