Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Film: 400

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2009 17:15

What do all these dates have in common?
24 October 1997
23 November 1996
8 April 1996

Dates we got more than 12500 at Elm Park in a league game.

Thats from 3 different seasons, prior to the move to the Madejski Stadium, all of which we finished in the bottom 7, including one we were relegated. And yet still got higher than a number we never could have dreamed of. Also an amount only a couple of thousand from capacity in a decrepit stadium in front of a struggling/poor team.

Congratulations, Plymouth may have been better supported a decade or more ago. But you're now neither better supported, nor more successful and you haven't been for a fair few seasons.

brush the chip off your shoulder and get counciling for your inferiority complex.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 05 Mar 2009 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 05 Mar 2009 17:15

handbags_harris
T-Rex
Arnie_Pie Seems this chap is a bit more realistic of who is tinpot :lol:

You and I both know that 12500 is more than your club could ever have dreamed of before it sold it's soul to become the current plastic carnation.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by that? I fail to see where steady, financially stable, year on year progression falls into the category of selling it's soul. Ignorance is bliss isn't it? You fall firmly into the same category as the Wednesday fan on Tuesday night, and I quote "it's all about your money, f**k off back to the 4th Division where you belong". Progression on the pitch = higher attendances. Fact of life. It would happen at Argyle as well. Live with it.

Reading FC.

A Plastic Carnation.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 05 Mar 2009 17:16

Ian Royal What do all these dates have in common?
24 October 1997
23 November 1996
8 April 1996

Dates we got more than 12500 at Elm Park in a league game.

Thats from 3 different seasons, prior to the move to the Madejski Stadium, all of which we finished in the bottom 7, including one we were relegated. And yet still got higher than a number we never could have dreamed of. Also an amount only a couple of thousand from capacity in a decrepit stadium in front of a struggling/poor team.

Congratulations, Plymmouth may have been better supported a decade or more ago. But you're now neither better supported, nor more successful and you haven't been for a fair few seasons.

brush the chip off your shoulder and get counciling for your inferiority complex.

Nope.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 05 Mar 2009 17:17

T-Rex who then bankrolls you to the PL

Yeah, I'm so pleased we've had a chairman that's spent millions upon millions on the team since becoming chairman :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2009 17:17

How long? Ever?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 05 Mar 2009 17:18

Ian Royal How long? Ever?

Enjoy

http://www.european-football-statistics ... b/plya.htm

Notice the 3 seasons when they've had reasonable gates for the level they are playing at coincide with promotion seasons and their first year at Championship level in ages?

You have to go back to the 1950's to find some impressive crowd numbers.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 05 Mar 2009 17:22

Rex, if Plymouth were about to become a club of the past but was then taking over by a new owner who has a few quid, what would your opinion be?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2009 17:24

T-Rex
handbags_harris
T-Rex You and I both know that 12500 is more than your club could ever have dreamed of before it sold it's soul to become the current plastic carnation.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by that? I fail to see where steady, financially stable, year on year progression falls into the category of selling it's soul. Ignorance is bliss isn't it? You fall firmly into the same category as the Wednesday fan on Tuesday night, and I quote "it's all about your money, f**k off back to the 4th Division where you belong". Progression on the pitch = higher attendances. Fact of life. It would happen at Argyle as well. Live with it.

Progression on the pitch = higher attendances. Well duh.

What about your 'progression' off the pitch? As in get bought by a rich man, who builds a 24k all-seater stadium despite you only getting 3k at the time, who then bankrolls you to the PL. RFC are as bad and as 'real' a football club as Wigan are. :roll:

Lowest attendence I have from 97/98 is just under 5k. An early League cup game. Lowest League? Just over 5k. That's in a relegation season.

Madejski hasn't bankrolled us much more than providing a lot of investment for the stadium. And maybe a bunch of spending under Burns where he learnt that throwing money at players doesn't necessarily work. We're just run very well. We run at a loss, most of the time, but not a huge one.

Sir John gave us the push in the right direction to get us up to a new level, most of the rest has been hard work and good business models.

Keep up the top bullshitting

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2009 17:30

So quite good for a tier 3 club on the whole. But fail to sustain quality at a higher level for any time and just get the plastics in briefly whilst they're there. Don't drop too badly when down to tier 4 either mind.

In fact after 1 season in tier two for the first time in 13 years they lost, LOST roughly 2.5k fans the next season. Must have preferred the higher quality on display at Exeter in the conference. :lol:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 05 Mar 2009 17:34

Ian Royal So quite good for a tier 3 club on the whole. But fail to sustain quality at a higher level for any time and just get the plastics in briefly whilst they're there. Don't drop too badly when down to tier 4 either mind.

In fact after 1 season in tier two for the first time in 13 years they lost, LOST roughly 2.5k fans the next season. Must have preferred the higher quality on display at Exeter in the conference. :lol:

Reading figures for that same period around the 50's were also quite good around the 15k mark. God knows how they fitted into Elm Park! :shock:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2009 17:36

Alan Partridge
Ian Royal So quite good for a tier 3 club on the whole. But fail to sustain quality at a higher level for any time and just get the plastics in briefly whilst they're there. Don't drop too badly when down to tier 4 either mind.

Reading figures for that same period around the 50's were also quite good around the 15k mark. God knows how they fitted into Elm Park! :shock:

Just thinking about the toilet situation makes me fear nightmares.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Mar 2009 17:39

i know this is a pathetic little argument, but it gives us another chance to see this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68ch5w8sFY

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 05 Mar 2009 17:46

If you want atmosphere and tradition then youre supporting the wrong club in Devon T rex. I watched you guys beat palace from the Palace end a few years back and your support was laughable, despite the fact you were winning and you still had a terraced section. Your ground had three sides of identical plastic seated bowl, and it was pretty empty. You know that St James' Park has more character and soul in the big bank then Argyle do in the whole of Home Park. You are Devons plastic team and you know it! :mrgreen:

The Club intend at some point to ‘finish the ground’ by re-developing the old Grandstand. It is intended to build a multi-tiered stand with a capacity of 6,000. This will be part of a wider development that could also see the construction of a hotel, residential accommodation for students and/or key workers, plus conference space and leisure facilities. The club are currently looking for partners in this project and if they are successful and all goes to plan then work could start in 2010.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 05 Mar 2009 17:49

T-Rex What about your 'progression' off the pitch? As in get bought by a rich man, who builds a 24k all-seater stadium despite you only getting 3k at the time, who then bankrolls you to the PL. RFC are as bad and as 'real' a football club as Wigan are. :roll:

LOL, totally ignorant :lol: I like a good debate, particularly in defence of my club. Yeah, we were bought by a local rich benefactor when we were averaging 3k. I think you'll find that when we finally started to build the Madejski Stadium we were getting crowds of around 8-10k, as opposed to the 3k you suggest. You may call the way we got to the Premier League "bankrolled". It's nothing of the sort. Madejski certainly aided providing the finance for the progression off the pitch, but merely in the form of loans. That to you and the layman means the money has to be paid back. Still hardly bankrolling though is it? I seem to remember the money we paid Charlton for John Salako came from the success of our official website for example. Our current squad is hardly a squad of big money signings either, and it never has been. The squad we have is probably the most expensively assembled and cost probably in the region of £8 million, the majority of which were bought with the money gained from the Premier League. Very occasionally has the Chairman provided finance for signings. Some of the signings have been more than Plymouth Argyle could ever wish to pay for a player, but they're still well affordable within the financial structure of the club. How you come to the conclusion we're all about money is quite laughably ignorant though...

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 05 Mar 2009 17:53

Living in Cornwall we regularly get the highlights :roll: of Plymouth games on the local TV. The stadium is always half empty and the manager cannot speak understandable English.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 05 Mar 2009 17:54

It's all about the Giant Duckberg.

This is just the tip of it.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 05 Mar 2009 18:05

T-Rex

What about your 'progression' off the pitch? As in get bought by a rich man, who builds a 24k all-seater stadium despite you only getting 3k at the time, who then bankrolls you to the PL. RFC are as bad and as 'real' a football club as Wigan are. :roll:

t-rex are you a janner by any chance? you seem inbred, deluded and think in a backward manner.

lets just review you statement.

'progression.'
Yes we're no longer tiny, poor and play at a sh1te stadium.
we got bought by a rich, ambitious chairman who has made things happen. which can be more than said for plymouth.
Yes we play at a 24.5k seater stadium, which isnt inhabited by retards like yourself. at the the time we had crowds of 3k because we playing in the second division and had a smaller fanbase compared to the past 3/4 yrs or so.
bankrolls us to the prem....hmm...the season we went to the premier league we bought doyle and long for peanuts. lita was a million pound buy though( with a great goal return), makin and gunnarsson we're bought for almost nothing. im sure there were other next to nothing buys.
wigan are real, they play in the premier league and are doing pretty well. so if your comparing us to them, im flattered :P

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Mar 2009 18:17

Alan Partridge

I am sure that the crowd for a FA Cup (or maybe League Cup) match against Southampton (at EP) was ~22.5k and I was one of that mob. I have been in several crowds approaching 20k during my time at EP and it was great; a tad uncomfortable but great. You didn't worry about the toilets - becaue there was no way you'd get out of the crowd to get there anyway!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Mar 2009 18:22

I've been to a couple in the 15k region and that was pretty cramped. No idea how another 5k would fit!

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 05 Mar 2009 18:42

St Pauli You know that St James' Park has more character and soul in the big bank then Argyle do in the whole of Home Park.

correct

124 posts