Are we actually that far away from another great team?

boy1985

Re: Are we actually that far away from another great team?

by boy1985 » 06 May 2009 11:34

Royalee
Top Flight The one change we mustn't make is that of the manager.

Coppell should definitely stay. He is the best manager in our history.

In your opinion.

Who is the best manager in our history then?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 May 2009 11:39

For two seasons and has since presided over one of the worst declines in our history whilst deluded sections of the fan base have blamed everyone except the man who, assembled the squad, refused to spend his budget and picked the team, formation and tactics for every match throughout 2 seasons of abject failure.

Alivey

by Alivey » 06 May 2009 11:40

If we had Fae, Seol and Oster back we would be doing excellent IMO

boy1985

by boy1985 » 06 May 2009 11:41

Woodcote Royal

For two seasons and has since presided over one of the worst declines in our history whilst deluded sections of the fan base have blamed everyone except the man who, assembled the squad, refused to spend his budget and picked the team, formation and tactics for every match throughout 2 seasons of abject failure.

You my friend, are a plonker.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 06 May 2009 11:45

Alan Partridge

I think regardless who is manager there wil be a big shake up of players in the summer,i agree there needs to bea balance of youth and experience but i believe certain players here have ran their course and it's time for a shake up. Whether it will be Coppell doing it or someone else remains to be seen.

I believe it will have to be someone else. Coppell doesn`t seem to be able to handle the transitional phase of a football team, in fact this season with us was the longest he has stayed around at any one time to try to attempt it.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 May 2009 11:48

boy1985
Woodcote Royal

You my friend, are a plonker.

Coming from someone who thinks any manager of Northern Ireland has failed unless he qualifies for a World cup or wins a trophy, I think I may have to take this to heart :mrgreen:

boy1985

by boy1985 » 06 May 2009 11:53

Woodcote Royal Coming from someone who thinks any manager of Northern Ireland has failed unless he qualifies for a World cup or wins a trophy, I think I may have to take this to heart :mrgreen:

but he did fail :|

I didn't say he didn't do a good job though?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 May 2009 12:02

boy1985
Royalee

In your opinion.

Who is the best manager in our history then?

McGhee achieved far more when you balance it up against the resources he had, as did Pardew and both helped the club to be what it is today just as much if not more than Coppell.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 May 2009 12:06

boy1985
Woodcote Royal Coming from someone who thinks any manager of Northern Ireland has failed unless he qualifies for a World cup or wins a trophy, I think I may have to take this to heart :mrgreen:

but he did fail :|

I didn't say he didn't do a good job though?

Sanchez, having raised N I 100 points in the rankings left to manage Fulham.

Only in your deluded mind was that a failure for a manager of an International team of that stature.................back on planet earth, all informed opinion saw it as an impressive performance.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 May 2009 12:17

Woodcote Royal
For two seasons and has since presided over one of the worst declines in our history

How long have you been a fan? 5 minutes? Only during the Coppell era?

Coppell's decline is from 3rd bottom in the Premiership to 4th top in the Championship. That is hardly one of the worst declines in our history you tool.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 May 2009 12:17

Woodcote Royal

Jack Mansell presided over a much worse decline IMHO. Favs to be promoted from thwe old Div 3 and managed to get us relegated for the first time ever to Div 4.

Quinn and Gooding did much the same, tho they had to sell of the better players as we could not afford them on our wage structure.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 May 2009 12:22

Pardew had more resources than any previous manager other than TB2( who just threw it at anyone), he spent it and we went up, then he said he needed even more money, Mr M was not in favour, so Pardew saw we were not realistic about being a big club and left.

Pardew recommended Coppell as his successor, as he could work with JM on a tight budget, which he has done. Sadly long term trying to do things too cheap does not pay, retreads on a car, they come adrift, cheap paint, it peels, same in football, we need to move up the next step, but does Mr M have the desire or money to try??

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 May 2009 12:23

Terry Bullivant took us on a massive decline in a single season in recent times as well.

From mid table to relegated in a matter of weeks. A much worse decline than anything Coppell has managed.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 May 2009 12:39

Top Flight
Woodcote Royal
For two seasons and has since presided over one of the worst declines in our history

How long have you been a fan? 5 minutes? Only during the Coppell era?

Coppell's decline is from 3rd bottom in the Premiership to 4th top in the Championship. That is hardly one of the worst declines in our history you tool.

Make that 8th in the Premiership in 2007 to relegation form in the Championship throughout 2009.

That's how far the performance of Steve Coppell's team has collapsed in the space of 2 years and I believe that failing to win any of our last eight home games of the season is either a record or very close to being one.

Coppell enjoyed spectacular success here but now his failures have brought us back to the level we were at when he arrived. All good things come to an end and if he goes in the summer it will have been a year too late.

Whilst there was a lot to be admired by the actions of the car park crew, the time has long since arrived when they need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Thank the man for his two fantastic seasons and move on.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 06 May 2009 12:53

Woodcote Royal Thank the man for his two fantastic seasons and move on.

that bit is fair enough, but the rest of the shite you keep coming out with is laughable at times. I think your problem is your expectations. Nobody is gonna argue that we have been disappointing over the last 2 years but do you really think another manager would have done better?! The grass isn't always greener.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 May 2009 12:59

boy1985
Woodcote Royal Thank the man for his two fantastic seasons and move on.

that bit is fair enough, but the rest of the shite you keep coming out with is laughable at times. I think your problem is your expectations. Nobody is gonna argue that we have been disappointing over the last 2 years but do you really think another manager would have done better?! The grass isn't always greener.

Of course I think other managers could have done a much better job over the last 2 seasons (prepare yourself for life in the lower leagues if this isn't the case :| ) just as I feel it will be very hard for anyone to equal the success of his two best seasons.

PS. You are living proof that no one has a monopoly when it comes to posting sh*te on Hobnob.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 06 May 2009 13:08

I would back Coppell to sort it out. Do you remember in his second season when we abjectly failed to make the playoffs after being in a good position? It looked like we were washed up. No one predicted what happened the following season out of the blue. I say we keep keep Coppell until he wants to go. He's an honest man, and he'll know.

On the more general point, If Coppell stays, I think we must buy two better wingers than Hunt and Kebe. They're both unorthodox, and I say we need two more orthodox wingers, as Little and Convey were. Coppell's whole strategy is based on wingers, and when the wingers don't deliver, nor do Reading.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 06 May 2009 13:10

Woodcote Royal
PS. You are living proof that no one has a monopoly when it comes to posting sh*te on Hobnob.

I refuse to get into e-beef with you until my concerns that you are mentally disabled are addressed.

In the mean time why don't you go and support Man Utd and then maybe you can enjoy the constant success you demand.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2009 13:13

facaldaqui II say we keep keep Coppell until he wants to go. He's an honest man, and he'll know.

Unfortunately I think he knew it was time last summer but he was emotionally blackmailed into staying!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 May 2009 13:14

'Would anyone else have done any better?'

Who knows is the answer.

What is the answer is that Steve Coppell isn't the Einstein or God of football management you may be interested to learn. If he was don't you think maybe 1 half decent club would have looked to have his servicesat some point?

Coppell is the man that despite knowing his left back wanted out and was going played the first 4 matches of the season without a left back. There are many points you can look at as to how and why Reading didn't go on and win this pitiful league but that would be a good place to start. Forest and Charlton, two dire sides took points of Reading in the opening couple of games. Why hadn't a left back joined before the season started?

Coppell has done a good job here imo, I think he can rightly be regarded as one of the best if not the best manager Reading have had. I would accept the McGhee arguement and if he'd stuck around longer maybe he could have taken Reading on, I would definitely argue that Pardew is nowhere near as good as Coppell.

4th should be regarded as decent success but it's the manner of the 2nd half of the season and also that most of us seem to think Reading aren't far away from being decent that rankles. A couple of additions here and there and we'd have a really strong squad, the shambolic home form,if it was moderately less shambolic and Reading would have won the league.

I just feel the 2nd half slump this season again has been avoidable just like last seasons avoidable relegation, did Coppell and the club do everything they could to stop it? I'm personally not so sure on that.