New Signings ?

773 posts
I was there at Elm Park

Re: New Signings ?

by I was there at Elm Park » 10 Jun 2009 10:35

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... top_target

So now we know there's no ban on us signing Watford players.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 10 Jun 2009 10:37

Well no great surprise ofcourse and he is out of contract next summer.

Very good player at this level and will score/create goals although you won't be preared to pay too much as Tommy is nearly 30 or so.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 10 Jun 2009 10:38

I was there at Elm Park http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2052208_smith_is_readings_top_target

So now we know there's no ban on us signing Watford players.

TBH a lot are out of contract next summer and even if Rodgers was still with us the likes of Smith and McAnuff would have gone probably.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 10 Jun 2009 10:46

I posted an article on the Unfounded Rumours & Gossip page earlier today that links Reading with Lee Bowyer pretty strongly.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Jun 2009 11:21

Starfish I posted an article on the Unfounded Rumours & Gossip page earlier today that links Reading with Lee Bowyer pretty strongly.

NO! NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 10 Jun 2009 12:04

MalcybabyRFC
bottom left hand corner
MalcybabyRFC Just read on the London Metro today David Moyles and the Everton gang are planning a £10 million swoop for both SHunt & Doyle :|
Its like they say.. he gives with one but takes with the other!

Its the first transfer news ive heard regarding our existing players so far

It was on bbc gossip yesterday that everton was planning to bid for doyle and hunt but i think it was 7m for the pair

7m thats even worse - SHunt has a £5 million clause in his contract that needs to be fulfilled before he can leave. That means they are looking to take our top goal scorer for £2m :evil: :o :cry: :idea:

I thought part of his agreement to sign his recently improved contract was that the club either remove or reduce the £5million buy out clause, i could be wrong

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Jun 2009 13:55

Priority for us is a couple of strikers and a central defender.

Would be good to prune our midfield as well and perhaps do a bit of wheeling and dealing there if the opportunity arises.

Presumably Rodgers will start with Federici as the no. 1 but has been impressed with Hamer at Brentford. Of course he may decide to bring in someone more experienced.

On the leaving side of things I think we all know that Doyle and S Hunt will go and perhaps Bikey and Harper will move on as well.

hellopremiership

by hellopremiership » 10 Jun 2009 22:36

Andy King from Leicester. Maidenhead born so could be tempted and he's quite versatile. Might be able to get Matt Fryatt too.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 10 Jun 2009 23:58

hellopremiership Andy King from Leicester. Maidenhead born so could be tempted and he's quite versatile. Might be able to get Matt Fryatt too.

I doubt we'd be able to afford either and would they even want to join us? Whilst I/we may think Leicester will settle back into a mid-table Championship team with Pearson at charge, I guess they'll be quite optimistic and may feel they could make a push for the play-offs next year.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 11 Jun 2009 08:04

I wouldn't expect any major signings, given the comments from Hammond about needing to sell before we buy its quite clear that there isnt any money in the pot and I suspect even if we got big money for Doyle or Hunt the manager would only get a small amount back to spend. You only have to look at the comments made about using our academy to realise that Rodgers got the manager ticket selling the virtue of using what you have rather than spending big, all the qualities that Mr Mad wants to hear. I hope I'm wrong but I see a mid table season ahead where we don't buy and try to use the youth players who wont cut it.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 11 Jun 2009 09:00

Bath Hoops I wouldn't expect any major signings, given the comments from Hammond about needing to sell before we buy its quite clear that there isnt any money in the pot and I suspect even if we got big money for Doyle or Hunt the manager would only get a small amount back to spend. You only have to look at the comments made about using our academy to realise that Rodgers got the manager ticket selling the virtue of using what you have rather than spending big, all the qualities that Mr Mad wants to hear. I hope I'm wrong but I see a mid table season ahead where we don't buy and try to use the youth players who wont cut it.

After reading the Reading Post I have to agree. Sentences like 'the 36 year old (Rogers) has to sell players up to the value of 11 million to balance the books' and the following paragraphs 'Reading director of football Nick Hammond refused to go into details, but said "It is right to say players will have to be sold. The Manager is aware of the situation he has come into. If we want to buy players this summer there will have to be trading take place. There is no doubt about that." "He was made aware of that in the very first meeting as the relationship between myself and the manager is a key one and he needs to know the environment he is working in"

£11 million sounds as though we could be seeing several other players depart this summer, over and above Doyle and Shunt. This on top of Murty, Hahnemann, Duberry, Lita, Sodje, Bennett etc etc being off the wage bill.

Would be interesting to see the Report and Accounts from the last couple of seasons to see just how well we have (or have not) done financially. Not expecting them anytime soon tho' as the figures for the last Premiership season are conspicuous by their absence.

So I am not holding my breath for any significant new signings, may be a few Bosmans from the lower leagues and a reliance on the youngsters.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 11 Jun 2009 09:12

hammond idn't going to say we've got tons of cash is he? otherwise clubs up their prices..he needs it to be public knowledge that we're skint even if we're not

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 11 Jun 2009 09:14

Starfish I posted an article on the Unfounded Rumours & Gossip page earlier today that links Reading with Lee Bowyer pretty strongly.

Expect better from you Starfish. AE fishing at its worst.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jun 2009 09:16

our major priority SHOULD be getting the defensive midfielder we HAVE NOT HAD ever since Sidwell left

sidders wasnt a defensive midfielder was he?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Jun 2009 09:31

brendywendy
our major priority SHOULD be getting the defensive midfielder we HAVE NOT HAD ever since Sidwell left

sidders wasnt a defensive midfielder was he?

If he was then he needs a good telling off for spending so much time in the opposition penalty area scoring goals!

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 11 Jun 2009 09:33

Einstein agogo hammond idn't going to say we've got tons of cash is he? otherwise clubs up their prices..he needs it to be public knowledge that we're skint even if we're not

The trouble with that theory is that past seasons events have pretty much mirrored what is being said by Hammond now.

Last season. Big(ish) money sales of Sonko, Kitson, Shorey etc, £10,000,000 parachute payments and profit from the previous Premiership season. Money spent on players? Chris Armstrong £600,000, Noel Hunt £600,000 (I think) and Jay Tabb £300,000 plus a few loan signings, Little, Kitson and Harding.

Not even got the excuse of 'ground development costs' that were trotted out this time last year.

Any players that are not 'cheap and cheerful' or on a Bosman will not, I think, be coming to the Mad Stad in the near future.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Jun 2009 09:37

Northern Git Would be interesting to see the Report and Accounts from the last couple of seasons to see just how well we have (or have not) done financially. Not expecting them anytime soon tho' as the figures for the last Premiership season are conspicuous by their absence.

The last couple of seasons includes the last Premiership season so I suspect there is a confusion here.

I'm also fairly sure the figures for that season have been around for some time and the figures for last season aren't even due yet !

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jun 2009 09:39

but does a profit in one year offset years of lossmaking?

is it right to spend all the money when we still have debts?

is it right to spend the last years parachute money all on players and wages, or is it sensible save it, setting yourself up so you are not affected when the parachutes stop?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Jun 2009 09:54

brendywendy but does a profit in one year offset years of lossmaking?

is it right to spend all the money when we still have debts?

is it right to spend the last years parachute money all on players and wages, or is it sensible save it, setting yourself up so you are not affected when the parachutes stop?

In order;

No, not necessarily, it depends on which profit we are discussing. An operating profit might result in a nett loss after interest and tax payments etc.

Yes, no successful business would expect to live without borrowing money against its assets and/or goodwill.

.. and that is part of what I meant above. They don't (or shouldn't) look at each lump of income as a separate asset, the whole finacial budget is done based on all income and all outgoings, not matching parachute payments to players, and ST sales to stadium rebuilds etc.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 11 Jun 2009 09:59

maybe we should loan in someone like macheda for the season...

773 posts