What are we here for?

238 posts
Carlin20

Re: What are we here for?

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:17

Alan Partridge
Carlin20
Thaumagurist* Yes, we have won some things. :roll:

If you're only on here to wind up, I suggest that you piss off right this minute.

Bigger than those 2?

Southampton will probably get 20,000 in league 1. 27 years top flight, good facilities etc etc

Pompey have the 5th highest tickets in the prem, still averaged only 300 empty seats last season. New ground = many more fans. Apperantly Pompey have 9,000 st waiting list. Only thing you have on Pompey is stadium and that's not for long.

Southampton haven't had that sort of average for a couple of seasons now, probably since their first season in the championship, unless they are at the top of the league like Leicester their crowds won't be anywhere near that. I quite like Southampton for what it's worth, decent club, lovely stadium, always a harmless and genuinely decent trip always had a soft spot for them in the Premiership and I hope they can sort themselves out for the coming season.

As for Portsmouth if they have 9000 on a waiting list, why did they rarely ever sella game out last season, seems a bit bizarre. A ramshackle horror of a stadium with fans that are about as welcoming and charming as Nazi Germany. We even let them beat us every time we play them yet they are still a bunch of c*nts.

Yes Pompey did, averaged 20,000 for fifteen out of 19 games.

As I say, you will be worthy to rival these clubs when you win something :lol:

boy1985

by boy1985 » 30 Jun 2009 15:18

Who gives a fcuk who is bigger than who?

I couldn't care less if we are the 'worlds smallest club' as long as we get promotion.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jun 2009 15:18

Carlin20 Well you don't have the potential. Southampton get big crowds in l1 id suspect, Pompey have a massive catchment area. 300,000 turn up for the fa cup win alone!

they got 13,200 for a game against sheff united last season :lol: :lol:

MASSIVE crowds.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Jun 2009 15:18

Carlin20 I've heard Reading fans say they're as big and bigger than Pompey and Southampton. :lol:

Pompey - 4 major trophies, many finals and lower league titles

Southampton - top flight 27 years

Reading are a joke. No history at all

Define "history".

"Big" I don't care about, it's pretty meaningless other than underlining just how much of a mess teams like Saints are in.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Jun 2009 15:20

CMRoyal
Carlin20 Reading are a joke. No history at all

Define "history".

If 138 years of being in existence is no history at all, then I don't know.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:22

Thaumagurist*
CMRoyal
Carlin20 Reading are a joke. No history at all

Define "history".

If 138 years of being in existence is no history at all, then I don't know.

Of course that's a history and credit it to you for that.

But I've met MANY Reading fans, and know some at work, who seem to think they can match these and many other clubs.

Infact, clubs like Huddersfield who've won 3x champs of england 1 fa cup are bigger than Reading.

Trophies are priceless

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jun 2009 15:22

Even back in teh 1980s Robert Maxwell said that a succesful club in teh Thames Valley could be a licence to print money - the catchment area for Reading potentially strecthes from just outside West London virtually to Bristol, and from North Hampshire arguably up to Banbury/Warwick - with good communications links in all four directions. That also takes in some of the most affluent areas in the UK., with numerous technology indutries in the area ensuring prosperity.

And yes, while Portsmouth and Southampton are big conurbations with a tradition of good support, they both have the disadvantage that their catchment area to the South entends only as far as the coastline, and they are so close to each that the other team imposes a "border" on their catchment area in that direction. Also, each location only has one good transport link it - to/from the NE in both cases. Plus, in both locations the traditional industries are in decline and largely have yet to be replaced.

However, having the potential and being able to exploit it are two different things - but if we're just talking about potential from a marketing and demographic point of view then Reading is ideally placed.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jun 2009 15:23

It wasn't too long ago pompey played reading in front of 9,000 at fratton park in the 90's.

On top of that, southamptons attendance was less than readings last season and continues to decrease, no loyalty at all. 13k for a home game against a club that finished top 6 is woeful.

This carlin dude is some 17 year old 6th form kid with no idea about football. ignore him.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:24

Dirk Gently Even back in teh 1980s Robert Maxwell said that a succesful club in teh Thames Valley could be a licence to print money - the catchment area for Reading potentially strecthes from just outside West London virtually to Bristol, and from North Hampshire arguably up to Banbury/Warwick - with good communications links in all four directions. That also takes in some of the most affluent areas in the UK., with numerous technology indutries in the area ensuring prosperity.

And yes, while Portsmouth and Southampton are big conurbations with a tradition of good support, they both have the disadvantage that their catchment area to the South entends only as far as the coastline, and they are so close to each that the other team imposes a "border" on their catchment area in that direction. Also, each location only has one good transport link it - to/from the NE in both cases. Plus, in both locations the traditional industries are in decline and largely have yet to be replaced.

However, having the potential and being able to exploit it are two different things - but if we're just talking about potential from a marketing and demographic point of view then Reading is ideally placed.

I totally disagree. You didn't even sellout for the playoff semi v Burnley. 5k empty seats.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jun 2009 15:24

Carlin20 Trophies are priceless

Only for supporters and their memories. They don't pay any bills.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:24

FiNeRaIn It wasn't too long ago pompey played reading in front of 9,000 at fratton park in the 90's.

On top of that, southamptons attendance was less than readings last season and continues to decrease, no loyalty at all. 13k for a home game against a club that finished top 6 is woeful.

This carlin dude is some 17 year old 6th form kid with no idea about football. ignore him.

You don't get it, do you? It's about trophies and success.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 30 Jun 2009 15:25

I'll let people argue about size in terms of stadia, fanbase and ambition, but history is really irritating. Southampton and Leeds have a lot more history than us. Great help that is to them now.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jun 2009 15:25

Carlin20
Dirk Gently Even back in teh 1980s Robert Maxwell said that a succesful club in teh Thames Valley could be a licence to print money - the catchment area for Reading potentially strecthes from just outside West London virtually to Bristol, and from North Hampshire arguably up to Banbury/Warwick - with good communications links in all four directions. That also takes in some of the most affluent areas in the UK., with numerous technology indutries in the area ensuring prosperity.

I totally disagree. You didn't even sellout for the playoff semi v Burnley. 5k empty seats.

Read what I said - especially the last paragraph - and come back when you understand the meaning of the word "potential".

Y25

by Y25 » 30 Jun 2009 15:26

It was inevitable but now it's happened I've been on a right downer today.

Even more so as I know no where near 50% of the fee will be spent on new players.

I hope bringing the kids through policy works.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:26

rhroyal I'll let people argue about size in terms of stadia, fanbase and ambition, but history is really irritating. Southampton and Leeds have a lot more history than us. Great help that is to them now.

So if Villa or Spurs, with their history, hypothetically, were to reduce to a 15k stadium, in league 2, they'd not be considered bigger than you?

Give over.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Jun 2009 15:28

Carlin20 Infact, clubs like Huddersfield who've won 3x champs of england 1 fa cup are bigger than Reading.

I disagree. They won those trophies in the 1930's, didn't they? And what have they done since then and where are they currently?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Jun 2009 15:29

Carlin20
FiNeRaIn It wasn't too long ago pompey played reading in front of 9,000 at fratton park in the 90's.

You don't get it, do you? It's about trophies and success.

...which I guess is why Southampton and Portsmouth usually get grouped in with Reading by fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester Utd, Chelsea, etc etc...

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 30 Jun 2009 15:31

Pompey chav keyboard warrior. Enough said.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:31

Look, all I'm saying is having a few major trophies makes a big club.

Reading could finish top 6 in the prem for next 10 years, and wolves/Pompey/west ham/burnley be in league 2, but you still wouldn't be as big or classed as big.

Hand on heart, despite being a good club, I don't think hand on heart you can say you're as big or well known as Pompey, Southampton or any club with a number of trophie(s).

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Jun 2009 15:32

Carlin20
rhroyal I'll let people argue about size in terms of stadia, fanbase and ambition, but history is really irritating. Southampton and Leeds have a lot more history than us. Great help that is to them now.

So if Villa or Spurs, with their history, hypothetically, were to reduce to a 15k stadium, in league 2, they'd not be considered bigger than you?

Give over.

Elvis is 'bigger' than Pete Docherty, but he doesn't get to shag Kate Moss. Get over yourself, it's a meaningless word.

238 posts