The perspective thread.

230 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: The perspective thread.

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2009 23:45

cmonurz And my 'issue' with this thread is that, barring a couple of usual suspects and one or two drunkards, this board is not in any way full of people proclaiming that all is 'awful simply because we lost to a very strong and experinced Newcastle team.'

As always, the majority of posts are reasoned arguments.

Try reading the match thread.

Look..all I was trying to point out in my opening post was how strong this Newcastle line up was, the transitional period we're in, and emphasising the need for patience.

There is obviously need for changes. Mills, Harper, Matejovsky and (hopefully) Smith all need to come in for the Swansea game. But there is still promise in that team, highlighted by the first half performance (well, some of it anyway).

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Aug 2009 23:48

cmonurz And my 'issue' with this thread is that, barring a couple of usual suspects and one or two drunkards, this board is not in any way full of people proclaiming that all is 'awful simply because we lost to a very strong and experinced Newcastle team.'

It is now, but you've come to the board late tonight. As the game was in its dying throes, there were double figures of threads essentially declaring the apocalypse. Most of them were wisely ushered away into obscurity one way or another. The remark about self-congratulation was about the usual suspects and you don't have to read very far to find glaring examples. Can you quote me one instance, just one, of someone posting tonight who fits this decription: "The self-congratulation taking place on this thread is in the posts of those already bleating that some fans may dare to question decisions made by a new management team"?

Jinx

by Jinx » 15 Aug 2009 23:54

Nail. Head. Firmly hit Arch.

Those with genuine concerns have waited a few hours to come on and post and avoid the knee-jerk tossers.

I admire Winchesters optimism :)

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Aug 2009 23:56

That's my take on winchester's original post, Arch. Perhaps not completely fair, but that's what I meant by that bit.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 Aug 2009 23:58

Arch

It is now, but you've come to the board late tonight. As the game was in its dying throes, there were double figures of threads essentially declaring the apocalypse. Most of them were wisely ushered away into obscurity one way or another. The remark about self-congratulation was about the usual suspects and you don't have to read very far to find glaring examples. Can you quote me one instance, just one, of someone posting tonight who fits this decription: "The self-congratulation taking place on this thread is in the posts of those already bleating that some fans may dare to question decisions made by a new management team"?

Think you are exaggerating things somewhat Arch. Those of us daring to voice our concerns recognise the nice style of play Rodgers side are providing but it was a naive performance. The younger players need experienced pros to play alongside to learn from. There also needs to be some steel and grit as we will need to be able to mix it with other teams. Rodgers seems to want to put an immediate stamp on the side rather than gradually make changes. It seems a bit drastic to me to bring so many academy players into the first team.
There is plenty of promise but we do need it to be backed up with some nous.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Aug 2009 23:59

Arch

Arch - I normally enjoy your posts, but that was just patronising.

As previously key members of the squad have been sold off, to be replaced with by youth players - with little experience being brought in, anyone who has expressed concern has been shouted down as being negative and not on message. Well sorry, in a very difficult away game only a fool has international players on the bench and plays the academy team.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 16 Aug 2009 00:00

moo
Archies Volley II
moo What if they dont 'come good'?

Whats plan B?

Introduce some experience into the starting team maybe

Say players like N. Hunt, Harper, Ingi - once they are fully match fit after missing most / all of pre-season

Hunt and Harper both played today... Hunt is hardly prolific, Harper we tried to sell and some suggest has 'lost it' and Ingi is another one this forum claimed was 'past it', and then he got injured...and at the end of the season these same morons decided his absence was the reason we didnt get promoted.

Hardly a Plan B trying a couple of different players.

Hunt and Harper both came on when it was too late

Harper, yes we accepted a bid but do we (I mean the management team at the club) actually want to get rid? I don't know. Did he miss some of pre-season? Yes.

Hunt is not match fit to start a game.

Ingi will be first choice once fit.

Our team today picked itself from those available who are fit enough to start.

You asked what the clubs plan b might be - I suggest something and you say it cannot work as this forum claim it will not work! Great argument.......

What do you suggest plan b should be?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Aug 2009 00:01

cmonurz That's my take on winchester's original post, Arch. Perhaps not completely fair, but that's what I meant by that bit.

If that was your take on my post then fair enough. It wasn't what I was going for; in fact I thought there were a number of errors made by BR both in team selection and tactics during the match.

What I was trying to do was express my objection to tits like Sir Tosser Royal coming on here bleating that relegation is nigh. Today wasn't great, but we knew when Rodgers was appointed that days like this would come. Newcastle are a strong side and the youngsters were caught cold, but there is no need for the over-reaction from some of the posters on here. We still have some talented youngsters, we are still trying to play football the right way, we still need a couple of new faces, and it will still take time.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 16 Aug 2009 00:03

winchester_royal
cmonurz That's my take on winchester's original post, Arch. Perhaps not completely fair, but that's what I meant by that bit.

If that was your take on my post then fair enough. It wasn't what I was going for; in fact I thought there were a number of errors made by BR both in team selection and tactics during the match.

What I was trying to do was express my objection to tits like Sir Tosser Royal coming on here bleating that relegation is nigh. Today wasn't great, but we knew when Rodgers was appointed that days like this would come. Newcastle are a strong side and the youngsters were caught cold, but there is no need for the over-reaction from some of the posters on here. We still have some talented youngsters, we are still trying to play football the right way, we still need a couple of new faces, and it will still take time.

WR. Thats fair comment but its pretty much what some of us accused of being kee-jerk have said.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Aug 2009 00:07

IMO the Knee-Jerkers were the ones claiming that the team we put out there today would get relegated. Now I can't say for sure that it wouldn't be relegated. I personally don't think it would...but that's my opinion. What I can say for sure is that it's far too early to make a full judgement on that team, and to reach such a conclusion based on a match against a quality Toon side in infront of 40,000 passionate Geordies is laughable.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2009 00:08

winchester_royal What I was trying to do was express my objection to tits like Sir Tosser Royal coming on here bleating that relegation is nigh.

Why on earth would you want to waste your (metaphorical) breath by doing that - it's exactly what he wants! Just ignore him - DAD.

Do you also enjoy smacking your head against brick walls?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Aug 2009 00:09

winchester_royal

That's what I got, and it seems to be a matter of what perceptual mood you're in. SDR, Thou Voice, to start with Finerain (who characteristically pulled himself together into some powerfully effective and reasonable criticism), and a couple of others went straight for "I told you so", as if one game in which the vast majority agree mistakes were made and weaknesses exposed was enough to damn a whole philosophy. I'm sorry to seem patronizing, and I realize many people find SDR gorgeously witty and entertaining, but it pisses me of to high heaven when people only post when things are going badly and are never heard from when things are going well. Just what the hell is that all about?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 16 Aug 2009 00:11

Of course its daft to talk about relegation at this stage. The table starts taking shape after about 10 games.
As long as we dont struggle to avoid relegation this season then Rodgers will deserve to be properly judged next season. He does need to look at the entire balance of the side though. Not just in terms of personnel but the formation as well. Whether it be Shane Long or Simon Church they are living off scraps at the moment.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Aug 2009 00:12

Platypuss
winchester_royal What I was trying to do was express my objection to tits like Sir Tosser Royal coming on here bleating that relegation is nigh.

Why on earth would you want to waste your (metaphorical) breath by doing that - it's exactly what he wants! Just ignore him - DAD.

Actually telling SDR he's a fcukwit pussy is nothing at all like smacking your head against a brick wall. Maybe more like administering a damn good thrashing to a punch bag.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 16 Aug 2009 00:12

winchester_royal

Try reading the match thread.

Look..all I was trying to point out in my opening post was how strong this Newcastle line up was, the transitional period we're in, and emphasising the need for patience.

There is obviously need for changes. Mills, Harper, Matejovsky and (hopefully) Smith all need to come in for the Swansea game. But there is still promise in that team, highlighted by the first half performance (well, some of it anyway).

Now I'm not disputing using the youth and academy players, but when your oldest player in the starting line up is 25, you definitely need some experienced players to be in the squad at least and I've been thinking that a lot during pre-season. Yes we are in a transition period, but for it to happen effectively, some older heads are needed to help the progress. Do you really expect Davies, Church, and to an extent Karacan and Pearce, to be able to travel to St James' Park and know what to be in for? Think it would be fair to say that, despite the talent of our youth and the benefit of hindsight, BR got this match wrong in his selection. Harps, Matejovsky and Hunt should be starting regularly with Davies and Church/Robson-Kanu being given the odd start.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2009 00:12

There's also a world of difference between saying that we'll be relegated and saying that if we put out a side that plays like that all season we''ll be relegated.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Aug 2009 00:14

Platypuss There's also a world of difference between saying that we'll be relegated and saying that if we put out a side that plays like that all season we''ll be relegated.

A proposition both sides will make gleeful use of, no doubt.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2009 00:14

Arch
Platypuss

Actually telling SDR he's a fcukwit pussy is nothing at all like smacking your head against a brick wall. Maybe more like administering a damn good thrashing to a punch bag.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 16 Aug 2009 00:15

Totally agree RB. I'm struggling to understand how such inexperienced players are ahead in the pecking order of much more experienced players.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Aug 2009 00:18

Arch
winchester_royal

That's what I got, and it seems to be a matter of what perceptual mood you're in. SDR, Thou Voice, to start with Finerain (who characteristically pulled himself together into some powerfully effective and reasonable criticism), and a couple of others went straight for "I told you so", as if one game in which the vast majority agree mistakes were made and weaknesses exposed was enough to damn a whole philosophy. I'm sorry to seem patronizing, and I realize many people find SDR gorgeously witty and entertaining, but it pisses me of to high heaven when people only post when things are going badly and are never heard from when things are going well. Just what the hell is that all about?

as Reading fans we should be able to criticise as well as praise - and today the management's approach deserves the criticism - i just dont think our tactics and overall approach ie save money by using the youth team will see us anywhere other than in serious trouble

230 posts