DARREN O'DEA

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Re: DARREN O'DEA

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 13:19

Big Foot My Celtic supporting mate says

"I like Darren O'Dea, a good player for us. We don't understand why he's went out on loan! He's actually signed a new deal with us I believe ... but has went to Reading on loan. :|

Think he'll do well. "

This is a clever move by Celtic - should Reading want to sign him permanently, he's going to cost a whole lot more than if he hadn't signed his new improved contract ....back to the new contracts to Doyle and Hunt, when it was obvious that they were going to be shipped out.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Sep 2009 13:26

I don't think they would plan on selling him. Their back lack is shocking and I can't believe they are keeping loovens over him personally.
loovens was terrible when reading played cardiff a few years back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2009 13:27

Interesting. Could be either of Pearce or Mills out, neither have been exactly fantastic so far. Personally I' have had higher priorities elsewhere, but fair enough.

Ryn

by Ryn » 01 Sep 2009 13:29

Ian Royal Interesting. Could be either of Pearce or Mills out, neither have been exactly fantastic so far. Personally I' have had higher priorities elsewhere, but fair enough.

I agree with you Ian.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 13:30

Ian Royal Interesting. Could be either of Pearce or Mills out, neither have been exactly fantastic so far. Personally I' have had higher priorities elsewhere, but fair enough.

Well lets hope its not Mills!!! or else there will be mutterings of the other £2m failures to wear the Reading shirt - Fae and Halford --is the £2m transfer fee a curse for Reading id be asking ...im sure the chairman would be saying yes yes yes!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2009 13:32

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Well lets hope its not Mills!!! or else there will be mutterings of the other £2m failures to wear the Reading shirt - Fae and Halford --is the £2m transfer fee a curse for Reading id be asking ...im sure the chairman would be saying yes yes yes!!

He's not going to be a failure like they are. He may not live up to expectations, but he'll be alright.

MalcybabyRFC

by MalcybabyRFC » 01 Sep 2009 13:33

Hogmeister Royal
MalcybabyRFC
shoey He will be a starter for celtic in the future, and a captain.

He is on loan till Jan

Although its always nice to have a talented player at Reading on the flip side it almost seems like a pretty pointless excersise.
By the sounds of things this wont ever turn into a loan 2 buy move if all goes well, and by placing the likes of Pearce on the bench till Jan will only isolate IMHO a quality loyal royal player.

After he's gone then what? The remaining half season with the back 4 having to adjust again to a Pearce being back in the squad.
Sorry not to jump on the happy wagon like everyone else but just being realistic - still tho shows Rodgers has his fingers in more pies than we all first thought!!!

Press say that it's a loan until Jan with a view to a season-long loan unless Mowbray needs him back, so it'll probably (hopefully) be for the whole season. I think it's a good move - we needed some cover and he gives us that and if he's good enough he starts - and the same goes for Pearce (and others). O'Dea and Bertrand are the right sort of players to bring in on loan, I think - ones that we couldn't have afforded to buy permanently, but can bring in some more quality for this (clearly transitional) season.

Of course, once we're promoted they may think again about joining us after all. :wink:

Fair shout, although I couldnt see either Bertrand or O'Dea choosing us over Chelsea or Celtic. Bertrand is rated as the next Ashley Cole and O'Dea is highly regarded as a future face of Celtic (potentially captain material). Both with the prospect of big money and champions league footie, it would be a painful switch for them both. I love your optimism however and lets face it if we were to reach promotion then premier league football as a starting player is also an attractive option. :|

Ryn

by Ryn » 01 Sep 2009 13:41

Trouble is by the time we get Premier League football again they will both be too old :?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2009 14:27

Slightly amusing that Mackay had supposedly been trying to get him to go to Watford - especially when the player himself says: "This is a massive chance for me to go and play for a good club like Reading and prove my worth and then come back here and obviously try and do the same here.

“Brendan Rodgers, who is the manager at Reading, had tried to get me before when he was at Watford and I know a lot about him. I've spoken to him and he's a great manager.”

One Watford wag posted: "Have no fear, he will divert to the South Coast en route from Glasgow..."

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 01 Sep 2009 14:31

PlasticRoyale
Royal With Cheese
FiNeRaIn I don't believe this, ffs.

FACT.

He's bringing his potatoes and Balaclava with him. :roll:

TWAT

:?:

79Royal

by 79Royal » 01 Sep 2009 14:55

Genuine question, if Pearce were dropped, who would our captain on the pitch? Would Brendan drop his vice captain for a short term loan signing, when the club captain is out injured? Perhaps Bertrand is in line for the chop? Not sure. Good signing given his talent and experience, but as you say, there are priorities elsewhere.

EDIT: What I mean to question is whether O'Dea is more likely to feature at LB. I didn't mean Bertrand would be dropped indefinitely.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 01 Sep 2009 15:04

Sorry RWC, i read it wrong. Was actually coming back to delete my comments

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 01 Sep 2009 15:09

79Royal

Genuine question, if Pearce were dropped, who would our captain on the pitch? Would Brendan drop his vice captain for a short term loan signing, when the club captain is out injured? Perhaps Bertrand is in line for the chop? Not sure. Good signing given his talent and experience, but as you say, there are priorities elsewhere.

EDIT: What I mean to question is whether O'Dea is more likely to feature at LB. I didn't mean Bertrand would be dropped indefinitely.

Bring in a loan signing to replace a loan signing?

Good move.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 01 Sep 2009 15:13

Negative_Jeff Is this player left footed?

BAN THIS SECTARIAN FILTH

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 01 Sep 2009 15:31

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:07

79Royal

Depending on who plays, one of Gunnar, Harper, Rasiak, Mills, or NHunt would be my bet.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:29

I'm completely non-plussed by this signing.

It means that I don't have ground-shaking expectations that will only be dashed when reality hits home.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 01 Sep 2009 16:39

Pearce out

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 01 Sep 2009 20:42

Ryn Maybe he'll play left back, with Bertrand playing left wing, seeing as we have no other left winger.

left wing? we just signed Jobi Mc'Anuff.. doesn't he play there?

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 01 Sep 2009 21:22

Negative_Jeff Is this player left footed? If so a great asset as a centre back, there are not many around.

Very droll, you may have whooshed the majority of the folks on here! 8)