Coppell - Can He Save Us???

222 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Coppell - Can He Save Us???

by Royalee » 13 Sep 2009 11:57

If you were actually there yesterday Ideal, you'd have seen that we didn't pass the ball enough and as a result were less effective. It's all about getting the right balance and we'll get there.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 13 Sep 2009 12:08

[quote=]

Exactly, and it is not only the formation - but also the STYLE of play, where we pass the ball sideways too much and rarely seem to threaten when going forward. There is NIL end product.

There is much less of a chance of scoring once the opponent team has a chance to establish an organized defensive situation. When you pass the ball sideways a lot, this leaves the opponent team with plenty of time to get back in defence.[/quote]

I agree..regardless of the formation the main problem seems to be that outlook is cautious imo and even if the team does start winning we are going to see 1-0 or 2-1 games with very few chances for either team. Not much entertainment in that. I know we also go to see our team win but I want to see them going forward consistently and entertaining us and if that means a few more chances for the opposition so be it.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2009 12:11

It's weird I seem to have inadvertently joined the STG crowd :|

Have never agreed with Fine Rain, Floyde, Ideal and others but do now.

Still willing to give Rodgers time. Just not sure I like the way things are going...

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 Sep 2009 12:26

Same here Archie. I have never classed myself as an RTG or an STG but I am definitely much more negative about things this season.Partly because of the excessive player turnover, appalling handling of James Harper, team formation and Rodgers silly statements. However he deserves a chance and 6 games in is way too early to be calling for his head. It doesn't mean we cannot criticise when things are going wrong though.
A good win against Cardiff will put us up to mid-table which will look a lot better.....but the trend does seem to going down for now and if we lose on Wednesday its going to look a bit iffy with some tricky away games coming up.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2009 12:35

Yep.

I dislike the way Rodger's dealt with the Tommy Smith situation, him making those comments :| I suppose we have to put it down to youth and enthusiasm. I mean he's only 7 years older than me and I say stupid things very often!

And the Harps thing. Ridiculous way to treat a player who's been, and I know it's a cliche, the heart and soul of the club for 9 years.

And finally I was always a fan of Madejski, I believed in the way he was running the club. After this summer I have lost faith in him, I mean even getting rid of Rosenior has got on my goat.

It's going to take a while to win me back. I suppose it will happen when Rodgers gets down to work and stops spouting platitudes. And when he gets his settled team.

At the moment the club is in disarray. It's not quite Portsmouth levels but it's getting close. I mean if you look at the team the fans have so few players they can bond with. We still have Gunnar, Hunt and Karacan (I have never liked Pearce) but us and the Pompey fans have a lot in common.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 13 Sep 2009 12:57

Archie if you're talking disarray mate, try Palarse or Ipswitch. Tranmere even.

Where's the patience gone these days? Yesterday had a draw written all over it. Bring on the Taffs.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2009 12:59

It's not that I don't have patience - I just am a bit fed up.

But time to stop commenting and wait for Cardiff.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 13 Sep 2009 13:18

LOL Archie. I take it you're in that place known as 'seriously underwhelmed' at the moment.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Sep 2009 15:29

PEARCEY
Ideal
Madstad to Nadderud we have entered the world of Tommy Burns football again!

And Tommy Burns transfer policies!

Well he bought Graeme Murty and Nicky Forster who both proved outstanding signings. It was Burns misfortune that both barely played under him due to injury.

He also dispossed of alot of players he inherited in favour of his less capable new signings. He even made them outcasts and forced them to train with the reserves, His most serious crime was trying to get rid of Parky to Wycombe.

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 13 Sep 2009 16:54

Seriously. I've generally stopped posting my views on anything football related on this site because so much rubbish gets spewed out it just isn't worth reading, and a lot of this thread is the same.

For 2 seasons now, most of the board have been doing nothing but bitch about how useless we were, and how Coppell's tactics had got stale, and we needed a change. Well, people asked for it, and they got it. A new maager, and pretty much an entirely new team, inclusive of all the kids who everyone wanted to see so much. That useless waste of space Hahnemann who was clearly well past it is now gone, Stephen "money grabbing bastard" Hunt is gone, James "Can't do anything but pass a ball sideways" Harper is gone, etc etc.

Now we have all the changes everyone wanted, and we haven't got off to a good start. Quick, lets panic and remember how good it was before.

The facts are simple people - Coppell, as great a manager as he was oversaw us win all of 2 home games in the second half of the 07/08 season, and likewise, 2 home wins in the back half of the 08/09 season. For those of you who forget, our last home win was January 27th.

To be calling Coppells direct style of play what we need now is a joke. I don't think his style would offer us anything anymore, as it hasn't worked effectively since the 06/07 season - people know how to play against it, and we haven't had a collective team with the passion, enthusiasm or drive to play that way since Sidwell left (not that his leaving has caused that, but since he went, it's been a downwards spiral).

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2009 17:01

Darren Caskey's Dietician Seriously. I've generally stopped posting my views on anything football related on this site because so much rubbish gets spewed out it just isn't worth reading, and a lot of this thread is the same.

For 2 seasons now, most of the board have been doing nothing but bitch about how useless we were, and how Coppell's tactics had got stale, and we needed a change. Well, people asked for it, and they got it. A new maager, and pretty much an entirely new team, inclusive of all the kids who everyone wanted to see so much. That useless waste of space Hahnemann who was clearly well past it is now gone, Stephen "money grabbing bastard" Hunt is gone, James "Can't do anything but pass a ball sideways" Harper is gone, etc etc.

Now we have all the changes everyone wanted, and we haven't got off to a good start. Quick, lets panic and remember how good it was before.

The facts are simple people - Coppell, as great a manager as he was oversaw us win all of 2 home games in the second half of the 07/08 season, and likewise, 2 home wins in the back half of the 08/09 season. For those of you who forget, our last home win was January 27th.

To be calling Coppells direct style of play what we need now is a joke. I don't think his style would offer us anything anymore, as it hasn't worked effectively since the 06/07 season - people know how to play against it, and we haven't had a collective team with the passion, enthusiasm or drive to play that way since Sidwell left (not that his leaving has caused that, but since he went, it's been a downwards spiral).

Good post I agree in general.

Doesn't mean I can't be negative about things as they are at the moment.

I was positive for the last two years when everyone was negative.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Sep 2009 17:20

Darren Caskey's Dietician Seriously. I've generally stopped posting my views on anything football related on this site because so much rubbish gets spewed out it just isn't worth reading, and a lot of this thread is the same.

Spot on.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Sep 2009 19:59

floyd__streete Bring back Heaven 11. Were you the bloke who always reckoned RFC should play at Winnersh or was that Barney Rubble? Either way, I loved you both.

Now THAT is stalking, Voyeur.

That was me, but happily (for you) you have failed to recall that I wanted the club to relocate to Loddon Bridge Road in Woodley.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Sep 2009 21:43

bobbybottler That was me, but happily (for you) you have failed to recall that I wanted the club to relocate to Loddon Bridge Road in Woodley.

IN for that, much nearer for me.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Sep 2009 17:52

floyd__streete I am not interested in the poll question, totally irrelevant as far as I am concerned; in the grand scheme of thing who gives a sh*t what the manager says after the game, as if it is ever going to be anything of earth-shattering interest. What I am wondering is.....who is the worst poster on HNA, Slammed or winchester_royal? I think it must be the latter, after all he somehow manages to be the second person to use that username which in itself is quite some feat :|

Put the handbag away floyd. :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2009 19:21

SLAMMED
floyd__streete I am not interested in the poll question, totally irrelevant as far as I am concerned; in the grand scheme of thing who gives a sh*t what the manager says after the game, as if it is ever going to be anything of earth-shattering interest. What I am wondering is.....who is the worst poster on HNA, Slammed or winchester_royal? I think it must be the latter, after all he somehow manages to be the second person to use that username which in itself is quite some feat :|

Oh come on!

Snowball has that market cornered. And there are plenty worse than W_R and Slammed.

Ok a few.

Well maybe one or two....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Sep 2009 19:30

Ian Royal
SLAMMED

Oh come on!

Snowball has that market cornered. And there are plenty worse than W_R and Slammed.

Ok a few.

Well maybe one or two....

Such as yourself for example...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2009 19:32

You're so pROFLedictable.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Sep 2009 19:35

Ian Royal You're so pROFLedictable.

LOL @ a middle aged man using ROFL.

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 14 Sep 2009 19:40

Im getting bored of these people complaining about having to pay and so on and on and on... if you feel that compassionately about it, dont turn up. P*ss off. And go glory support a club that's in a higher position. :|

222 posts