Shaun Cummings

223 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Shaun Cummings

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Sep 2009 09:45

The whole year inn
It just doesn't make sense - he looks like a Golden Gamble winner that has won 90 minutes with the first team

Is that the prize for a winning ticket? I didn't know...........................

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Sep 2009 09:47

Maguire Michael Mancienne has been in the England squad. Sam Hutchinson has played in the Premier League for Chelsea this season.

Not that I think you've asked a very good question tbh.

I'd give you Michael Mancienne, but Sam Hutchinson? He's not exactly proven himself yet has he!

The obvious other graduate that looks up to a decent standard is Jack Cork, but I don't think that's a great return by anyone's standard. By decent standard I mean capable of playing in the top two tiers, not being world class.

As for Cummings, I agree with those that say he needs a bit of time. He hasn't done much wrong but he is just always on the periphery of things and even as a full back you need to stamp some authority of the game, but last night, when he wasn't being invisable he just looked too scared to get involved.

Time will tell if he's going to be any good, but I'd still have Rosenoir down as a much better player right now.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Sep 2009 09:49

i wouldnt have rosenior as much better
about the same IMO, but cummings has room for improvement, whereas rosenior was going to be like that till he retired.

still looks nervous to me, and worried about being caught out of position

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 17 Sep 2009 10:01

Hoop Blah
Maguire Michael Mancienne has been in the England squad. Sam Hutchinson has played in the Premier League for Chelsea this season.

I'd give you Michael Mancienne, but Sam Hutchinson? He's not exactly proven himself yet has he!

The obvious other graduate that looks up to a decent standard is Jack Cork, but I don't think that's a great return by anyone's standard. By decent standard I mean capable of playing in the top two tiers, not being world class.

As for Cummings, I agree with those that say he needs a bit of time. He hasn't done much wrong but he is just always on the periphery of things and even as a full back you need to stamp some authority of the game, but last night, when he wasn't being invisable he just looked too scared to get involved.

Time will tell if he's going to be any good, but I'd still have Rosenoir down as a much better player right now.

Well said, but even Mancienne is clutching at straws in my opinion, considering Mag's "prestigious footballing education" line. He's a ropey player who is far from the finishes article. Most have just fallen for the hype, but have any of you seen this fella play more than half-a-dozen times?

I've named the only two successful academy graduates from Chelsea that I can think of, those being Terry and Cole. So there is no evidence to conclude that Cummings should be some sort of world-beater, because Chelsea simply don't produce their own youngsters - they pinch everyone elses!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Sep 2009 10:37

brendywendy i wouldnt have rosenior as much better
about the same IMO, but cummings has room for improvement, whereas rosenior was going to be like that till he retired.

Each to their own, but Rosenoir, his media bleetings aside, was a pretty steady performer and despite the unfair criticism this season had started the season well.

He was better in both attack and defence in every game this season than Cummings and looked much more assured and capable of contributing to a decent side this season. As I said earlier, I'd give Cummings time before writing him off, and I agree he has potential to improve, but then so does any player, especially one that isn't doing too well, but he just looks like he's out of his depth at the moment. A bit like Kebe did, and still does!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Sep 2009 10:47

Hoop Blah
brendywendy i wouldnt have rosenior as much better

Each to their own, but Rosenoir, his media bleetings aside, was a pretty steady performer and despite the unfair criticism this season had started the season well.

He was better in both attack and defence in every game this season than Cummings and looked much more assured and capable of contributing to a decent side this season. As I said earlier, I'd give Cummings time before writing him off, and I agree he has potential to improve, but then so does any player, especially one that isn't doing too well, but he just looks like he's out of his depth at the moment. A bit like Kebe did, and still does!

Cummings hasn't fallen over once - Resenior's inablity to choose boots that let him stay upright were, arguably, one of the reasosn we went down. His slips certainly cost us 3 or 4 crucial goals.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Sep 2009 10:52

To be honest in cummings i've seen a player who defensively is looking pretty sound, sure i've only seen him twice but he seems to get blocks in, can tackle, gets in the way of passes (which means he can read the game despite what others say).

He just looks concerned about getting out of position and attacking. That will change, after some encouragement from the crowd he did take on their full back and win us a corner last night. I really think that's all he needs more encouragement to get forward with pace when he has the space. At the moment he looks for the pass as soon as he gets the ball. In the same position Bertrand will go for a run.
Last edited by ZacNaloen on 17 Sep 2009 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 17 Sep 2009 10:54

floyd__streete
Para Handy Floyd. I like you a lot mate.. But I'm getting the feeling that you're not keeping the faith here.

Hello Para. I get this feeling with Rodgers that he might be the footballing Peter Mandelson; all rhetoric and soundbites, precious little to back it up.

Which of our players is the avocado dip? :|

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 17 Sep 2009 11:43

Gordons Cumming
The whole year inn
It just doesn't make sense - he looks like a Golden Gamble winner that has won 90 minutes with the first team

Is that the prize for a winning ticket? I didn't know...........................

It will be if we don't win a game at home soon!

Cummings looks nervous.

In attack again he didn't seem to want to go forward with the ball and despite playing the ball mostly back in to defence he still managed to give the ball away a couple of times. Also noticed that one time he gave Kebe the ball he just left him to scamper down the touchline on his own and wasn't even jogging to get forward an support him. Early on he scooped an overhead clearance straight up in the air in the penalty box. Another time the guy went past him and he looked decidedly lacking in pace?

Wasn't really impressed with his debut, not particularly impressed again. But hopefully that doesn't mean that he will never impress!

All the things above don't make a terrible performance even if you put them all together. But, having said that - put together they do make you wonder whether this guy is really as good as Rodgers thinks. It could be nerves and not wanting to make mistakes or it could be that he's just not as good as we probably all hoped he would be considering how impressive Bertrand has been and how we were led to believe we'd be getting the same at RB.

I think those who have said that he doesn't seem to have a football brain really can't be argued with from what has been seen SO FAR. Sometimes you could hear the cogs turning as he thought about what he wanted to be doing. It almost looked like he was second guessing things at times. But how much of that is nerves, knowing that the team hasn't won at home for an age, not wanting to be the guy who makes the mistake etc.

Maybe, and hopefully, given time he'll show us what he's really made of.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 17 Sep 2009 11:45

as I said when we signed him , MK Dons fans say he was the worst player they have seen at that level for years

utter shite

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Sep 2009 11:45

I think those who have said that he doesn't seem to have a football brain really can't be argued with from what has been seen SO FAR. Sometimes you could hear the cogs turning as he thought about what he wanted to be doing.

All of it.

He's done more good stuff than bad every time I've watched, he just needs encouragement when he has the ball particularly from the fans.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 17 Sep 2009 11:48

juanpablo as I said when we signed him , MK Dons fans say he was the worst player they have seen at that level for years

utter shite

There was me, basically trying to persuade myself that he was better than I thought he was and you go and burst my bubble!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2009 11:57

Thomas L'Heureux
Hoop Blah

Well said, but even Mancienne is clutching at straws in my opinion, considering Mag's "prestigious footballing education" line. He's a ropey player who is far from the finishes article. Most have just fallen for the hype, but have any of you seen this fella play more than half-a-dozen times?

I've named the only two successful academy graduates from Chelsea that I can think of, those being Terry and Cole. So there is no evidence to conclude that Cummings should be some sort of world-beater, because Chelsea simply don't produce their own youngsters - they pinch everyone elses!

How is Mancienne "clutching at straws"? You asked me to name someone "fairly successful". He's been in the England squad. I don't rate him as a player myself but I do consider getting selected for the national team to be "fairly successful", and a more than adequate response to your question.

The point is that Chelsea are a very successful club with great facilities, a broad scouting network, good coaches and are a compelling prospect for any young player who they approach. Cummings is 20 years old and joined Chelsea at the age of 12 (yes, I Googled that bit). That's 8 years in their system yet he treats a football like it might leap up and bite him at any moment.

My observation was merely that I'd have though someone who'd been in their academy for so long would be a bit more comfortable with the object ball at his feet. I'm absolutely certain he'll get better, no worries there, just isn't as good going forward as i'd hoped.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 17 Sep 2009 11:58

Cummings hasn't got a football brain. I lost count of the number of times Marek had possession of the ball in midfield and had no oulet to switch play to the right flank....we were at home FFS....with no natural wideman on the right and Cummings sticking rigidly on the half-way line until he got some bird from the crowd and pushed forward.
Last edited by PEARCEY on 17 Sep 2009 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2009 11:59

PEARCEY Cummings hasn't got a football brain. I lost count of the number of times Marek had possession of the ball in midfield and had no oulet to switch play to the right flank....we were at home FFS....with no natural wideman on the right and Cummings sticking rigidly on the hlaf-way line until he got some bird from the crowd and pushed forward.

Yes quite - if you've got a narrow midfield like we had then you need the full-backs to push forward and provide width when we're in possession. Betrand did it well last night, Cummings looked terrified of the opposition half. Brendon needs to give him a bit of encouragement.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 17 Sep 2009 12:00

ZacNaloen
I think those who have said that he doesn't seem to have a football brain really can't be argued with from what has been seen SO FAR. Sometimes you could hear the cogs turning as he thought about what he wanted to be doing.

All of it.

He's done more good stuff than bad every time I've watched, he just needs encouragement when he has the ball particularly from the fans.

Yeah I did neglect to mention that there were good things about his performance, although whether they outweighed the bad? Pretty hard to say as he didn't really do a huge amount.

I'm hoping he'll get better, and for what it's worth I'm sure he does have a footballing brain! I'd like to think that it's the pressure and nerves that is making him second guess himself and overthink and making him look a bit lost at times...

My observation was merely that I'd have though someone who'd been in their academy for so long would be a bit more comfortable with the object ball at his feet. I'm absolutely certain he'll get better, no worries there, just isn't as good going forward as i'd hoped.

agree with this myself but juanpablo's post about mkdons fans opinion of him doesn't fill me with optimism!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 17 Sep 2009 12:06

Yeah I did neglect to mention that there were good things about his performance, although whether they outweighed the bad? Pretty hard to say as he didn't really do a huge amount.

I'm hoping he'll get better, and for what it's worth I'm sure he does have a footballing brain! I'd like to think that it's the pressure and nerves that is making him second guess himself and overthink and making him look a bit lost at times...

He didn't cost us the game or come close to doing so, so I call it evens.

I can only see him getting better with some more confidence to attack.

I mean the only thing wrong I recall is that he didn't attack when he had the opportunity. defensively he put himself about and showed plenty of application and ability. After some encouragement he did attack and he showed pace and beat the full back. If starts doing that more then I can't see anyone being in a position to complain.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 17 Sep 2009 12:14

ZacNaloen

He didn't cost us the game or come close to doing so, so I call it evens.

I can only see him getting better with some more confidence to attack.

I mean the only thing wrong I recall is that he didn't attack when he had the opportunity. defensively he put himself about and showed plenty of application and ability. After some encouragement he did attack and he showed pace and beat the full back. If starts doing that more then I can't see anyone being in a position to complain.

Hopefully you're right because, as others have mentioned, if we play the same way we did last night (which I quite liked) then we definitely need him to give us the width on the right.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 17 Sep 2009 12:16

Maguire How is Mancienne "clutching at straws"? You asked me to name someone "fairly successful". He's been in the England squad. I don't rate him as a player myself but I do consider getting selected for the national team to be "fairly successful", and a more than adequate response to your question.

The point is that Chelsea are a very successful club with great facilities, a broad scouting network, good coaches and are a compelling prospect for any young player who they approach. Cummings is 20 years old and joined Chelsea at the age of 12 (yes, I Googled that bit). That's 8 years in their system yet he treats a football like it might leap up and bite him at any moment.

Fair point, well made. I think my own opinion of Mancienne encroached a bit because I think he's a shabby player compared to all the hype, but you're right, he's made a full England squad but in my opinion that was pretty astonishing. That said though, he's gifting Premiership strikers goals at the moment which El-Hadji Diouf can testify, so I guess he's done something right during his young career to be in such a position.

I think Cummings just lacks a bit of bottle at the moment. He seems apprehensive in terms of getting forward, and that could be for a number of reasons. I think the main problem is that he doesn't want to lose possession and then be at fault for conceding a goal because he's so isolated down the right. He got forward a bit more in the first half of yesterday's game, but in the second he was trembling whenever he approached the half-way line.

Hopefully his confidence will improve and he can join in with the more attacking aspects of our play, because whenever he's had the ball he's actually looked ok in my opinion.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 17 Sep 2009 12:18

He may never do it, he may well be too much of nervous wreck to make it.

But fact is he's twenty, and probably doesn't want the fans on his back seeing as it was fan encouragement that finally got him forward.

I wonder if he had a problem with the dons fans that knocked him a bit.

Also don't forget, Bertrand has more experience on loan at this level so he is going to be further along than Cummings anyway.

I seem to recall some Norwich fans questioning Bertrands ability whilst he was on loan there.

223 posts