Should a new keeper be a January priority?

WTRoyal

Re: Should a new keeper be a January priority?

by WTRoyal » 20 Oct 2009 00:38

To briefly answer the original question: IMHO, no.
Personally I would have preferred us to hang on to Hahnemann; for all his detractors on HNA? and in the press, and all his (apparent) faults, he still stands out as the best RFC 'keeper of recent years (though I'm sure someone will want to argue the definition of "recent" with me). Stack who? However, what's done is done, he was maybe too old, too "injury-prone" or too expensive, too late now, let's not dwell on the past, cliche cliche.
Moving forwards, AFed is a good 'keeper when he plays to the best of his ability - but, along with (seemingly) all the rest of the squad at the moment he does not have the consistency to play to the best of his ability throughout 90 minutes. That said, for a chunky bugger he's surprisingly agile and performs great reaction saves (and routine saves) which are currently keeping us from being (more) embarrassed.
I don't know much about Ben Hamer except that he's performed to a good standard in other leagues when on loan, but if we are only "allowed" to buy one player in the January window, I personally wouldn't suggest we should buy a goalkeeper. Personal doubts about Cummings' ability notwithstanding, I think we should look to the midfield for the biggest potential for a one-player change to influence RFC's overall game.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 20 Oct 2009 00:38

Because he's doing it in the WRONG way...

I am still not sure about him but he doesn't fill me with confidence that's for sure...

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Oct 2009 09:20

Ian Royal Funny thing is Federici was getting panned a few weeks ago for NOT coming off his line. Now he's getting panned for doing it.

Which tells me that his decision making skill are useless. Unfortunately for him that is also something that is very difficult to teach in training and it is unlikely to improve and will continue to cost us goals.

His ability to take crosses is something that can be worked on in training.......

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 20 Oct 2009 09:27

Based on reports i had direct from Brentford last year, we already have a better keeper at the club.