Back from the game - Cov Away

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Cov Away

by handbags_harris » 01 Nov 2009 21:19

strap
handbags_harris In short, a deserved win, but there are still signs of defensive vulnerability and naivety. Room for improvement, but a good performance.

If we play like this every week Dave, is it enough to keep us up come the end of the season?

We'll win as many as we lose. Whether or not that is enough to keep us up is subject to the other teams in and around us.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 02 Nov 2009 11:09

handbags_harris
strap
handbags_harris In short, a deserved win, but there are still signs of defensive vulnerability and naivety. Room for improvement, but a good performance.

If we play like this every week Dave, is it enough to keep us up come the end of the season?

We'll win as many as we lose. Whether or not that is enough to keep us up is subject to the other teams in and around us.

I'd say that would be enough to keep us up.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 Nov 2009 11:24

handbags_harris
strap

Well if we have 31 games left, I'll take 10w 11D 10L for another 41 pts, with the 13 we already have that'll give us 54, which equates to around 18th. That'll do for me!

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 02 Nov 2009 11:33

106 points is still on then.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Nov 2009 11:40

Negative_Jeff 106 points is still on then.

Yep

Just 31 consecutive wins.

Easy.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Nov 2009 11:48

Ian Royal Be warned, Coventry and Derby are abysmal at them moment due to injuries. Ipswich and ourselves do not have that excuse, although we're heading towards it at an alarming rate.

Derby and Coventry get their key players back, and they'll start picking up points. Which is why we have to capitalise on their poor form NOW and get up the table.

So other sides are allowed excuses when they lose but for us it's just because themanager is clueless or the players can't be bothered ?

And the need to move up the table has nothing to do with whether Derby have a couple of injuries or not !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Nov 2009 12:21

Sun Tzu
Ian Royal Be warned, Coventry and Derby are abysmal at them moment due to injuries. Ipswich and ourselves do not have that excuse, although we're heading towards it at an alarming rate.

Derby and Coventry get their key players back, and they'll start picking up points. Which is why we have to capitalise on their poor form NOW and get up the table.

So other sides are allowed excuses when they lose but for us it's just because themanager is clueless or the players can't be bothered ?

And the need to move up the table has nothing to do with whether Derby have a couple of injuries or not !

Why are you such a jerk?

Derby have 16 odd players out and only being able to field 5 subs is a pretty good explanation for why they've been such total shit in the last month.

If we can't get out of the relegation zone and clear of trouble with other teams in such dire, but not long term, problems, we've got no hope of surviving. Derby and Coventry are very likely to improve when their better players are back.

We have no clear outstanding players and certainly don't have missing stars as an excuse. There are two main contenders for our current situation. Poor management up until recently, or the players we have simply aren't good enough.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Nov 2009 12:36

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu

Ian Royal Why are you such a jerk?
Ian Royal Why can't you accpet a difference of opionion. I suspect it's you who are the jerk !

Derby have 16 odd players out and only being able to field 5 subs is a pretty good explanation for why they've been such total shit in the last month.

If we can't get out of the relegation zone and clear of trouble with other teams in such dire, but not long term, problems, we've got no hope of surviving. Derby and Coventry are very likely to improve when their better players are back.

We have no clear outstanding players and certainly don't have missing stars as an excuse. There are two main contenders for our current situation. Poor management up until recently, or the players we have simply aren't good enough.

So having our skipper and key defender out for the first 10 games doesn't count then ?
Or our player of the season not having got close to a game ?
O'Dea seems to have missed a few games and Mills has been injured. So that's scuppered any kind of settled centre back pairing.
Now McAnuff is fit we're seeing him starting to have a real effect. Imagine if he'd been fit from the day he signed.
Marek seems to be coming good. I recall he had a spell out injured...

There are lots of reasons why teams struggle. We had a poor start becasue we had too much change to quickly and a young manager who has taken time to work it all out. Just like other teams will point at injury it is just as valid for us to look at chnage as a reason for poor results. They may get their injured players back but we are finding out feet and will continue to improve as well.

We have every hope of surviving, there are few good teams in this league and it won;t take a huge increase in performance for us to climb the table. Other teams that started well will falter and we have the raw material to pick up plenty of points.

Sorry if you disgaree. Sorry if you can;t exress you disgreement without being childish.

Rather than call people jerks (and make your self look stupid) why not think a bit and

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Nov 2009 12:44

The only difference Ivar coming back has made is we conceeded more goals and got worse results up until Rodgers started picking a decent side and formation.

McAnuff has played no better than Kebe overall.

None of our players are stand out. Bertrand has been one of our better players so Armstrong isn't going to have made a big difference. We've only ever had a couple of "key" players out at once. We've always been able to name a full bench.

Our problems are totally different. We've seen with Fulham that a team with important players out injured can turn it around quite quickly and hurt us once those players return. We need to take advantage of Derby and Coventry's position whilst we can.

If we can pull ourselves together we're as good or better. But if we're still stuck in the same rut when they get their players back that's two teams which will definitely finish above us from the current relegation candidates.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Nov 2009 12:49

Ian Royal If we can pull ourselves together we're as good or better. But if we're still stuck in the same rut when they get their players back that's two teams which will definitely finish above us from the current relegation candidates.

Neither will definitely finish anywhere.

And it's stating the obvious that if we lose games we won;t get further up the table.

But all teams have issues to deal with and a season is just about who deals with them best. We're showing signs of significant improvement and givien there are very few sides of any merit in this division it won't take much of a run for us to climb the table. Other teams will have bad patches for whatever reason.

It just seems to be odd to find excuses for other teams doing badly and being certain they will improve and not allowing the same to our own team. Reverse one eyed ism ?

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 02 Nov 2009 13:20

Sausage Rolls - 7
Ice cold bottles of Gaymers - 9
TV coverage in the concourse - 6 (Would've got more but no replays of goals)
Sh*tters - 7
De La Soul lookalike bar staff - 10

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Nov 2009 13:27

The usual nonsense from Ian Royal, why am I not surprised?

Derby and Cov will "definitely finish above us"?

Really.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Nov 2009 15:25

I didn't go to the game, in fact I'm only barely aware of what happened, but I can confirm that Ian Royal is a complete spacktard

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 02 Nov 2009 15:46

Maguire The usual nonsense from Ian Royal, why am I not surprised?

Derby and Cov will "definitely finish above us"?

Really.

+1 - Happy to have a bet that both those teams will not finish above us....

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 02 Nov 2009 15:59

Lordy, I feel so fickle these days. Having backing Brendan to the hilt till....I think the Boro game....I was determined to stick to my new, firmly held belief that he had to go. But...but...I dunno, we were playing a poor team and all that, who remind me of us at home. But there's a shape to the midfield that was also there at home to Leicester and away at Peterborough (with McAnuff instead of Kebe the only difference to the latter line-up, I think) that is showing signs of really gelling and regularly producing the goods. McAnuff is a key difference - similarly as skillful and frustrating as Jimmy but with better end-product. Gylfi and Marek must be among the most naturally talented players in the division, and even Howard looks to have some bark to add to his bite. In defence, Tabbster at right-back has really increased confidence, and up-front Rasiak is sniffing out chances all the time. Even Churchy looks good, with those excellent runs really stretching and testing defences. Pity he can't finish. I don't subscribe to the view that he looks unfit - it's just that his is the sort of game thar requires an hour-to-seventy five minutes of all-out work before being replaced. Having said that, the piece in the jigsaw that's really missing now is a decent accomplished proven Championship goalscorer to complement (and occasionally replace) Rasiak. That debate's going on elsewhere, so I won't start it here as well. If (big if) we beat Ipswich, confidence will go through the roof, and the set of fixtures that lead up to Xmas could lead to rich pickings indeed. Well, a bit better than a point a game, anyway. I would settle for that.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 02 Nov 2009 16:47

Hugo Boss Sausage Rolls - 7
Ice cold bottles of Gaymers - 9
TV coverage in the concourse - 6 (Would've got more but no replays of goals)
Sh*tters - 7
De La Soul lookalike bar staff - 10

Hot Dogs 2
Smoking area 10
Oi Oi Ginger Roy with Tart Man 8