SJM's radio interview ..

136 posts
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SJM's radio interview ..

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Nov 2009 13:17

To be fair to JM with the squad he has and the money he has spent we should not be at the bottom of the league.

BR has the support but he needs to sort it out.

Why JM didn't just say that I don't know...

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Nov 2009 13:53

Mad Dog's Ghost Heard a bit of Dellor's interview on BBC berks this morning.

Synopsis: There will be very little money, if any, to spend in January. We have an 'amazing squad' (said that three or four times) and a great manager and promotion is a possibility. The fans need to rally behind the club. It's a community club. And there are no buyers for RFC.

Amazing squad.....great manager.....promotion is a possibility; given that John Madejki's knowledge of football is about as respected as Brian Sewell's, I am sure that all this guff comes as great comfort to us all :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Nov 2009 14:12

floyd__streete

Synopsis: There will be very little money, if any, to spend in January. We have an 'amazing squad' (said that three or four times) and a great manager and promotion is a possibility. The fans need to rally behind the club. It's a community club. And there are no buyers for RFC.

Amazing squad.....great manager.....promotion is a possibility; given that John Madejki's knowledge of football is about as respected as Brian Sewell's, I am sure that all this guff comes as great comfort to us all :roll:

Indeed - why everyone is getting so worked up about it and analysing the intonation of every syllable I just don't know.

I do actually - must be an international break.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Nov 2009 14:20

Anyone hear any more.

What a shame that the ITV cameras (note how the interview just happened to take place 'in shot') didn't capture the men in white coats dragging him away!

When will he realise that whilst the supporters might not be as rich as him, it doesn't mean they are stupid?! Talking of promotion as a possibility at this moment in time is either taking them for stupid or just plain taking the P!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Nov 2009 14:21

Promotion is a possibility. Not a realistic one, but it certainly is a possibility.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Nov 2009 14:28

Dirk Gently Promotion is a possibility. Not a realistic one, but it certainly is a possibility.

Of course statistically it is possible (as I said, we are not stupid and can do the maths!) but talking about it being a possibility at this present moment in time with the team in the relegation zone and not having won at home since 27th January is both stupid and insulting!

Uke
Royal Lady
OzBiscuit2004 Our recent success has spoilt a lot of you fans over there. We spent most of our history in the division below the one we are now in.

Jeez I miss going to the footy.

As I've said time and again, I've watched us in the depths of old Div 4 - but we were never given any comments by Waller or Smee (to my knowledge) that we were pushing for promotion and how well we'd do. JM has always "bigged" the club and it's ambitions up - which isn't always a bad thing, obviously, but when you're in the bottom 3, and have been struggling all season so far, talk of promotion from the chairman does rather stick in the craw sometimes.

But how often was Smee required to do an interview or even Branfoot?.

They did plenty of interviews, albeit perhaps in a different media. The only difference was that unlike Madejski they did not actively seek to be in the media spotlight.

Actually, there is another difference. When the shyte hit the fan in the latter days of Branfoot, Roger Smee had both the decency and the balls to come out into Norfolk Road and discuss the situation personally with the lynch mob that had gathered one dark, wet evening.

Dirk Gently
floyd__streete

Indeed - why everyone is getting so worked up about it and analysing the intonation of every syllable I just don't know.

Quite simple. The team is heading deep into the shyte, people have paid very good money in times of financial difficulty for what turned out to be a cut price and shyte offering, and the man who loves to be in the limelight when times are good appears to have taken a vow of silence!

Little wonder they seize on his every word when he gets caught on the hop, immediately after featuring on national TV, and finally opens his mouth to tell people what the hell is going on.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 13 Nov 2009 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Nov 2009 14:32

As I said earlier, SJM off the lead is a PR disaster waiting to happen, so he's liable to say anything.

The other difference is that Smee was hand-on, and knew what was happening in teh club each day. SJM isn't - he has people to do that for him.

But never forget that we have more points and are higher in the table than Palace 4 years ago when they went up with us. If you belive in BR - as SJM obviously does, as he's not sacked him - it makes logical sense to also believe that a Palace-esque improvement can happen.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Nov 2009 14:38

Dirk Gently As I said earlier, SJM off the lead is a PR disaster waiting to happen, so he's liable to say anything.

The other difference is that Smee was hand-on, and knew what was happening in teh club each day. SJM isn't - he has people to do that for him.

But never forget that we have more points and are higher in the table than Palace 4 years ago when they went up with us. If you belive in BR - as SJM obviously does, as he's not sacked him - it makes logical sense to also believe that a Palace-esque improvement can happen.

I too still believe BR can turns things around but only if the Chairman gives him realistic financial backing both in terms of transfer fees and wages.

And BTW, Smee also had the ability and was prepared to call a spade a spade when that was appropriate. To paraphrase his words of that evening 'He (Branfoot) damn well got us into this mess and he better damn well get us out of it!'

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Nov 2009 14:39

I'm quite happy to indulge Madejski's apparent ego and thirst for the trappins of success and the media spotlight when it means the club has survived and prospered so much under his stewardship.

Yeah he blurts out a few daft comments here and there, and there are things I think they could do better at times, but I still think he's a fantastic Chairman/Owner.

Perhaps is Smee or Waller had that same thirst for the success and limelight they might've mirrored Madjeski's achievements...

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 13 Nov 2009 14:58

Dirk Gently Promotion is a possibility. Not a realistic one, but it certainly is a possibility.

Dirk Gently But never forget that we have more points and are higher in the table than Palace 4 years ago when they went up with us. If you belive in BR - as SJM obviously does, as he's not sacked him - it makes logical sense to also believe that a Palace-esque improvement can happen.

Dirk, is this your own viewpoint or merely adding weight to SJM's words?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Nov 2009 15:10

handbags_harris

Dirk Gently But never forget that we have more points and are higher in the table than Palace 4 years ago when they went up with us. If you belive in BR - as SJM obviously does, as he's not sacked him - it makes logical sense to also believe that a Palace-esque improvement can happen.

Dirk, is this your own viewpoint or merely adding weight to SJM's words?

Both my opinion but based upon what I know.

First is a simple fact - we might go up, but I doubt it.

Second is similar - SJM clearly believes that BR will turn things round. After that its a simple logical progression : there's still time to turn it round enough to go up this season, and SJM believes BR will turn it round. Add the two together and what have you got?

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 13 Nov 2009 15:17

The difference between us and Palace is that they had a striker in Andy Johnson.

I struggle to see us getting the goals to push us the table sadly.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Nov 2009 15:24

Compo's Hat The difference between us and Palace is that they had a striker in Andy Johnson.

I agree completely - but it's the difference between possibilities and probabilities, which is a very subjective one.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 13 Nov 2009 15:31

Dirk Gently
Compo's Hat The difference between us and Palace is that they had a striker in Andy Johnson.

I agree completely - but it's the difference between possibilities and probabilities, which is a very subjective one.

Would SJM really want us to be anywhere near the Premier League come May? For all the right reasons would he have the stomach for the Financial commitments that possible promotion may involve?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Nov 2009 15:32

And of course we might just get that missing stiker in January....

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 13 Nov 2009 15:38

There's probably a sizeable number of people associated with the club who would see an annual encounter with the playoffs as close to ideal...

And of course there are some for whom a top 8 Premiership finish would show how unambitious / poorly run / underfunded we are under Son of Satan SJM !!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Nov 2009 16:14

West Stand Flash Enjoying a season where we have been constantly shite, lost all our best players and have a chairman who couldn't get away quicker after fobbing us all off with contant lies.

Oh yeah been a barrell of laughs!!!

you eedjit

i started following RFC during one of the worst periods of our history- and stood through our last season at elm park, where we were relegated. pitch invasions, multiple manager sackings etc etc
since then ive had periods of real sorrow and depth defying lows, and a few days/weeks/seasons of unparralelled joy- at no point was i tempted to stop supporting my club.its all about teh ups and downs innit
thats what being a supporter is about.
and yes, i believe, amongst some real dross, there are games this season which have rivalled some of the best football/atmosphere/tension played in my entire history with this club.
throwing your toys out the pram just one season after 4 of our top 5 highest league finishes ever, does seem a little twattish, if you dont mind me saying.

fair enough have a grumble, fair enough write sternly worded letters to the board and the EP,its even fair enough for you to boo the players and chairman if thats the kind of bloke you want to be, but to talk about not bothering going any more is loony talk of the highest order.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 13 Nov 2009 16:30

Surely Brendan can at least spend the money left over from the summer, because we did not spend all the money allocated for Smith.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 13 Nov 2009 16:37

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the fact that SJM said he's no longer the wealthy man he was. Looks like the recession has bitten hard.

Oh, and here's my attempt...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Nov 2009 16:43

facaldaqui Surely Brendan can at least spend the money left over from the summer, because we did not spend all the money allocated for Smith.

i dont think thast true

reading between lines somewhat- this money was spent after that fell through on mcanuff and rasiak etc

136 posts