Does BR deserve more time?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 187
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Should BR stay?

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:19

And to expand on Royalee's point about dignity in defeat....the 3 best managers the Premiership has seen, Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger. None of whom are gracious in defeat.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 Dec 2009 14:34

Dirk Gently
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell will come back for 6 months.....

Not a chance of that - never in a million, million years....

Wrong. Wasn't it you that said Lita and Kitson couldn't play together again...take a look at the Middlesboro team sheet these days.
I certainly wouldn't rule out Coppell returning short-term.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 Dec 2009 14:38

floyd__streete Good response, fair play to you fella.

I'll go with that. Royalee and I often disagree but that was an eloquent reply from him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:41

winchester_royal
floyd__streete
Yeah thank god for you winchester_royal; the Peter Ustinov of HNA.

I may not be the most eloquent, or knowing poster on HNA, but I'd like to think I am at the very least rational, and able to look furhter than simple results.

Rodgers is 1/2 way through what some, myself included, have dubbed a 'revolution'. In a short time period we have seen players like Sig and HRK emerge from the shackles placed on the younger players during Coppell's time, and seen an obvious improvement in the style of football being played. Getting rid now, and bringing in a long ball merchant like Hart, who has never consistently convinced as a manager, could ruin everything that we have built in the last six months.

We are improving, admittedly at a slow rate, but we are, the players are fully behind him, and whilst we are unable to invest in a significant way, it would be silly to get rid.

You've proven yourself irrational by saying there is no possibility of us getting relegated.

Impossible to take anything you say seriously now.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 13 Dec 2009 15:08

I voted 'yes', even though Rodgers depresses me, simply because common decency requires that we give him a chance--and he hasn't blown that chance yet. He may or may not turn into a good manager, but I scratch my head at those who see signs that he's a good manager in what he's served up so far. People are saying he plays better football than Coppell, but I prefer to see darting runs forward followed by lethal strikes than meandering attacks followed by misses galore. Coppell's football was only painful to watch after last Christmas, but I'm finding Rodgers's football just as painful to watch as that, for different reasons. I'm frustrated by the lack of urgency and by the complacency and lack of pace at the back.

I think the season will turn on whether the players get real soon enough. I know that confidence and a winning mentality is important, and perhaps the optimistic statements of Rodgers and his players are propaganda, but I worry that none of them have grasped how serious a mess they're in. If they really believe they are an excellent team who should be higher up the table, that could prove a fatal delusion. Just recently they all keep mentioning what a good run we're on, but are we really? Maybe if you go back to Blackpool, yes; but at the moment we've only won one of our last four, and that against a pitiful Wednesday. Please wake up, Rodgers and the team.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Dec 2009 15:18

winchester_royal
sandman
thefruits I want him to go. I want sir steve back. I think BR has actually brought in some good players but hasn't the nous to get them working together.

Each day BR remains in charge will mean the damage he is doing to the club will get worse.

SSC should be brought back without dills & downs (dills obviously has a new job). SSC with Murts & Parky as his support anyone ?

Coppell ain't coming back :( . Paul Hart in please.

LOL. That's exactly why I want BR to stay.

+1

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Dec 2009 15:22

All we need is Jim Magilton to step in to headbutt a few of our players.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 13 Dec 2009 15:32

facaldaqui I voted 'yes', even though Rodgers depresses me, simply because common decency requires that we give him a chance--and he hasn't blown that chance yet.

we were crap after 5 games, "you need to give him a chance" they said... judge him after 10 or 12 games... I waited

we were crap after 10 games, "you need to give him a chance" they said, judge him after half the season... i waited

21 games in, 2 off the half way mark, we are 4th bottom of the league and yet apparently common decency requires that we still have to give him a chance, others have suggested until march, or even next october.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 13 Dec 2009 15:36

You can say what you want, vote what you want, slag off who you like, but in the end the decision comes down to Madejski - and he won't sack Rodgers'.
We're currently in limbo between coming good and starting to win games and becoming a relegation side.
We win games, we lose games, and we keep giving up leads to draw too many.
If Rodgers' sorts it out, then we'll be winning more than we're losing fairly soon.
Look at it this way - we're not in the relegation zone at the half way point, having not played well at all.
So if Rodgers' can keep working on it then we have a very good Championship side.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Dec 2009 15:42

As above really, SteveRoyal's first line sums it up. There is no way 'Reading's biggest supporter' would actually quit, not when there's a massive £££ bonus for him to collect if Reading dipatched of his 'services'.

So it's a waste of time, Madejski won't sack him will cost him loads, plus he never ever steps in even when it's desperately needed. Bullivant was here until right near the end of the season, was far too late and the same will happen here.

Reading are stuck with Rodgers and he will continue on his merry way on trying to get Reading relegated. If you really were a supporter and wanted whats best for the club you arrogant arse then you'd quit but no chance of that eh?

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 13 Dec 2009 15:55

No, the guy is clueless and should have gone after 8 games. 13 games on we are no better off.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Dec 2009 16:01

Futile discussion thread - hes not going - Egoman wont pay out any compensation after waxing about him when his announcement was made - Egoman wont want egg on his face so he'll stick with him ...give us loads of diatribe about its a transition..after all does Egoman really care anymore??

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Dec 2009 16:19

And now Laws has left Sheff Wed expect them to start winning a few.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 16:19

Ian Royal
You've proven yourself irrational by saying there is no possibility of us getting relegated.

I do love it when you take everything I say out of context.

If you actually read my comment in question, I said I do not believe that we will be relegated, never said there wasn't a possibility, just that I do not think it is.

TBH IR, you change your mind often than you change your underwear, so sorry if I don't give a oxf*rd what you say,

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2009 16:22

winchester_royal
Ian Royal

If you actually read my comment in question, I said I do not believe that we will be relegated, never said there wasn't a possibility, just that I do not think it is.

TBH IR, you change your mind often than you change your underwear, so sorry if I don't give a oxf*rd what you say,

Says the bloke who rashly accuses people of racism.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 16:24

sandman
winchester_royal
Ian Royal

Says the bloke who rashly accuses people of racism.

Why do you immediately think I'm a bloke??

Are you a sexist as well? :wink:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2009 16:27

sandman
winchester_royal
Ian Royal

Says the no gender specified human who rashly accuses people of racism :wink: .

And no I do not have anything against ET at all W_R.
Last edited by sandman on 13 Dec 2009 16:51, edited 3 times in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Dec 2009 16:43

rob the royal
Ian Royal Way too simplistic a poll.

Yeah, was just about to say the same thing actually. A fair few of those people putting yes probably aren't behind him anymore, but don't see any alternative or think that they'd rather risk sticking with rodgers than having the upheaval of a new manager.

But I guess it gives us a rough idea how many people have completely lost patience with him and absolutely hate his guts.
+1. That's why I voted no. Should he stay? Probably but things are worrying at present and am not sure Rodgers has it in him to turn it around.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Dec 2009 16:56

PEARCEY
Dirk Gently
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell will come back for 6 months.....

Not a chance of that - never in a million, million years....

Wrong. Wasn't it you that said Lita and Kitson couldn't play together again...take a look at the Middlesboro team sheet these days.
I certainly wouldn't rule out Coppell returning short-term.

Nope - I expressed great surprise at the possibility of their pairing bearing in mind their history here.

But from what I know of SC's plans (amongst other things) I'd say that if he did ever come back it'd be on a long-term basis - the last thing he'd do is a short-term "cartetaker"/"troubleshooter" type of role. That's not him at all, and now is far too soon to even contemplate it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2009 17:44

winchester_royal
Ian Royal

winchester_royal I really do not think relegation is a possibiltiy.

Perhaps you should re-read your own comment. Doesn't come much clearer than that. Although at least you entertain the slight possibility that you're being naive in the next sentence and saying it's an opinion.

Still a pretty black and white statement.

My opinion changes with the shifting evidence. I wanted Rodgers out after QPR if he didn't start setting things right immediately. He did. Therefore he got a stay of execution in my books. He then stopped doing most of the things he'd been getting wrong and hey presto we improved quite considerably for a few games.

Now he's made moer really quite big errors and oh loo, performances and more importantly results are dipping. That gives me no faith that anything he did to turn us around was more than luck, or that he's learnt from his mistakes. That there is much chance of our form remaining improved rather than going right down the toilet again.

I'd like to see him have another 5 games, but we really don't have time for that. He goes soon or there is absolutely zero point.

Come February it doesn't matter how badly he does. We could lose every game, it won't matter. Too late to do anything so we may as well see what he's like in League One.

213 posts