McAnuff's red card

177 posts
Salford Royal

Re: McAnuff's red card

by Salford Royal » 25 Feb 2010 11:14

Anyone think there is a link between the lack of police presence and the WBA stewards acting like that? You have to wonder whether these unpoliced games are such a good idea. I can't imagine the stewards would be so over the top if they had the rozzers observing them - not only for manhandling the players, but also for diving in to the Baggies end for a ruck as well. Completely and utterly ridiculous and provocative.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Feb 2010 12:22

Much more likely that HRK will get a run out on Saturday, and one that he probably deserves after a couple of decent impact performances off the bench.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Feb 2010 12:29

paultheroyal West Brom fans view:

Reading players were angry and the stewards were trying to stop a fight that is all! Not to stop the reading fans from celebrating.

Bull. Sh*t. So why did the stewards gather on mass at the away end to manhandle and push the Reading players away from celebrating and handing their shirts to some of the best behaved supporters in the country. Over-zealous stewarding once again caused a scene in the crowd where the hitherto mute Albion fans alongside us suddenly got animated, I saw at least one bottle thrown into the away end. Like at Forest, a nothing situation escalated into regrettable scenes by heavy-handed stewards.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 25 Feb 2010 12:34

floyd__streete

Reading players were angry and the stewards were trying to stop a fight that is all! Not to stop the reading fans from celebrating.

Bull. Sh*t. So why did the stewards gather on mass at the away end to manhandle and push the Reading players away from celebrating and handing their shirts to some of the best behaved supporters in the country. Over-zealous stewarding once again caused a scene in the crowd where the hitherto mute Albion fans alongside us suddenly got animated, I saw at least one bottle thrown into the away end. Like at Forest, a nothing situation escalated into regrettable scenes by heavy-handed stewards.

I doesn't surprise me that the midlands neanderthals were throwing bottles.. it would surprise me if the bottle wasn't full of piss

yappy

by yappy » 25 Feb 2010 12:39

Definitely curious about how we'll line up on Saturday. Karacan possibly still injured, Mills went off last night, while Bertrand seemed to pick up a knock aswell. Add on top of that McAnuff and Long suspended and the fact most of the players played 120 minutes last night. Expecting quite a few changes!

BB104

by BB104 » 25 Feb 2010 12:40

A Baggies mate of mine who lives in Bracknell listened to the game on some Brummie local radio (on t'internet). He said they were very critical of the stewards saying "it really showed the club in a bad light"

Mr. Reading

by Mr. Reading » 25 Feb 2010 12:44

floyd__streete

Agreed Floyd, was ridiculous stewarding - and there I was minutes before the end praising the stewards for being "lenient" during the match, allowing the Reading fans to stand all game and even not noticing the people in front of me drinking plenty of alcohol. Certainly one of the more lax sets of stewards around... until the end!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2010 12:48

Interesting that for once the players experience the sort of belligerent aggression that supporters suffer from on a regular basis.

This one will go further, I'm sure .....

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Feb 2010 13:12

floyd__streete

Bull. Sh*t. So why did the stewards gather on mass at the away end to manhandle and push the Reading players away from celebrating and handing their shirts to some of the best behaved supporters in the country.

How embarrasing

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Feb 2010 14:07

Mr. Reading
floyd__streete

Agreed Floyd, was ridiculous stewarding praising the stewards for being "lenient" during the match- and there I was minutes before the end , allowing the Reading fans to stand all game and even not noticing the people in front of me drinking plenty of alcohol. Certainly one of the more lax sets of stewards around... until the end!

I thought they were fine during the game too, so don't know what caused the scenes at the end.
But it was wild - I found myself running down to the front without really knowing what I was going to do

Having shouted at a steward and feeling marginally better, I found myself next to a Reading fan going purple in indignation or something similar, screaming at a steward from a distance of two inches. I felt a bit sorry for the steward and after the purple faced one had ranted and left I spoke to the steward.
"I thought you guys had done a good job all night but that was a disgrace"

He was pleased to hear something other than ranting and shook my hands in thanks. He said he knew the steward who was involved in the Macanuff incident (and who was the guy being led away by other stewards at the end). He said he was very surprised at his behaviour particularly because he was a referee! Nuff said

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Feb 2010 14:18

Still no clearer: http://www.expressandstar.com/2010/02/2 ... ter-melee/?

Albion stewards have been accused of over-reacting after becoming embroiled in an angry post-match fracas with Reading’s players after the Baggies’ FA Cup defeat.

Royals manager Brian McDermott claimed the home stewards “made things worse,” after running onto the pitch in an ugly incident at the final whistle of his side’s 3-2 extra-time win.

Reading’s Jobi McAnuff was sent off after the fifth-round replay for allegedly striking Albion midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu, who had kicked the ball in frustration at the final whistle and hit McAnuff.

Stewards then attempted to separate the pair and McAnuff reacted angrily, prompting Reading tea- mates and other stewards to become involved in a shoving match.

A Reading player also appeared to shove a linesman amid the chaotic scenes, which continued as stewards and players jostled when stewards attempted to stop Reading walking to the Smethwick End to celebrate with their fans.

McDermott said: “We were trying to celebrate with our supporters, and the stewards were making it worse. I have had an apology from one of the stewards, which I appreciate, but I didn’t understand what happened.

“It didn’t need to happen. If stewards are coming towards you you have a problem. It was just a mess with a lot of stewards coming on the pitch. I don’t know if it was necessary.

“There was so much going on and the stewards definitely over-reacted but it didn’t taint the night. We will try to pick our way through the footage to see what happened.”

The verbal row between Reading and some stewards reportedly continued outside the ground as the Royals players boarded their team coach.

Referee Lee Mason, of Lancashire, confirmed McAnuff was dismissed after the final whistle for violent conduct but declined to comment further on the post-match incidents.

Albion head coach Roberto Di Matteo also refused to be drawn on the scenes after his players left the field during the clash between Reading and stewards.

He said: “I’m not going to comment on it. It’s all on camera and the FA can deal with it.”

Albion midfielder James Morrison said: “All I saw was a big melee. I think the Reading players all reacted, but I don’t know why they reacted like that. They won, they’re through and you just move on.

“I was just walking off and I just saw a big melee and sometimes things happen in the heat of the moment, but I think it was blown out of proportion.”

:|

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Feb 2010 16:26

Fine for failure to control our players is the likeliest outcome. Should've taken it on the chin and not asked for an investigation.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Feb 2010 17:04

Apparently McIdiot also shoved the linesman having been shown the red card.

Seriously....what a bloody mong.

FLTLR
Location: RG1, but occassionally RG30 and then sometimes RG41

by FLTLR » 25 Feb 2010 18:50

I am DISGUSTED by the Stewards last night...

Check their 'advert' out.

http://www.reliancesecurity.co.uk/content/West%20Bromwich%20Albion.pdf

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 25 Feb 2010 19:20

FLTLR I am DISGUSTED by the Stewards last night...

Check their 'advert' out.

http://www.reliancesecurity.co.uk/content/West%20Bromwich%20Albion.pdf

http://www.reliancesecurity.co.uk/content/West%20Bromwich%20Albion.pdf HTH

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 25 Feb 2010 19:24

Dirk Gently Interesting that for once the players experience the sort of belligerent aggression that supporters suffer from on a regular basis.

This one will go further, I'm sure .....

One of the more salient points (IMHO)

Week in, week out fans are 'treated' to partisan stewards and stewarding. Some are clearly fans and decent people and others are 'minimum money mongs' whom are 'licenced' to act with impunity towards away fans in particular, simply because they can get away with it!

Way past time for an FA/FL review and maybe, just maybe, with players and management being the victims, something will be done about it!

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 25 Feb 2010 19:29

Wycombe Royal
brendywendy mick gooding did mention henry making gestures to the home fans just before it kicked off

And he has history for that, except he did it to the fans of the team he was playing for (Millwall).

To be fair, he was being abused by the Millwall fans. If he was getting grief I don't blame him for giving it back. Whether he should have done is another matter.

finbarr

by finbarr » 25 Feb 2010 19:35

Just on a point of law......for how long after the final whistle does the ref still have jurisdiction over the players? Or is it something to do with being on the field of play?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 25 Feb 2010 19:42

finbarr Just on a point of law......for how long after the final whistle does the ref still have jurisdiction over the players? Or is it something to do with being on the field of play?

Yes, the referee still has jurisdiction after the final whistle and can show red / yellow cards (see FIFA Guidelines relating to Law 5)

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 25 Feb 2010 19:42

finbarr Just on a point of law......for how long after the final whistle does the ref still have jurisdiction over the players? Or is it something to do with being on the field of play?

Had the same thought, could the ref come into the showers and book a player for nasty tackle?

177 posts