Refwatch: Reading v West Bromich Albion

parky
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Refwatch: Reading v West Bromich Albion

by parky » 29 Mar 2010 14:55

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
handbags_harris You know something's wrong when you get angry just because a particular ref is taking charge of a match :|

to be honest, when was the last time you saw who the ref was and thought "oh good - he does the job pretty well"?

Howard Webb or Mike Dean

Blue Biscuit

by Blue Biscuit » 29 Mar 2010 15:19

Roger Kirkpatrick....he was the ref who stood behind the goal at penalties to judge wether the keeper moved before the kick was taken. Cracking idea until he tripped over the stanchion one game. When the keeper made a save, play carried on and was on his backside 50 yards from play. Still would have had more idea than Andy d'Urso mind you.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Mar 2010 16:09

Tony Le Mesmer But you just had to laugh at abuse giving to the east stand linesman.

about half a dozen offside calls in the 2nd half, all of which were clear as day correct decisions. "you dont know what youre doing was the cry. Not for the 1st time, its our support that didnt have a clue.

Have to agree I was in the East Stand and most of the decisions were valid, however if giving the lino some jip can put a little bit of doubt in his mind about the next one then I'm all for it...!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Mar 2010 16:11

parky
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
handbags_harris You know something's wrong when you get angry just because a particular ref is taking charge of a match :|

to be honest, when was the last time you saw who the ref was and thought "oh good - he does the job pretty well"?

Howard Webb or Mike Dean

Kevin Lynch was pretty good I thought and going further back I always though Clive Thomas was pretty useful.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 29 Mar 2010 18:59

Barry the bird boggler
Tony Le Mesmer But you just had to laugh at abuse giving to the east stand linesman.

about half a dozen offside calls in the 2nd half, all of which were clear as day correct decisions. "you dont know what youre doing was the cry. Not for the 1st time, its our support that didnt have a clue.

Have to agree I was in the East Stand and most of the decisions were valid

Most were...but he still got about 3 or 4 wrong including one by about 2 yards - in our favour mind you.

Getting that many wrong and getting a really easy one wrong is scandalously inept.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Mar 2010 19:12

Barry the bird boggler

Have to agree I was in the East Stand and most of the decisions were valid, however if giving the lino some jip can put a little bit of doubt in his mind about the next one then I'm all for it...!

That is exactly the principle I work on!

It's also why I won't join in the howls of protest when a lino is very clearly correct. Just concentrate on giving him hell when he does get one wrong (and being sat right in line with the lino on Saturday on one occasion, he did get that one wrong!) or when it is marginal. I never think it hurts to remind them that they should be making their judgement when the pass is played!

brendywendy
Tony Le Mesmer Usual crap from Durso.

But you just had to laugh at abuse giving to the east stand linesman.

i bood more for the fact that he was clearly guessing cos he couldnt see into the sun

Have the old farts at the FA passed regulations that prevent officials using aids e.g. cap/sunglasses to help them cope in that situation? If not, why don't linos use them?
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 29 Mar 2010 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Mar 2010 19:14

That was one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen but at least he was equally awful for both teams. Probably a fair result overall as we failed to take our chances.

And the linesman on the Easts Stand side was awful - at least 2 or 3 of the offside decisions looked clearly wrong.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Mar 2010 20:11

Tony Le Mesmer Usual crap from Durso.

But you just had to laugh at abuse giving to the east stand linesman.

At last a voice of reason. From where I was sat in the WSU, there was only one that he gave offside that could have been considered borderline. The rest were nailed on.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Mar 2010 09:00

I can only assume then that the sun was in your eyes as well. He got 3 to 4 badly wrong. Simple as. (I put on a peaked cap. Thought of loaning it to the lino until he gave our player onside when he was 2 yards offside.)