Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

154 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

by PEARCEY » 27 Mar 2010 19:51

Not really. WBA had a blatant penalty turned down, would have also been one on one with Feds at the end had it not been for Siggy's late foul, had two free headers in the opening 10 minutes one of which Feds tipped over and looked dangerous throughout.
Sometimes you have to give the opposition some credit. Like I said though we matched them. We should be very encouraged.
A lot depends on the summer. If we can keep hold of the bulk of this squad we should be right up there next season.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Did I miss something?

by Man Friday » 27 Mar 2010 19:58

The reason they celebrated is that they're a point closer to promotion.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 27 Mar 2010 20:00

Either side could have won that, so a draw is a fair result IMO.

Very frequently, especially in the last couple of months, we've all come back onto this forum and said stone me the opposition were poor, a joke team, blah blah blah, well I didn't think that today, I was impressed how well WBA came back from the complete arse-fukcing we gave them in the first half, and in the end I think that's another point earned rather than two tossed away.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 27 Mar 2010 20:00

Glad to see we are discussing two lost points against a team who are second in the league and just that little bit closer to auto promotion. We couldn't have foreseen that in the months leading up to Christmas.

A couple of quick observations - Kebe does all the hard work but is sometimes too fast for our own forwards to catch up and get into position. Sometimes just a quick look would help, hold the ball up slightly before getting that telling cross in. Putting the cross in along a line of defenders and Carson with out having our own players in the box in the right position isn't very fruitful. On a run and change of pace through the middle the change of pace was amazing, but again an earlier through ball would have had another one on one instead of the attack breaking down. The look of frustration on Kebe's face was a picture, which shows either frustration at himself or his team mates.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 27 Mar 2010 20:02

Man Friday The reason they celebrated is that they're a point closer to promotion.

Yep and 9 points clear of Forest. That is more telling for them.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 27 Mar 2010 20:03

Shouldn't have taken Long off. We were a poorer side after that. Churchie didn't win anything in the air.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 27 Mar 2010 20:04

I think all in all fellas to get 5 points from our last three matches has been a fabulous achievement, all were against teams in the "promotion" half of the league, so well done all concerned.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Mar 2010 20:04

Man Friday The reason they celebrated is that they're a point closer to promotion.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO really? :shock:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Mar 2010 20:04

oldebiscuit The ref made a lot of mistakes and fortunately, the biggest one was a blatant Mills handball in the box.

I don't think it was intentional, and therefore not a penalty.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2010 20:06

PEARCEY Not really. WBA had a blatant penalty turned down, would have also been one on one with Feds at the end had it not been for Siggy's late foul, had two free headers in the opening 10 minutes one of which Feds tipped over and looked dangerous throughout.
Sometimes you have to give the opposition some credit. Like I said though we matched them. We should be very encouraged.
A lot depends on the summer. If we can keep hold of the bulk of this squad we should be right up there next season.

Sounded like the opposite of M'boro where we sounded more dangerous but they seemed to have more of the game. Although we still sounded very dangerous tbf, so it doesn't really work as a comparison that well.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Mar 2010 20:08

Man Friday Shouldn't have taken Long off. We were a poorer side after that. Churchie didn't win anything in the air.

I was surprised Long was taken off. Church is very poor in the air. Shane does win a lot of headers and did so today. Where Churchy does well is running into space and he is really improving the timing of his runs(apart from one occasion when he and Howard were on different wave-lengths....the thing is Churchy has scored 10 and managed some assists. Not bad at all from a player with only 20 odd starts this season.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Mar 2010 20:11

Ian Royal
PEARCEY Not really. WBA had a blatant penalty turned down, would have also been one on one with Feds at the end had it not been for Siggy's late foul, had two free headers in the opening 10 minutes one of which Feds tipped over and looked dangerous throughout.

Sounded like the opposite of M'boro where we sounded more dangerous but they seemed to have more of the game. Although we still sounded very dangerous tbf, so it doesn't really work as a comparison that well.

WBA dominated possession in the second-half and passed the ball around very well. I never felt comfortable and always felt they would score even when the game was nearly over. They impressed me.
We had less possession but created the better chances with some scintillating play. The ability is there no doubt about it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Mar 2010 20:15

PEARCEY We had less possession but created the better chances with some scintillating play. The ability is there no doubt about it.

That is Coppell's influence rubbing off on McD. Even in our record season we rarely dominated possession but instead were incisive and deadly on the attack, in much the same we were today.

No messing around, quick throw ins, quick free kicks, direct passing (not always long) and get the ball forward as quickly as possible.

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 27 Mar 2010 20:16

under the tin "Cliche mode on"
That was a game of two halves
"Cliche mode off"
We were the better side in the first, Albion were better in the second.
Thoroughly enjoyed the game against IMHO comfortably the best league opposition we have seen down here.
A fantastic advert for championship football, two teams going for the win.
Haven't enjoyed a game as much since the home game against Palace in the 106 season.
G'Arn URZ

Agreed, a great match between two teams who wanted the win.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Mar 2010 20:20

An excellent game between 2 good teams. I thought a draw was a fair result tbh. Barnes coming on was a turning point, as he gave Plastic a torrid time, but as most have said, we had enough chances to win the game.

And yes RL, I was on BBCRB, spouting rubbish as per usual!

:wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2010 20:24

Mr Angry An excellent game between 2 good teams. I thought a draw was a fair result tbh. Barnes coming on was a turning point, as he gave Plastic a torrid time, but as most have said, we had enough chances to win the game.

And yes RL, I was on BBCRB, spouting rubbish as per usual!

:wink:

On the contrary! You always talk a lot of sense and you don't even get angry! :wink:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Mar 2010 20:26

Wycombe Royal
oldebiscuit The ref made a lot of mistakes and fortunately, the biggest one was a blatant Mills handball in the box.

Since when does intent come into it?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Mar 2010 20:33

Terminal Boardom
Wycombe Royal

Since when does intent come into it?

From the laws of the game:

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)

If in the penalty area then a penalty is awarded.

Section 32 - Law 12 - http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/Get%20into%20Football/Referees/lawsofthegameen_0910.ashx/lawsofthegameen_0910.pdf

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Mar 2010 20:37

Man Friday Shouldn't have taken Long off. We were a poorer side after that. Churchie didn't win anything in the air.

Don't think you would be saying that had church scored his shocking miss

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Mar 2010 20:38

I thought Howard showed a perfect example today of how to nail pinpoint passes cross field as well as generally passes that cut open defence and created chances for us to attack.

Brilliant performance, one of his best in a royals shirt IMO

154 posts