Federici wants New Deal.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Federici wants New Deal.

by super darren caskey » 05 Jan 2011 17:59

peterroyal76
Snowball
Kitson12 I don't think Hamer has a hope of getting near the first team, he hasn't exactly convinced me in the dozen or so games I've seen him in.

You catch that Ian?

Snowball I think that sometimes you are treated unfairly on here. You have your opinions and you're prepared to back them(sometimes I agree other times not), which I applaud you for, even though the grief you get is sometimes a bit too personal.
HOWEVER I do believe you are acting petty over this.

As i live in newbury like snowball i feel i have to add that snowball is not being petty(even if i think he is)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Jan 2011 19:30

peterroyal76
Snowball
Kitson12 I don't think Hamer has a hope of getting near the first team, he hasn't exactly convinced me in the dozen or so games I've seen him in.

You catch that Ian?

Snowball I think that sometimes you are treated unfairly on here. You have your opinions and you're prepared to back them(sometimes I agree other times not), which I applaud you for, even though the grief you get is sometimes a bit too personal. HOWEVER I do believe you are acting petty over this.

Seriously I disagree. There are people on here who REALLY know their football,
and most of us have a reasonable idea about some parts of the game but
would never pretend to be experts.

And then there's IR (the man with a fence growing out of his rear) who pontificates about something like goalkeeping when he does not have a clue about it.

It's not petty to point that out. The guy is sometimes a clown.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jan 2011 20:57

I apologise profusely for realising that nothing is certain and having the view that new information may mean an opinion should be changed. I'm terribly sorry for not realising that watching Reading FC for 15 years does not give me any right to express an opinion ever and that I could not possibly know anything about anything to do with football.

Unlike his majestic knowledgefulness snowball, who is an expert on everything and should never be disagreed with on pain of death...

:roll:

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 05 Jan 2011 22:32

This is truly good news that he looks to be signing an extension.

However ..... Should he move to Liverpool or anywhere now for £5,000,000 -plus sell-on clause -( ! :) I have every confidence that one of the understudies will step up to the plate. There were doubts about whether Feds would be able to replace our beloved Marcus and he has made a pretty good fist of it.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 05 Jan 2011 22:39

As always, signing a contract extension doesn't mean a player is staying - it just means that the asking price goes up if they are sold.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 05 Jan 2011 22:54

Svlad Cjelli As always, signing a contract extension doesn't mean a player is staying - it just means that the asking price goes up if they are sold.

Mikkel Anderson has returned from loan at Bristol Rovers

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 05 Jan 2011 22:56

AndyRFC
Svlad Cjelli As always, signing a contract extension doesn't mean a player is staying - it just means that the asking price goes up if they are sold.

Yep - we're lucky to have him as cover. If Feds could be sold to pay for someone like Austin we'd be in a much stonger shape than we are now, I reckon.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Jan 2011 23:01

Massively agree with that. Not sure Mcd will want to wheel and deal quite that much though...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jan 2011 23:06

winchester_royal Massively agree with that. Not sure Mcd will want to wheel and deal quite that much though...

idealy I'd like to see him get some more games under his belt on loan (preferably at championship level - but then I'm greedy and very cautious where changing keepers is concerned).

We could be developing the framework for a really really good team a couple of years down the line.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Jan 2011 00:40

Svlad Cjelli
AndyRFC

Yep - we're lucky to have him as cover. If Feds could be sold to pay for someone like Austin we'd be in a much stonger shape than we are now, I reckon.

Totally disagree, particularly based on the fact that all our strikers are scoring again over past few games. Austin be great but not at the expense of Federici.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 06 Jan 2011 06:51

Never a bad move to have a good keeper like Fedders under our control, as at the very least it means we'll be able to command a transfer fee.

I do tend to agree with Ian's opinion that one of the three young keepers we have on the books could surpass him in the next couple of seasons so if we were to get a decent 7 figure offer then I'd have few problems with letting him go.

Snowball seriously stop pushing your own stupid rivalry with Ian into every thread :roll:

Oh and on a lighter note I keep seeing this thread header and thinking of 1930's American economic policy...

under the tin

by under the tin » 06 Jan 2011 08:29

winchester_royal Massively agree with that. Not sure Mcd will want to wheel and deal quite that much though...

Brian had better get used to the idea, as should we all.

The business is not breaking even, let alone making profits to generate such funds, and monies coming directly from the chairman's pocket are a thing of the past.

If the budget is brought under control, and the club at least breaks even, the sale of current playing assets is the only option open which can generate money for incoming transfers.
If the losses continue, then these sales will be used to balance the books, so the club can continue trading.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 09:13

under the tin

Brian had better get used to the idea, as should we all.

The business is not breaking even, let alone making profits to generate such funds, and monies coming directly from the chairman's pocket are a thing of the past.

If the budget is brought under control, and the club at least breaks even, the sale of current playing assets is the only option open which can generate money for incoming transfers.
If the losses continue, then these sales will be used to balance the books, so the club can continue trading.

But, based on that scenario we can only improve the team (from outside) by being smarter than the rest.

We have to sell for more than our players are worth and/or buy for less than players are worth (this before worying about agent's fees and VAT at 20%)

Of course the occasional gem like Gylfi will help.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 09:14

Wimb
Snowball seriously stop pushing your own stupid rivalry with Ian into every thread :roll:

Just as soon as that's how it works the other way :D

under the tin

by under the tin » 06 Jan 2011 10:38

Snowball But, based on that scenario we can only improve the team (from outside) by being smarter than the rest.
We have to sell for more than our players are worth and/or buy for less than players are worth (this before worying about agent's fees and VAT at 20%)
Of course the occasional gem like Gylfi will help.

Absolutely. it's why i'm a believer that the most important signing that any club will ever make will be that of its team management/coaching staff.
Had Jack Hayward, at Wolves, and Sir whatsisface Hall at the barcodes thought along those lines, they would have saved themselves millions!

The reason why we are higher up the football pyramid than we used to be is because we got those key appointments right more often than we got them wrong.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 06 Jan 2011 10:53

Snowball
Wimb

Just as soon as that's how it works the other way :D

Touche, or else both of you end up on the naughty step ;)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 11:22

For me it's like in school that little kid from two years below, the one with
milk-breath and a wet patch in his crotch. Just when you think it's safe to
go back in the courtyard, up the thing pops, spittle on its gob...

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 Jan 2011 11:56

Snowball, in the same way you go on about Long being 'young and inexperienced' the other keepers are gaining more expereince of playing competitively than federici did at the same age. 2 of them recieving youth international honours also.

I don't think it's stupid to say they might turn out better than federici over the long haul. Keepers mature later than outfield players, usually early to mid 30's they are at their prime so federici also has that time on his side. The young lads have that head start on him.

What can't be denied is the massive improvement in Federici this year. Camera saves a plenty last years masked some trul abysmal mistakes, some of the worst i've ever seen from a keeper. Seriously the West Brom one is up their in all time gaffs.

This year one bizarre kick against someone's arse, he's been pretty much faultless. Couldn't really argue if anyone said he was player of the half year so far.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Jan 2011 12:11

agreed- hes been much much better this season, and well worth giving a new deal to imo

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 12:21

Alan Partridge Snowball, in the same way you go on about Long being 'young and inexperienced' the other keepers are gaining more expereince of playing competitively than Federici did at the same age. 2 of them recieving youth international honours also.

I don't dispute that. They may well play for their country for all I know.

I don't think it's stupid to say they might turn out better than Federici over the long haul. Keepers mature later than outfield players, usually early to mid 30's they are at their prime so Federici also has that time on his side. The young lads have that head start on him.

(a) I didn't say ANYWHERE that it was stupid.

(b) Note you say MIGHT.

The post I objected to (bolded by the poster) said they probably WILL (which is slightly Irish fence-sitting, but...) and I found that way too-unfounded. Hence I asked the poster if he was a keeper himself or goalkeeping coach.

What can't be denied is the massive improvement in Federici this year. Camera saves a plenty last years masked some trul abysmal mistakes, some of the worst i've ever seen from a keeper. Seriously the West Brom one is up their in all time gaffs. This year one bizarre kick against someone's arse, he's been pretty much faultless. Couldn't really argue if anyone said he was player of the half year so far.

I strongly expect Federici will be playing in the Premiership. He's certainly on the radar these days and improving all the time. If these lads (and they MIGHT one day be better, who knows?) turn out to be BETTER than Federici, then they are "CLEARLY future premiership keepers".

That some call from someone who is not a pro or even a good amateur.