Goodbye Marek!

W&E Royal

Re: Goodbye Marek!

by W&E Royal » 11 Jun 2010 22:43

Completely off topic, where is that picture of the knob shop with Ashley Cole and John Terry on it?

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 11 Jun 2010 22:45

W&E Royal Completely off topic, where is that picture of the knob shop with Ashley Cole and John Terry on it?

Check Jonny Fordham's webchat Wednesday.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 11 Jun 2010 23:03

That was it, i knew i saw it somewhere! Thanks

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 11 Jun 2010 23:58

A little gutted with this news.

He was a true professional, and showed glimpses of pure quality.

Like many on here have said, will always be remembered for his Liverpool scorcher.

Unlucky sums him up, really. Never got a good run in the team and as a result never really settled down in the team.

£650,000 is a good sum for a player who's only appeared in 30-ish games in 2 years. Still making a loss, but he's off the wage bill I guess.

chandog

by chandog » 12 Jun 2010 00:13

looked amazing to start with but has never had the luck to consistently prove it

hope we can get griffin now

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 12 Jun 2010 00:48

Mixed feeling in this one...

He showed some flashes of brilliance in the Prem and played very well against Birmingham in the ill fated play-off

But then again he has been shit for absolutely ages, and looks like he can't be assed when the chips are down (aside from Birmingham game)

Very much reminds me of the Soel Ki Hyon (sp?) situaution.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 12 Jun 2010 01:16

Good luck Marek. A great player that didn't fit in with our style of play unfortunately.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Jun 2010 02:39

prostak
Archie's penalty Ahoj Marek. Teraz to tylko Rasiak jako nasz jedyny tu Slowian :(

No własnie kolego - krzyczej po polsku a Czechów zrozumi ;)

Nie!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Jun 2010 07:37

Fee thought to be around £650,000 according to Czech media, none of which is likely to go into squad rebuilding....

From the EP....

Marek Matejovsky revealed he had several offers from European clubs after he left Reading for Sparta Prague on Friday.

The Czech press have reported that Sparta paid around £650,000 for Matejovsky, with the two clubs agreeing to keep the exact fee undisclosed.

The 28-year-old midfielder joined Royals for £1.4million from Mlada Boleslav in January 2008, but had a frustrating time in England.

Often showing flashes of brilliance in the Premier League and scoring a stunning goal against Liverpool, Matejovsky struggled to adapt to life in the Championship when the club were relegated.

He featured for his country in the last European Championships, but the Czech Republic international was hindered by a string of injuries the following season.

The classy midfielder made just 14 starts under Steve Coppell in 2008/9. He then turned out just 15 times during the last campaign when he was dogged by an abdominal problem.

Speaking at his unveiling with the Czech champions at the Generali Arena, he said: “After Reading told me I could leave I had several offers. But I decided to come to Sparta.

“I had some foreign offers, but I finally decided to sign for the biggest Czech club. Sparta has the highest ambitions and I hope to help them fill those. I want to be playing in the Sparta team on a regular basis and then get back into the national said.”

It is unlikely that manager Brian McDermott will be able to use the cash from the Matejovsky transfer to add to his squad, but with the high earner off the wage bill it could help pave the way for Reading to continue their quest to sign Stoke City right-back Andy Griffin.

The Post reported that Sparta were looking at signing Matejovsky in October, but the player himself insisted he wanted to stay and fight for his place.

Matejovsky said: “I want to be at Reading and I want to play. If I’m not playing then I can’t be happy, but I want to play here and help the team.

“Maybe I’ll play the next game or maybe I’ll be in the stands. I don’t know. It’s a question for the gaffer. I want to play well and help the team."

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 12 Jun 2010 10:52

In the right type of side he will be effective, but the priority here was to get him off the wage bill. I dont understand this continual "undiscloed fee" crap all it does is mislead the supporters, with money coming in, the mysterious £4m debt should be cut, but all this does is allow Madelski and Hammond to continually come out saying how hard up we are. With all that we have sold over the past year or so, compared with what we have spent bringing new blood in we should appear to be pretty well financially stable.........................but I suppose something has to prop up his more important investments.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jun 2010 12:26

I hope he does well with Sparta. It's a good move for all concerned and £650,000 is a decent enough fee.

I honestly think that Euro 08 was a shop window for him after our relegation. Getting injured there and against Forest really stalled his career at a time when he could have secured a decent move somewhere in Europe and I don't think anyone would have begrudged him it. He never came close to fulfilling his potential here but he conducted himself well at the club so I'd like to see him get his career back on track

joe999

by joe999 » 12 Jun 2010 12:33

Ill have to disagree with the majority and say that I think this is a real shame. Poor guy's been really unlucky with injury, and hasn't really had a consistent run in the first team.

Whenever he played, he was one of the best passers I've ever seen, and I'm sure had he kept playing regularly for a few months, he would have become one of our best centre-mids to date.

Best of luck to you Marek.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 12 Jun 2010 12:54

glad cos we need the money, sad because when rarely on form was an absolute pleasure to watch

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jun 2010 13:01

howser In the right type of side he will be effective, but the priority here was to get him off the wage bill. I dont understand this continual "undiscloed fee" crap all it does is mislead the supporters, with money coming in, the mysterious £4m debt should be cut, but all this does is allow Madelski and Hammond to continually come out saying how hard up we are. With all that we have sold over the past year or so, compared with what we have spent bringing new blood in we should appear to be pretty well financially stable.........................but I suppose something has to prop up his more important investments.

We'd have to make a profit to prop up Madejski's other investments. And he'd have to remove money from the club. One thing the accounts show he hasn't done and the other it's a pretty big certainty we've only made a profit in two or possibly three of the last 15 years.

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 12 Jun 2010 13:43

big wage off the books and a fee as well, this is good news.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Jun 2010 16:00

Put in one of the best individual performances I have seen in a Reading shirt against Bristol City away.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Jun 2010 16:49

Focher glad cos we need the money, sad because when rarely on form was an absolute pleasure to watch

Couldn't have put it better myself. Unfortunately the frustration was more prevalent than the pleasure.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 12 Jun 2010 17:49

Ta ta Marek, don't forget the wee one or Yorkshire midget as fondly christened by Jinxy. :lol:

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 12 Jun 2010 18:33

All I will remember of you is your goal at Anfield.

Never really shone, but... you were alright I suppose.

:wink:

As per usual, whoever leaves our club respectively, good luck Marek.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 12 Jun 2010 23:03

Ideal
RG30 Goodbye Mr Overrated

+1,000,000

Bet you had a good view of his performances from your seat in Scandinavia.