DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by PEARCEY » 10 Jan 2011 21:23

So if Newport play Reading who do you support Snowball?
Btw its really good to see Newport on the rise again(recent blip excepted).

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 10 Jan 2011 21:58

Snowball - Here is a reminder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_Newport_County_A.F.C._season

Opened the season with ten straight defeats. Their first home win in the league was on 15.1.71 :shock: although they did manage a win in the League Cup on 19.8.70: 2-1 against...Reading :oops: As you say, a great second half of the season.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 10 Jan 2011 22:11

By Jonny Fordham
January 10, 2011

Bradley Wright-Phillips has been given the seal of approval to join Reading by his former boss Peter Reid.

Cash-strapped Plymouth Argyle have accepted Royals’ bid of around £300,000 for the striker, although it is believed they turned down an initial approach of just £100,000 before the deal was finally struck.

Is Bradley Wright-Phillips a good signing for Reading?

“I told him to go there and get goals,” Reid said of Wright-Phillips' move to Madejski Stadium, which is still to be officially confirmed by Reading.

“I wish him all the best because he has done well for the club. I spoke to him on Friday night and we were realistic.

“You have got to be honest. I told him the club needed the money, and that he had got 13 goals and it was about him now.

"He has done smashing and he has got his career back on track.

The former Manchester City and Southampton striker was out of contract this summer and Reading boss Brian McDermott saw him score for Argyle against Bristol Rovers last week.

Reid added: “It’s a terrific move for him. Let's be honest, if you were at Argyle at the moment would you hold on if you had other opportunities?

“I'm almost certain we would have lost him in the summer for nothing. That's the brutal reality of it."

Nothing particularly knew here but unless something unexpected happened in the medical, and Reid said in Saturday's post match interview that he didn't expect it to, this is all but a done deal now and should be announced tomorrow.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Jan 2011 22:50

It's getting closer. I was worried but somewhat re-assured now.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 10 Jan 2011 23:06

roadrunner By Jonny Fordham
January 10, 2011

Bradley Wright-Phillips has been given the seal of approval to join Reading by his former boss Peter Reid.

Cash-strapped Plymouth Argyle have accepted Royals’ bid of around £300,000 for the striker, although it is believed they turned down an initial approach of just £100,000 before the deal was finally struck.

Is Bradley Wright-Phillips a good signing for Reading?

“I told him to go there and get goals,” Reid said of Wright-Phillips' move to Madejski Stadium, which is still to be officially confirmed by Reading.

“I wish him all the best because he has done well for the club. I spoke to him on Friday night and we were realistic.

“You have got to be honest. I told him the club needed the money, and that he had got 13 goals and it was about him now.

"He has done smashing and he has got his career back on track.

The former Manchester City and Southampton striker was out of contract this summer and Reading boss Brian McDermott saw him score for Argyle against Bristol Rovers last week.

Reid added: “It’s a terrific move for him. Let's be honest, if you were at Argyle at the moment would you hold on if you had other opportunities?

“I'm almost certain we would have lost him in the summer for nothing. That's the brutal reality of it."

Nothing particularly knew here but unless something unexpected happened in the medical, and Reid said in Saturday's post match interview that he didn't expect it to, this is all but a done deal now and should be announced tomorrow.

Fordham has added 3 lines at the top to an article that came out on Saturday. Twat.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 10 Jan 2011 23:10

roadrunner

Was reading this thinking that their fans must be utterly deflated hearing this kind of dire commenary from their manager...

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 10 Jan 2011 23:26

PremAddict
roadrunner

Was reading this thinking that their fans must be utterly deflated hearing this kind of dire commenary from their manager...

if you read their forum they 100% agree with him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Jan 2011 23:49

Ark Royal Snowball - Here is a reminder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_Newport_County_A.F.C._season

Opened the season with ten straight defeats. Their first home win in the league was on 15.1.71 :shock: although they did manage a win in the League Cup on 19.8.70: 2-1 against...Reading :oops: As you say, a great second half of the season.

God I hate the tricks memory plays

I remember the horrible 25 games without a win but I'd bet my lkife
we finished with two close-together games v Workington and
got out of trouble in the very last game V Workington

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Jan 2011 01:24

roadrunner Nothing particularly knew here.

And you still claim not to be Jay :lol:

Bedale Royal

by Bedale Royal » 11 Jan 2011 07:21

Arch
Bedale Royal I am not pointing the finger at you by the way; I love all Reading fans of course, as they are blessed with fine taste. I just wish they would appreciate more how lucky they currently are. :D Yes, I'm an old git and can remember cold rainy days at Elm Park playing Wimbledon in front of 3,000.

Wimbledon? Pfff. That doesn't make you old. I remember when Wimbledon was just a place where wombles lived. Now if you'd said Workington...

Thank you for those kind words!!! I feel 10 years younger already!!!

I can remember Workington (and Barrow) in the league though.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 11 Jan 2011 09:44

BBC Spotlight (SW TV News), said yesterday evening that BWP was missing from the ArgyLOLe line-up at Bournemouth, as he was busy "negotiating a move to Reading".

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 11 Jan 2011 09:45

Bedale Royal
Arch
Bedale Royal I am not pointing the finger at you by the way; I love all Reading fans of course, as they are blessed with fine taste. I just wish they would appreciate more how lucky they currently are. :D Yes, I'm an old git and can remember cold rainy days at Elm Park playing Wimbledon in front of 3,000.

Wimbledon? Pfff. That doesn't make you old. I remember when Wimbledon was just a place where wombles lived. Now if you'd said Workington...

Thank you for those kind words!!! I feel 10 years younger already!!!

I can remember Workington (and Barrow) in the league though.

and Southport

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 11 Jan 2011 10:09

Bedale Royal
I am not pointing the finger at you by the way; I love all Reading fans of course, as they are blessed with fine taste. I just wish they would appreciate more how lucky they currently are. :D Yes, I'm an old git and can remember cold rainy days at Elm Park playing Wimbledon in front of 3,000.

We like old gits here. Crowds v W'don were 77/8 4578. 78/79 13379... 79/80 6292..... and 81/82 3987 Not as dire as you remember.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 11 Jan 2011 10:18

Holloway has been quoted saying the following

The Tangerines boss said: "I lost a target yesterday. Bradley-Wright Phillips is signing for Reading but such is life. We will have another look."

so fingers crossed its a done deal

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 11 Jan 2011 10:23

Well if he can do as well for us, as DJ Campbell is doing for them, then I'll be happy.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 11 Jan 2011 10:26

A little more on "Peter Reid's Blessing", from the Plymouth Herald on line
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/pafc/ar ... ticle.html
"The Herald understands Reading initially offered less than £100,000 for Wright-Phillips.

But they eventually raised their bid to around £300,000, which Argyle considered a good price for a player who would have been out of contract this summer.

Wright-Phillips would almost certainly have departed Home Park as a free agent at the end of the season.

Reid continued: "It's a terrific move for him and, let's be honest, if you were at Argyle at the moment would you hold on if you had other opportunities?

"I'm almost certain we would have lost him in the summer for nothing. That's the brutal reality of it."

Argyle have already cashed in on winger Craig Noone and centre-back Reda Johnson because of their financial crisis during the January transfer window.

Reid said: "I haven't wanted to sell the best players, but that's the way it is at the moment.

"We think the money we are getting for Bradley is a good deal, and that's why we have decided to do it."

The absence of Wright-Phillips at Bournemouth was a bitter blow to the Pilgrims' squad.

Reid admitted he had sensed before kick-off at Dean Court the players' morale had taken a hit.

He said: "The boy (Wright-Phillips) was great. He wanted to play. But Reading put a stipulation down and we went along with it. It was difficult because he has been in good form for us."
"

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Jan 2011 10:29

So when is the announcement? He can't STILL be having a medical? If he is, it's very thorough!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2011 10:37

bobby m's syrup He said: "The boy (Wright-Phillips) was great. He wanted to play. But Reading put a stipulation down and we went along with it. It was difficult because he has been in good form for us.""

That's quite interesting, it's the first time I've seen it confirmed that a bidding club dictated a players availability in such a way. We all know it goes on of course, but I don't remember a manager being quite so blatent in making it public knowledge.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 11 Jan 2011 10:37

Nothing on the local news down here. The above, (bottom of p21), is the most recent I can find. Even PASOTI is quiet on the subject so far today.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2011 10:53

apparently we are getting fiona philips instead

934 posts