CONFIRMED - Billy Sharp

1064 posts
thirtyyarder

Re: RUMOUR - Billy Sharp

by thirtyyarder » 10 Jul 2013 20:55

W&E Royal
LoyalRoyal22 Fingers crossed it doesn't happen and we sign a striker capable of playing for us in the Prem

He didn't play in the Premier League for Southampton so we don't know if he is or isn't capable. Lots of Saints fans think he should have been given a go last season.

I might upset a few people but I think he's better than Alfie.

I think Alfie's a better finisher but sharp's a better all round footballer.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 10 Jul 2013 20:55

Pepe the Horseman Just tweeted that he's in Nottingham, obvs off to Forest.

Watching the cricket at Trent Bridge.

*apologies, already posted. Also with his agent, so he may have held talks with Forest recently too (expected)

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jul 2013 10:21

Can't decide whether this would be good or not. Dunno if I'm being unfair, but it feels like we are signing a 3 star player when I had hoped we'd be going for a 4.

Not a young lad either. Might be being harsh and I suppose I ain't seen a lot of him - just his stats are a bit lame and if Southampton don't feel he is Prem quality now, why would he be in a years time?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Jul 2013 10:47

Extended-Phenotype just his stats are a bit lame

In his last 4 seasons at Champ level he's scored 59 goals from 129 games, how are those stats lame :?: :|

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jul 2013 11:00

winchester_royal

In his last 4 seasons at Champ level he's scored 59 goals from 129 games, how are those stats lame :?: :|

Apologies - his recent stats are a bit lame. Thought I'd clarified that in a previous post.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 11 Jul 2013 11:02

Extended-Phenotype
winchester_royal

Apologies - his recent stats are a bit lame. Thought I'd clarified that in a previous post.

Define recent please EP, because he was Forest's top scorer last season, and only really struggled to score when they brought in Billy Davies who got Forest playing in a way that didn't suit him and thus he fell away. 1 in 3 is hardly that lame anyway.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jul 2013 11:33

winchester_royal

Define recent please EP, because he was Forest's top scorer last season, and only really struggled to score when they brought in Billy Davies who got Forest playing in a way that didn't suit him and thus he fell away. 1 in 3 is hardly that lame anyway.

10 in 39 at Forest did not spark my dong, but if he is a prospective transfer I'd much prefer to get hard over it if you can help me.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 11 Jul 2013 11:59

Extended-Phenotype
winchester_royal

10 in 39 at Forest did not spark my dong, but if he is a prospective transfer I'd much prefer to get hard over it if you can help me.

9 sub apps tbf, and like I said SOD getting sacked did him no good as up to that point he was scoring at a better rate than 1 in 3. The season before he scored 9 goals in 11 (6) for Saints, and 40 goals in 77 (5) for Donny. Under Adkins at Scunny he also scored 53 goals in 80 (2). Therefore, not only was Forest his first spell in 4 years where he hadn't scored at a ratio of 1 in 2, but under our current manager he averages 2 goals every 3 games.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jul 2013 12:04

Sadly it's usually a players recent form which is most important.

Do you think he's a better prospect than say, Hooper?

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 11 Jul 2013 12:11

Extended-Phenotype Sadly it's usually a players recent form which is most important.

Do you think he's a better prospect than say, Hooper?

Really? Form is after all only temporary.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jul 2013 12:20

Spose. Though a great player a few years ago is not necessarily still a great player.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 11 Jul 2013 12:27

Extended-Phenotype Do you think he's a better prospect than say, Hooper?

Obviously if given the choice we'd all prefer Hooper, but that particular transfer seems very unlikely to me. As far as 'realistic' options go I think Sharp is as good as any.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jul 2013 13:14

winchester_royal
Extended-Phenotype Do you think he's a better prospect than say, Hooper?

Obviously if given the choice we'd all prefer Hooper, but that particular transfer seems very unlikely to me. As far as 'realistic' options go I think Sharp is as good as any.

Cool beans. Maybe I've been off the mark then.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 Jul 2013 19:38

WHen's he signing then?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 13 Jul 2013 04:39

Simon's Church WHen's he signing then?

Right after Austin and just before Hooper.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 13 Jul 2013 10:17

He's supposed to be in talks with us, Forest and Leeds. If so then this is the one BM mentioned last week that he's been working on for some time.. M'Boro apparently also keen now, and Doncaster too. If he wants to go back up North then we're out. If he wants to stay South then we're in. Or I guess it'll be money that will talk.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 13 Jul 2013 14:47

oxf*rd Sharp, aim higher. He didn't do much at Southampton so can't see Nigel Adkins actually wanting him. I imagine we would have signed him already if we really wanted him.

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 13 Jul 2013 15:17

LoyalRoyal22 oxf*rd Sharp, aim higher. He didn't do much at Southampton so can't see Nigel Adkins actually wanting him. I imagine we would have signed him already if we really wanted him.

You keep saying aim higher. Like who then? You really do need to get real! The club doesn't throw money around, it still tries to be prudent, so you wont see £4m+ spent on anyone at this level, certainly not unless we sell someone and use much of that money to fund it. You seem to be getting a tad carried away in thinking we can attract proven Premier League strikers here (why would they drop down?). Sharp is proven at this level and could walk into ANY of the sides in this league! Can he do it if we go up? Probably not, no - but nor can a lot of this squad. You then have to be ruthless and chop and change, not overly loyal as BM and STC were.

alfiesaywhat

by alfiesaywhat » 13 Jul 2013 16:01

Judge Drenthe
LoyalRoyal22 oxf*rd Sharp, aim higher. He didn't do much at Southampton so can't see Nigel Adkins actually wanting him. I imagine we would have signed him already if we really wanted him.

You keep saying aim higher. Like who then? You really do need to get real! The club doesn't throw money around, it still tries to be prudent, so you wont see £4m+ spent on anyone at this level, certainly not unless we sell someone and use much of that money to fund it. You seem to be getting a tad carried away in thinking we can attract proven Premier League strikers here (why would they drop down?). Sharp is proven at this level and could walk into ANY of the sides in this league! Can he do it if we go up? Probably not, no - but nor can a lot of this squad. You then have to be ruthless and chop and change, not overly loyal as BM and STC were.

Very true, we are not a club like QPR who throws money around, but I think under Adkins and Zingarevich it will be slightly different than the Coppell and McDermott years (excluding Rodgers as I don't remember him signing anyone). Compare the transfers from this summer to last and tell me that they are of the same quality. No way would we have gotten Drenthe, Bridge and the promising Williams last summer as it was partly Reading's strategy but mainly McDermott's to sign players of championship and below levels. I would be pleased with Sharp as he is a good striker at this level but I do think that he is perhaps very slightly below the standard of player that would prove our status as a top Championship team who can get promoted and stay there for a while (ie longer than a season (no disrespect to BM)). By aim higher he means the likes of Hooper and Austin, not players who are proven in the Premier League but players who would not in any way be dropping down a level if they came to Reading.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 13 Jul 2013 16:15

Nicely put. Yeh, that is pretty much what I am saying. :D

1064 posts