CONFIRMED - Alex Pearce re-signs

559 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Alex Pearce

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Jun 2013 16:31

Geekins
TBM Pearce wont play much for us next season though - he shot himself in the foot with that one

I can see him going to a Leicester or Bolton

He isn't even that good. Reminds me of Sonko. Great at heading but shit with the ball at his feet.

Working in an environment where passing and keeping the ball are going to be encouraged may well change that perception

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jun 2013 16:32

Barry the bird boggler
Geekins
TBM Pearce wont play much for us next season though - he shot himself in the foot with that one

He isn't even that good. Reminds me of Sonko. Great at heading but shit with the ball at his feet.

Working in an environment where passing and keeping the ball are going to be encouraged may well change that perception

What, his heading is going to go to shit?

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 19 Jun 2013 16:33

Last summer I drunkenly told him his best foot was his head so it's my fault he's leaving and I am so sorry.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 19 Jun 2013 16:35

Alex Pearce zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jun 2013 16:39

MouldyRoyal Last summer I drunkenly told him his best foot was his head so it's my fault he's leaving and I am so sorry.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jun 2013 16:46

Barry the bird boggler
Geekins

was even worse at it under rodgers

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Jun 2013 16:47

melonhead
Barry the bird boggler

was even worse at it under rodgers

So was everyone.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jun 2013 18:12

melonhead Brings it out of defence nicely on occasion tbf

He looks clumsy a lot of the time, but he seems to know his limitations with passing and usually tries to play it simple, so I agree. My complaint would be his headers tend to find an opposition player. He's occasionally caught flat footed and is a bit slow, but he's a good reader of the game and a good defender.

Maps looks like a player capable of making a better step up to me, although they're similar quality currently. As does Morrison, though that's somewhat less certain and Morro's a fair bit behind him currently.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 19 Jun 2013 18:21

MouldyRoyal Last summer I drunkenly told him his best foot was his head so it's my fault he's leaving and I am so sorry.

:D

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 19 Jun 2013 23:36

He may end up at a team with former Champions League glory, one of the most historic clubs in Britain...

Yes that's right.... Leeds

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 19 Jun 2013 23:46

Reading4eva He may end up at a team with former Champions League glory, one of the most historic clubs in Britain...

Yes that's right.... Leeds

Or he may not.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Jun 2013 14:39

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ew-4687921

Alex Pearce closer to signing a new deal with Reading FC

Alex Pearce is close to signing a new deal with Reading FC after talks over a new contract took a step forward during the past fortnight.

The defender has been at loggerheads with the club over a new contract for the past year and played just 19 games in the Premier League last season.

His present deal is due to expire at the end of this month and the likes of Liverpool and Newcastle are said to be interested in signing him on a free transfer.

But a source close to the player has revealed that he is now ‘close’ to putting pen to paper with the Royals following positive discussions over the last two weeks.

Pearce has always said he would like to remain with the Royals during the contract dispute although he has admitted to being flattered by the links to Premier League clubs.

“I’ve always maintained that I want to stay at Reading,” he said. “But I also want to feel valued and I’m not asking to be the top-earner at the club, nowhere near it.

“I’m just asking to be on par with some of the others and it’s up to the people at the club to make me feel valued.

“They (contract talks) are still on-going and hopefully we can get a deal reached at Reading.”

He added: “Obviously it’s very flattering to be linked with Premier League clubs. Everyone wants to play in the Premier League and I’ve had a taste of it this year and I certainly want more of it in my future.”

Pearce came through the ranks at Reading having been spotted by scouts while playing for his hometown club of Oxford as a 12-year-old.

He signed his first professional deal in 2006 before making his first team debut in an FA Cup win against Burnley in 2007.

The 24-year-old has gone on to make nearly 150 appearances for the club and was voted player of the season during the Championship winning campaign of 2011/12.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Jun 2013 14:47

I look forward to going all Alex Ferguson and claiming it is like a new signing

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 20 Jun 2013 14:48

Probably waiting to Announce this and the Drenthe signing together....

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 20 Jun 2013 15:48

In fairness, I wouldn't be too fussed if he did leave.

Marriappa = better then Pearce
Morrison = As good as Pearce IMO
Gorrks = Was as good as Pearce when we got promoted = decent in Championship

..not that fussed, think he thinks he's better than he is.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 20 Jun 2013 17:19

Rollerbob In fairness, I wouldn't be too fussed if he did leave.

Marriappa = better then Pearce
Morrison = As good as Pearce IMO
Gorrks = Was as good as Pearce when we got promoted = decent in Championship

..not that fussed, think he thinks he's better than he is.

Morrison is charasmatic and a bit of a beast, sure, but he makes a shit-ton of errors and his positional sense is pretty crap to be honest.
Him and Gorkss are really not as good or better than Pearce.
Marriappa is very good though.

yappy

by yappy » 20 Jun 2013 17:27

Agreed, to be honest I don't rate Morrison as highly as most on here. Think Pearce & Mariappa could potentially make a great partnership.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Jun 2013 17:30

Taking age difference into account think Morrison is better than Pearce was at that point in his development.

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 20 Jun 2013 18:02

ZacNaloen Taking age difference into account think Morrison is better than Pearce was at that point in his development.

Pearce is still young remember though, don't get why people are saying they aren't fussed about Pearce, yeah he's probably asking for too much money, but if we get to keep one of our best defenders and academy products in the process, I am not going to be complaining. He was our POTS and the rock in our defence that effectively won us the league, if we keep him I will be chuffed considering we'd all given up hope months ago.

Esteban

by Esteban » 20 Jun 2013 18:07

I don't see what's changed in the past couple of weeks to make him change his mind. Other player's salaries have probably come down since relegation, but I doubt our offer has gone up.

559 posts